Turn on thread page Beta

I Need some advise :) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, i got my gcse results today and i have a range of results from A*'s/A's and B's. I have chosen biology, chemistry, ICT and RS for AS/A level and i am going to start sixth form early september, my aim is to study medicine at university, i understand that this is a very competetive course and therefore i would need to work really hard at AS/A level.
    Can anyone give me some advise generally on the difficulties of college/sixth form acedemic wise or any other suitable advise that you may think will help.

Thanks

ƒlå®è®

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ƒlå®è®)
    Hey guys, i got my gcse results today and i have a range of results from A*'s/A's and B's. I have chosen biology, chemistry, ICT and RS for AS/A level and i am going to start sixth form early september, my aim is to study medicine at university, i understand that this is a very competetive course and therefore i would need to work really hard at AS/A level.
    Can anyone give me some advise generally on the difficulties of college/sixth form acedemic wise or any other suitable advise that you may think will help.

Thanks

ƒlå®è®
    rs and ict should not pose to much a problem to you. what did you get in science? chem and biology are pretty tough, u just gotta work hard(unlike me) and ull be ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    rs and ict should not pose to much a problem to you. what did you get in science? chem and biology are pretty tough, u just gotta work hard(unlike me) and ull be ok.
    I did double award science and got AA.

Yes i purposely chose some two "not so difficult"(in my opinion) subject such as ICT and RS so i can keep my most attention on biology and chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    I did double award science and got AA.

Yes i purposely chose some two "not so difficult"(in my opinion) subject such as ICT and RS so i can keep my most attention on biology and chemistry.
    which rs course are you doing? i did Religious studies: philosophy and ethics (AQA).
    i chose that thinking it would be an 'easy' option (i also did maths, psychology and economics) and i think it's my hardest subject- it is just so different to gcse rs. you have to give such balanced arguments and there is a lot to learn, you have to really understand every topic. it's really good tho.

ReputationRep:

Thanks

ƒlå®è®
    OK, some advice, (spelled with a 'c' when it's a noun!!!! ) on studying etc.

Most importantly - little and often. Work steadily and try hard not to leave things until the tomorrow that never comes. I confess to being lousy at this....

It might be good to read up a bit on good study techniques before starting 6th form - you've got 10 days or so, so grab more or less anything by Tony Buzan. He's a great brain and learning expert. Learning mind-mapping and memory techniques will help a lot and you can begin to use them at once. I found that using colour, keywords, pictures and so on really helped my recall for my Uni exams and I intend to continue to use this method throughout my futher studies, (I want to do some more A Levels as mine were awful!!).

Eat healthily, get plenty of quality sleep and make time for fun too. Remember, at the end of the day, if you fluff it and don't get into medicine, there are loads of other worthwhile careers in health - esp nutrition, which is probably more valuable as it teaches people to take control of and responsibility for their own health rather than relying on the Doc!=) Bio and Chem are needed for that.

Good hunting!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm a prospective medical student too (about to embark on my A2s). Firstly well done on your GCSE grades! A piece of advice is that some people who do well at GCSE (like yourself) may become too complacent, don't allow yourself to slip your standards or you will get burnt once your AS results come.

Also, I'm curious to why you have chosen ICT at AS level standard; ICT is a good choice for GCSE but at AS/A2 standard it is thought of as a 'soft' option and universities generally don't acknowledge it as well as other subjects. I would consider changing your subject if possible which seems extremely feasible considering your GCSE success.

Work hard for your AS's so hopefully you can have a strong foundation for A2s (for example if you do get a high A in AS, you only need to score an overall B in A2 to score an A overall).

Other than that join new societies, explore new options and take it slow but steady!

Sixth form is a blast, make sure you enjoy yourself!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for the adviCe

(Original post by Lucy)
    Hey,

I'm a prospective medical student too (about to embark on my A2s). Firstly well done on your GCSE grades! A piece of advice is that some people who do well at GCSE (like yourself) may become too complacent, don't allow yourself to slip your standards or you will get burnt once your AS results come.

Also, I'm curious to why you have chosen ICT at AS level standard; ICT is a good choice for GCSE but at AS/A2 standard it is thought of as a 'soft' option and universities generally don't acknowledge it as well as other subjects. I would consider changing your subject if possible which seems extremely feasible considering your GCSE success.

Work hard for your AS's so hopefully you can have a strong foundation for A2s (for example if you do get a high A in AS, you only need to score an overall B in A2 to score an A overall).

Other than that join new societies, explore new options and take it slow but steady!

Sixth form is a blast, make sure you enjoy yourself!
    I chose ICT because i thought it would be a useful qualification to have in the future, having some kind of ICT knowledge i would have thought does help in the future, but i am stil not sure, which subject would you suggest that will help my chances at going to a university that offers medicine. I have considered maths however i have established that while doing biology and chemistry and with their difficulties(so i have heard), maths will take quite a bit of time to completely learn when i could be concentrating mostly on biology and chemistry.

Thanks

(Original post by Lucy)
    That's very good advice. It's worth working hard at A/S since it is generally easier than A2 even in context of the standards required at each level. It may take a while to settle into the 6th form way of things, but once you do, make the most of it.
    If you get perfect A grades in all 3 modules of a subject (ie 300/300 UMS points - which doesn't mean you need to get 100% on your paper!) you only need to get the lowest Ds in the 3 A2 modules to reach the 480/600 boundary needed for an overall A. It's worth getting to understand the UMS system before, or shortly after, you get your A/S results, as it may be worth resitting some areas for easy points (for example Pure Maths, where understanding is developed using the principles previously learnt, rather than moving onto different subject areas).

D
    -x-

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for the adviCe

I chose ICT because i thought it would be a useful qualification to have in the future, having some kind of ICT knowledge i would have thought does help in the future, but i am stil not sure, which subject would you suggest that will help my chances at going to a university that offers medicine. I have considered maths however i have established that while doing biology and chemistry and with their difficulties(so i have heard), maths will take quite a bit of time to completely learn when i could be concentrating mostly on biology and chemistry.

Thanks
    I know where you are coming from, personally I would have loved to take ICT up to AS level as I really enjoyed the GCSE but my school didn't teach it and recommended me not to bother to take it out of school and instead use my time instead to work on my other subjects or choose an extra, different subject.

I assume you have taken ICT at GCSE which I am positive gives you enough computer skills for the future already. Plus you will get plenty of chances to use different computer programs through your other subjects.

As for another subject, maths or physics are the obvious ones but they may not be right for you if you don't think you'll be able to cope. Otherwise there are many other options which are just as impressive and it is really choosing what feels right.

You should think carefully on whether you really want to do ICT or not. If you do than you should still go for it because it is more important that you are 100% happy with your choices. There is no point doing something else, hating it and then failing it.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    I know where you are coming from, personally I would have loved to take ICT up to AS level as I really enjoyed the GCSE but my school didn't teach it and recommended me not to bother to take it out of school and instead use my time instead to work on my other subjects or choose an extra, different subject.

I assume you have taken ICT at GCSE which I am positive gives you enough computer skills for the future already. Plus you will get plenty of chances to use different computer programs through your other subjects.

As for another subject, maths or physics are the obvious ones but they may not be right for you if you don't think you'll be able to cope. Otherwise there are many other options which are just as impressive and it is really choosing what feels right.

You should think carefully on whether you really want to do ICT or not. If you do than you should still go for it because it is more important that you are 100% happy with your choices. There is no point doing something else, hating it and then failing it.

Good luck!

Yes i understand what you mean. The sixth form i am going to allows us to try out any subject for four weeks. If for some reason we dislike a subject we are allowed to change subjects within the four weeks. I am planning just to see how ICT goes for the four weeks and make my decision then.

Thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    If you want to medicine at uni I would seriously consider taking maths and or physics instead of IT and/or RE. The fact that you're considering medicine suggests you are an A student, so this combination of subjects should not be too difficult. Honestly, A-levels aren't that difficult, and you should be doing ones which are considered 'hard', to give you an edge over other prospective medicine students. Also an arts subject at least to AS wouldn't hurt, something like History or RE would be OK for that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes i understand what you mean. The sixth form i am going to allows us to try out any subject for four weeks. If for some reason we dislike a subject we are allowed to change subjects within the four weeks. I am planning just to see how ICT goes for the four weeks and make my decision then.

Thank you for your help
    That sounds like a good idea to give you a chance to mull your options over. Then you'll also see how your friends and other students are finding other subjects. In the end I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you which is the most important thing!

ReputationRep:
    The best advice is to keep up with your work!!! Life is a lot easier if you keep up to date and don't have any made panics!!

Also, maths seems like a better option at AS level than ICT. Give maths a go - it isn't that bad!!!

Get involved in something like Young Enterprise as well or do voluntary work/Duke of Edinburgh's Award - great fun and looks good on your CV.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do at AS level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sas104)
    Get involved in something like Young Enterprise as well or do voluntary work/Duke of Edinburgh's Award - great fun and looks good on your CV.
    Oh yes I forgot, make sure you start doing some regular voluntary work soon (I started in October) so that next year you can show commitment in that area. Also get work experience under your belt (definitely apply for a placement in a hospital if you haven't done so already).

Make sure you go on Open Days at the beginning of the 'Open Day' period as later on you wont have time (you'll be too busy trying to rush through the last bit of the syllabus).

ReputationRep:
    Hi Flare. Another prospective Med Student I just got my gcse results.
    Science Double AA, Maths- A, I.T- A, English- A
    Overall- 7 A's 3 B's !
    Well. Ive chosen exactly same as you. apart from the fact im not quite sure on my fourth subject! im doing chem, bio, IT and ?
    Anyways, you dont need another science or maths! obviosuly it may help a little but the pressure becomes overwhelming. Uni's want a diversified student not a total hard neck academic genius. They want someone with various qualities. IT will help a lot as in todays day and age IT is coming more and more into the scope even medicine. I was thinking of doing Physochology as it is a social science and helps with medicine. History would be very good thats another option i was considering as its thought of more higherly and also is a social science!
    get involved in young enterprise duke of edingborough! Volunteer at local hospital.
    Ive phoned and checked on uni entrance they want Chemistry and another science biology is favoured.

Anyways im in it just like you so this is pretempt talk!

Good Luck!

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.