Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im doing a biochemistry degree at UCL in my first year. Every I look I see that the job prospects are bad. I'm also not enjoying it very much, I'm enjoying the chemistry side of things more and Im getting higher marks in chemistry tests than the biology side, except practicals which are kinda boring. I also dont have the motivation for it because of the job prospects. I'm thinking of changing to just chemistry as I think it's most similar but even that might be a stretch, at least it's more mathematical than biochemsitry. I don't want to work as a researcher or in science as I find practicals quite boring and also to be honest, money is a big motivator. Would a chemistry degree be better for things like banking or other graduate jobs at least 25k starting salary. I don't know if the uni will let me switch at this stage. Can I please have advice as I don't want to be stuck with an unrespected degree before it's too late.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    If you're not interested in research and practicals don't appeal then it's worth changing as you will do better at things you enjoy and are good at. In terms of banking, even chem isn't a directly relevant degree so what you'll be selling yourself with is transferable skills which you can get from pretty much any science oriented degree. As you're in your first year and will have done quite a bit of chem already changing shouldn't be impossible but the earlier you ask and do it the better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    If you're not interested in research and practicals don't appeal then it's worth changing as you will do better at things you enjoy and are good at. In terms of banking, even chem isn't a directly relevant degree so what you'll be selling yourself with is transferable skills which you can get from pretty much any science oriented degree. As you're in your first year and will have done quite a bit of chem already changing shouldn't be impossible but the earlier you ask and do it the better.
    Are the job prospects and salary better for chemistry?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    They're comparable because the skills gained are broadly similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    They're comparable because the skills gained are broadly similar.
    Ok, I might just move away from chemistry too. Do you know what is the best degree for wide variety of jobs and generally well paying? I don't want to waste my time and money on a degree that won't get me anywhere.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Having a degree in itself makes you employable in a variety of sectors due to the transferable skills you gain. If it's just money you're after then look at the highest paying jobs and find out what qualifications or experience you need for them. Otherwise just pick what you enjoy doing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.