Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Who else is a little freaked out by this? There is not enough info... and a grade nine is higher than an A*!! Yet some people still expect me to get it...

ReputationRep:
    What's gonna be weird is if I have an a* in something I've got top grade available whereas somebody with a 2 isn't gonna have top so when it comes to qualifications for stuff I'll look better to certain people even tho it's the same.

Luckily for the kids, when I did gcse I never got any A*s
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    What's gonna be weird is if I have an a* in something I've got top grade available whereas somebody with a 2 isn't gonna have top so when it comes to qualifications for stuff I'll look better to certain people even tho it's the same.

Luckily for the kids, when I did gcse I never got any A*s
    9 is the highest grade in the new GCSE. That confused me when I first learnt it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    ffs I swear I got told the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    Some are calling the new 9 grade a censored slang for bottom.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You're not alone. From the TES this week:

ReputationRep:
    I did my gcses last year so thankfully will not have to deal with this, but in all honesty it is ridiculous and pointless. The people who get these grades are going to spend a very long time explaining what their grade is equivalent to. It serves no purpose at all. Does anyone know the reason why the government decided to implement it?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IfYouCanDreamIt)
    I did my gcses last year so thankfully will not have to deal with this, but in all honesty it is ridiculous and pointless. The people who get these grades are going to spend a very long time explaining what their grade is equivalent to. It serves no purpose at all. Does anyone know the reason why the government decided to implement it?
    E.g. the A* was too easy to get in the old system. If the paper was made harder and the boundaries were kept the same then people would complain. If the paper was kept the same and the boundaries were increased then people would complain.

Now we have a completely new grading system, people will be too confused to complain.

ReputationRep:
    E.g. the A* was too easy to get in the old system. If the paper was made harder and the boundaries were kept the same then people would complain. If the paper was kept the same and the boundaries were increased then people would complain.

Now we have a completely new grading system, people will be too confused to complain.
    It makes sense that the government would do that, but surely they could have come up with a better solution. For instance they could introduced a new grade above an A* like in further maths where the highest grade was A^. That might not be the best system but any other way would be better than this new system. No doubt by the time we get used to it they'll decide to change it again.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IfYouCanDreamIt)
    It makes sense that the government would do that, but surely they could have come up with a better solution. For instance they could introduced a new grade above an A* like in further maths where the highest grade was A^. That might not be the best system but any other way would be better than this new system. No doubt by the time we get used to it they'll decide to change it again.
    That's kind of what they've done. A* is equivalent to an 8 and they've introduced a 9 which you could say is like an A**.

If they kept the old system and introduced an A** then firstly it looks ridiculous and secondly people from previous years would complain that they didn't get the opportunity to get an A**.

Plus it wasn't just the A* that was a problem - there were problems with a lot of the old grading system. All solutions would have had their pros/cons but what was decided was a fresh grading system.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.