Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Loughborough or Sheffield as insurance? I think I've made the wrong choice.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I want to study chemical engineering. I have firmed Bath and put Loughborough as my insurance.
    My Loughborough offer is AAB and my Sheffield is AAA or AAB with an A in EPQ, so Loughborough is a safer option. Loughborough also seem more highly regarded with industries etc, employment rates seem better.
    However, I think I preferred Sheffield in terms of the University as a whole. I've already sent off my decision so I think it might be too late to change and even if it wasn't, should I pick Sheffield or Loughborough?

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty difficult to get below an A in the EPQ, plus Sheffield is known for its leniency so I wouldn't say Loughborough is noticeably safer.

Going off unistats (which is where you want to go for employment statistics because their stuff is rather detailed) the employment for ChemEng is fairly similar when broken down to different career fields but overall Loughborough has 15% unemployment compared to Sheffield's 5.

Sheffield generally has better facilities than other unis because they've recently built a new engineering building and the engineering faculty has a ridiculous amount of spare money lying around so that's part of why it seems a bit nicer.

I would say ask UCAS before you think about it any more though, there's no point worrying about something you can't change.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.