Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this a sign that that the Government are desperate to punish the middle class? Watch

ReputationRep:
    That top universities are rejecting well-qualified students from the independent sector simply to fulfil a government policy of social engineering? As a very promising A-level candidate, I was rejected from Oxford despite a glowing reference from my school. My place was undoubtedly given to some state-school muppet who had BBC in subjects like Media or Communication and Culture or something, or better yet, were black. After my rejection, I had to accept a place at KCL and, no doubt due to my shattered confidence, I achieved ABB in my A-levels. Is this government so desperate to punish parents who care about their children that they'd happily ruin their childrens' futures? Is this yet another sign of Broken Britain permeating the middle classes?

I suppose I’m venting because I’m hating my first year living in London, and the thought of some dunce taking my place at Oxford because of social engineering makes it more upsetting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinyhoneybee)
    That top universities are rejecting well-qualified students from the independent sector simply to fulfil a government policy of social engineering? As a very promising A-level candidate, I was rejected from Oxford despite a glowing reference from my school. My place was undoubtedly given to some state-school muppet who had BBC in subjects like Media or Communication and Culture or something, or better yet, were black. After my rejection, I had to accept a place at KCL and, no doubt due to my shattered confidence, I achieved ABB in my A-levels. Is this government so desperate to punish parents who care about their children that they'd happily ruin their childrens' futures? Is this yet another sign of Broken Britain permeating the middle classes?

I suppose I’m venting because I’m hating my first year living in London, and the thought of some dunce taking my place at Oxford because of social engineering makes it more upsetting.
    I think you just think too much of yourself and you are being needlessly offensive and borderline racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elekro)
    I think you just think too much of yourself and you are being needlessly offensive and borderline racist.
    Or more likely it's a UCL student trolling Kings.

ReputationRep:
    ABB doesn't meet any Oxford entry requirements, so you can't blame "some state-school muppet" for taking "your place". If "Your place" was given to a hard-working student from a lower class background who, despite all the social and financial difficulties they face in gaining access to Oxford or any other prestigious university you cannot complain considering you did not meet the academic requirements for entry into Oxford. Your sense of entitlement disgusts me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c0fus3d)
    ABB doesn't meet any Oxford entry requirements, so you can't blame "some state-school muppet" for taking "your place". If "Your place" was given to a hard-working student from a lower class background who, despite all the social and financial difficulties they face in gaining access to Oxford or any other prestigious university you cannot complain considering you did not meet the academic requirements for entry into Oxford. Your sense of entitlement disgusts me.
    My predicted grades were enough to get me into Oxford, it was the knock-back for simply not being from state school that shattered my confidence and lowered my grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinyhoneybee)
    My predicted grades were enough to get me into Oxford, it was the knock-back for simply not being from state school that shattered my confidence and lowered my grades.
    So attending a private school with all the benefits that with it shattered your confidence and caused you to achieve lower grades? Again, your sense of entitlement amazes me, attending a private school sets you up for success much more than state schools, how can not "being from a state school" lower your grades.

ReputationRep:
    You went to private school and only managed ABB? I hope you intend to pay your parents back for all the money they invested in your education only for you to mess it up.

ReputationRep:
    Just getting a 'glowing reference' from your school by no means ensures you a place at Oxford, you must be trolling for I have never read a post as pretentious as this. You also got an ABB, perhaps you just weren't academically good enough for Oxford?

edit: after a reread all i can say is good trolling but a poor attempt at satire

ReputationRep:
    How are some people so obtuse and naive that they can't see that this is a wind-up? It is obvious ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    Or more likely it's a UCL student trolling Kings.
    lol I haven't seen this for a while, but in the old days of TSR there was loads of UCL v KCL stuff, and you would also some UCL or KCL students obsessed with trolling SOAS.

ReputationRep:
    About time Oxbridge were more about talent than which school you went to. Anyway with AAB you clearly weren't for them.

ReputationRep:
    Lmao I came here interested in what evidence suggested thst the government is punishing the middle class, but I found a butthurt Oxford reject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c0fus3d)
    So attending a private school with all the benefits that with it shattered your confidence and caused you to achieve lower grades? Again, your sense of entitlement amazes me, attending a private school sets you up for success much more than state schools, how can not "being from a state school" lower your grades.
    Because top universities will accept you with lower grades if you're from a **** school. In hindsight, I wish I'd have gone to state school and had private tutoring on an evening. At least then I would have more likely been accepted and wouldn't have ended up at my current university, and wouldn't have a shattered confidence.

ReputationRep:
    Cuz dere is lak not enuf opportunities n **** for POC ygm.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, just a sign of you failing education.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.