Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i have a friend who is applying for uni and they've stupidly left it too late. i told him to make a thread here on tsr about his situation but her doesn't want it on his 'records' (idk what he means) so he's making me ask his question here. anyways...

so my friend needs a reference for his application, he contacted his past tutor but they haven't replied according to him he thinks they're avoiding him as he sent an email first asking for a reference. he then found out you could get the application you made last year back from ucas, which he did. so now what he wants to do is put his referees details in the reference section names, address, number etc. but change their email address to a fake one he created then when ucas sends an email to that address for the reference he can just simply copy and paste it. he says if he gets caught he'll explain his situation to the unis he's applied for. i personally don't see anything wrong with this as he isn't forging a fake reference but just simply finding a way to get his old one into his application. but what do you guys think should he do it?

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I guess it would work but, is it not too late to apply through UCAS? Or is your friend applying directly? The deadline has been already
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cathzeta10)
    i have a friend who is applying for uni and they've stupidly left it too late. i told him to make a thread here on tsr about his situation but her doesn't want it on his 'records' (idk what he means) so he's making me ask his question here. anyways...

so my friend needs a reference for his application, he contacted his past tutor but they haven't replied according to him he thinks they're avoiding him as he sent an email first asking for a reference. he then found out you could get the application you made last year back from ucas, which he did. so now what he wants to do is put his referees details in the reference section names, address, number etc. but change their email address to a fake one he created then when ucas sends an email to that address for the reference he can just simply copy and paste it. he says if he gets caught he'll explain his situation to the unis he's applied for. i personally don't see anything wrong with this as he isn't forging a fake reference but just simply finding a way to get his old one into his application. but what do you guys think should he do it?

thanks in advance
    I think he should accept that it's too late and not commit fraud, there's late applications and extra he can use honestly.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    If he uses a free email account (such as gmail, hotmail, yahoo etc) then the unis will contact the referee for verification of the reference anyway. This means he will get found out, and will be in trouble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypnotismm)
    I guess it would work but, is it not too late to apply through UCAS? Or is your friend applying directly? The deadline has been already
    i think the deadlines at 18:00 i guess he's got some time but not a lot. i think it could work too especially if he explain to the unis/ucas as he isn't faking his reference but simply making sure his application gets in on time.

thanks for replying
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The deadline is in 1 hour, just do a fake one you've got nothing to lose lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I think he should accept that it's too late and not commit fraud, there's late applications and extra he can use honestly.
    i guess but is it really fraud tho? he's just using a fake email to send in his reference to ucas it's not like he's writing the reference. anyways thanks for replying tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikachū)
    The deadline is in 1 hour, just do a fake one you've got nothing to lose lol
    lol thats what i was thinking i'll call him now and see whether he'll do it or not
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    i guess but is it really fraud tho? he's just using a fake email to send in his reference to ucas it's not like he's writing the reference. anyways thanks for replying tho.
    It's deceptive at the least, it's not something ucas or universities will be happy with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    It's deceptive at the least, it's not something ucas or universities will be happy with.
    i guess...

ReputationRep:
    i think the deadlines at 18:00 i guess he's got some time but not a lot. i think it could work too especially if he explain to the unis/ucas as he isn't faking his reference but simply making sure his application gets in on time.

thanks for replying
    Was the UCAS deadline not on the 13th? Genuinely I think it would just be considered fraud anyway. Why doesn't he just use his tutors actual email if they wrote it in the first place? This is really something he should have sorted out before it was too late

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypnotismm)
    Was the UCAS deadline not on the 13th? Genuinely I think it would just be considered fraud anyway. Why doesn't he just use his tutors actual email if they wrote it in the first place? This is really something he should have sorted out before it was too late
    nah the deadlines today at 18:00. i mean i guess it is fraud but its not like the information hes giving (reference) is made up tho his tutor actually wrote it their just avoiding contact with him for some reason. because if he uses their actual email he'll have to wait until they respond to it which would be way past the deadline. i tried telling him he should have sent his application at least by the end of December and now look at the situation he's in lol

ReputationRep:
    nah the deadlines today at 18:00. i mean i guess it is fraud but its not like the information hes giving (reference) is made up tho his tutor actually wrote it their just avoiding contact with him for some reason. because if he uses their actual email he'll have to wait until they respond to it which would be way past the deadline. i tried telling him he should have sent his application at least by the end of December and now look at the situation he's in lol
    I wouldn't suggest doing it but it's his funeral. If he got caught out he'd probably be banned from using UCAS, it might be worth waiting a year instead of being banned completely or for years, or potentially getting in more trouble (I don't know what the punishment for it would be)

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE: quick update, he ended up not doing it lol (too scared he'd get in trouble lol) he's instead going to call his uni's about his ref situation and in the mean time try and get ahold of his referee.

thanks for the advice and suggestion guys

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE: quick update, he ended up not doing it lol (too scared he'd get in trouble lol) he's instead going to call his uni's about his ref situation and in the mean time try and get ahold of his referee.

He could have sent the application with no reference and then contact the unis about the reference situation and it would be better but i guess its late now.

Also good he didnt do it since with the reference part u need predicted grades.So either he had to leave it blank or put in fake grades so yea...

ReputationRep:

I would of have gone through with it lmao #REBEL

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.