Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When to move out of parents house after uni?!? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering your opinions on the issue I'm facing at the moment.

I finished my undergrad degree in Psychology in June and I moved back to my parents house with the intention to learn how to drive, get a relevant full-time job and save up money before later completing a masters.

I have been at home 6 months now and I have just landed a relevant full time job that I enjoy. However, I've come to realise how much my quality of life is affected living with my parents. This is because they baby me a lot which I appreciate but I can feel my pride withering away and myself become more and more immature. I also feel like I am missing out on a lot as I find it really hard for me to be my true self whilst at home (for example, they are unaware that I am gay) and I know that you'd say I need to tell them but I do not feel comfortable with that until I was completely independent.

Furthermore, I have managed to save up £12,000 from when I was young and I have decent wages coming in every month. However I'm still trying to decipher whether it is more irresponsible to move out of free accommodation where I will be able to save a good sum of money just because I'm unhappy. Or to stay in a situation where my personal growth is inhibited and sponge off of my parents for a bit longer.

Sorry for the essay guys. Just wondering if anyone out there has some much needed wisdom?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'd say move out when you're ready to move out. You say you want to get a full-time job so you can save money for a master's, how long do you reckon that will take? If you move out now, that will delay the process because most of your salary will go towards rent or accommodation so do take that into consideration. I personally would stay at home until after a master's. I'm 23 and I'm still living at home, I'm planning on doing my master's this year and I'm currently working full-time. I'd like to move out of the house about a year after I complete my master's. I'm a bit like you, it's hard for me to do things while at home because of parents but I still go out and have fun when I can. If you can hold out for a bit longer, it would seem the best option to make use of the free accommodation and get your master's out of the way.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Assuming your wages are enough to pay bills for yourself with that amount of savings I d be moving out now.

ReputationRep:
    it's really a case of where your priorities are

I never moved back in with my parents after uni but I also haven't managed to save much and buying a house is going to be a long way off (whereas I've spent probably £16-7k on rent so far which is basically money down the drain)

there's no right way to do it

ReputationRep:
    If my kids were in your position they would be shown the door. No more "when I grow up". You are there. Time to stand on your own two feet.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not moving home after uni.. i know my parents will let me stay whenever i need to though. It's whenever you feel ready

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.