Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me out with this? I've looked it up on Solutionbank but I don't quite get how they make it to the answer. Thanks.

Name:  Screenshot_2017-01-15-17-40-24.png
Views: 117
Size:  113.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisWolff)
    Can anyone help me out with this? I've looked it up on Solutionbank but I don't quite get how they make it to the answer. Thanks.

What have you done so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:

Knowing that the normal distribution is symmetrical about the mean, if p(-4 < x < 4) = 0.6, what can you say about p(0 geq x < 4) and why does this help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matrix123)
    What have you done so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is all I have so far.
    Name:  1484502384422473472426.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  500.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Knowing that the normal distribution is symmetrical about the mean, if p(-4 < x < 4) = 0.6, what can you say about p(0 geq x < 4) and why does this help?
    So I was assuming that P(X<4) - P(X<-4) = 0.6, so it's 0.3 on each side that's shaded in, and 0.2 on each side that isn't shaded in. Not quite sure how to move on from there.

ReputationRep:
    So I was assuming that P(X<4) - P(X<-4) = 0.6, so it's 0.3 on each side that's shaded in, and 0.2 on each side that isn't shaded in. Not quite sure how to move on from there.
    You therefore know P(X<4) don't you? You can then calculate this using the normal distribution table.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  428.2 KB Does this work?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Remember that the x values can be converted to z values, but at the moment you can't do that yet as you don't have anything of the form P(X<x) on its own (you have two in the equation in your post, which cant be used now but it is going in the right direction)

You are 100% correct in that it is 0.3 on each side, so what is P(X<4) using that fact and one fact that you know about normal distribution?

And why is knowing what P(X<4) is useful? I have dropped a hint as to why it is already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matrix123)
    You therefore know P(X<4) don't you? You can then calculate this using the normal distribution table.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Name:  1484502937897768585533.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  498.3 KB

I might have sorted it - I'm not sure whether I've fluffed my way to an answer or if this genuinely works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Remember that the x values can be converted to z values, but at the moment you can't do that yet as you don't have anything of the form P(X<x) on its own (you have two in the equation in your post, which cant be used now but it is going in the right direction)

You are 100% correct in that it is 0.3 on each side, so what is P(X<4) using that fact and one fact that you know about normal distribution?

And why is knowing what P(X<4) is useful? I have dropped a hint as to why it is already.
    So, P(X<4) is 0.2, and therefore P(X<-4) is 0.2 due to symmetry. I feel really silly but I'm not connecting the dots here. I've posted another attempt at a solution above but I'm not sure whether I've just made it by luck or not.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    So, P(X<4) is 0.2, and therefore P(X<-4) is 0.2 due to symmetry. I feel really silly but I'm not connecting the dots here. I've posted another attempt at a solution above but I'm not sure whether I've just made it by luck or not.
    When picturing symmetry use the bell shaped sketch.

P(X<4) is actually 0.8 which I think you knew, because there is 0.3 between 4 and 0 and you know that because it's symmetrical, 0.5 is greater than the mean and 0.5 less than the mean, which is this case = 0, and so P(X<4) = P(0<x<4) + P(0 geq 4) (see how this makes sense from the diagram) = 0.5 + 0.3 = 0,8 so you can now find what the standard deviation is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bean sprout)
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  428.2 KB Does this work?
    Thanks for the help mate - I'm a little confused about the Φ symbols, what I'm inferring is that's in place of a P(X) bracket? Your solution looks sort of what I've had an attempt at, do you reckon what I've done is okay? Name:  20170115_175551.jpg
Views: 73

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help mate - I'm a little confused about the Φ symbols, what I'm inferring is that's in place of a P(X) bracket? Your solution looks sort of what I've had an attempt at, do you reckon what I've done is okay? Name:  20170115_175551.jpg
Views: 73
    Yes, you did it right. We have a slightly diferent answer purely because my data booklet only goes to two decimal places. As for the phi symbol, it represents the cumulative distribution function to the left of that point. e.g. phi(0)=0.5

What exam board do you use?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you did it right. We have a slightly diferent answer purely because my data booklet only goes to two decimal places. As for the phi symbol, it represents the cumulative distribution function to the left of that point. e.g. phi(0)=0.5

What exam board do you use?
    Edexcel, there might be a bit of a difference between them.

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel, there might be a bit of a difference between them.
    I'm on edexcell aswell, in the formula booklet they write it using Phi too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on edexcell aswell, in the formula booklet they write it using Phi too.
    Yeah, you're right, weirdly I've never used phi in an answer at all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.