Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so i'm doing this exam question and they want me to show how his theory explains subduction. However I'm struggling to find a link between the two?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wait what. I thought Wegner's theory is in the Physics spec, not the chemistry one. Wegner's theory was that a long time ago, Earth was one big continent. This means that the plates would have to move for that to happen and subduction sort of shows that the plates are moving.

Anyways... the question you gave was quite peculiar.

(Original post by ra1500)
    Ok so i'm doing this exam question and they want me to show how his theory explains subduction. However I'm struggling to find a link between the two?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    One of the reasons why Wegner's theory was not accepted at the time was because his theory didn't also explain how the plates moved. (since no one knew about tectonic plates and subduction). Therefore I don't think his theory really explains subduction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoyfan)
    Wait what. I thought Wegner's theory is in the Physics spec, not the chemistry one. Wegner's theory was that a long time ago, Earth was one big continent. This means that the plates would have to move for that to happen and subduction sort of shows that the plates are moving.

Anyways... the question you gave was quite peculiar.

One of the reasons why Wegner's theory was not accepted at the time was because his theory didn't also explain how the plates moved. (since no one knew about tectonic plates and subduction). Therefore I don't think his theory really explains subduction.
    much appreciated, thanks for your time

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.