Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My boyfriend is actually annoying Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    ye you should explain to him he's not meant to talk when you're venting lmao. or find a girlfriend to do it to.
    (Original post by Numan786)
    I think you need the explain to your bf that when you tell him your problems you don't want him to fix them but just to talk to him about them. The same thing happens with me where I'll try to fix the problem but she just wanted to air it.

I don't know if its a guy thing or not but I prefer to fix problems or look for solutions as opposed to just talking bout them. Maybe he's the same.
    (Original post by Sternumator)
    I watched a video of a relationship guru years ago about this kind of thing and the guy said it is very common.

If you tell a man about problem, he is naturally inclined to try to give you a solution because he thinks that is why you are telling him. Then, if you don't listen to him, he gets annoyed because he feels like you are not interested in his advice and rejecting him. He feels 'well if you don't want to listen, why are you even telling me this?'

I can relate to that a lot because I only tell people my problems if I think they can help solve them. I think a lot of men don't understand that women want to talk and just want you to listen and not say anything back.
    Thanks, I feel like this is the case. Thank you guys are awesome!

ReputationRep:
    Lol ur age seems to go in doubles , or my perfect recall is no longer perfect wtf.

Tell so you want him to listen , although i dont really know how venting works , im rarely annoyed to this lvl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR Mustafa)
    Lol ur age seems to go in doubles , or my perfect recall is no longer perfect wtf.

Tell so you want him to listen , although i dont really know how venting works , im rarely annoyed to this lvl
    Yep. I think I was the same age the last time you mentioned my age lol. When I vent I just want the other person to listen to me. I tend to not ask any questions whereas when I'm looking for advice I will.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I don't see what he has done here as a big deal. If you don't want to be with him by all means break up with him, but seems like all he has done is try to be helpful by giving his suggestions and it is you who is getting frustrated. If it is annoying just explain to him you don't want any help or solutions just wanted to moan. I don't know why this is such a bad situation, it seems like such a minor thing. But I am going against everyone here so..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondyx)
    To be honest I don't see what he has done here as a big deal. If you don't want to be with him by all means break up with him, but seems like all he has done is try to be helpful by giving his suggestions and it is you who is getting frustrated. If it is annoying just explain to him you don't want any help or solutions just wanted to moan. I don't know why this is such a bad situation, it seems like such a minor thing. But I am going against everyone here so..
    I didnt say it was a big issue lmao. I was just expressing how annoying I found him yesterday. I can appreciate that he might have been trying to be helpful, but I wasn't seeking his help. I felt like he was taking things far too seriously when I was over it and simply venting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phunky_fresh)
    I didnt say it was a big issue lmao. I was just expressing how annoying I found him yesterday. I can appreciate that he might have been trying to be helpful, but I wasn't seeking his help. I felt like he was taking things far too seriously when I was over it and simply venting.
    Well you are annoyed enough about it to make a thread about how annoying he is.. If you want to make it work with him all you have to do is talk to him about it.
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    (Original post by phunky_fresh)
    So today I mention a couple of incidents that have happened to me. I wasn't looking for sympathy or anything. I was totally over all of it, I just wanted to share snippets of my day.

I tell my boyfriend a story and he's asking 101 questions, all of which did not help me in any way at that point in time. I'm trying to explain that these things happen in life and he's going into details about how I could have prevented it from happening and gives me a breakdown of how I should have gone about things (as if I didn't already know). It wasn't even that deep, no one was hurt, I just dropped and almost lost a valuable item which didn't even get damaged.

I should have been the frustrated one but he seemed to be more annoyed about my clumsiness than I was. I changed the subject and everything, yet he decides to go into one about my journey to work. He was adament I should have chosen an alternative route to work, the first bus I needed was packed and there was no traffic . I told him that I didn't want to go the long way, it wasn't like I was in a rush. He couldn't understand why I decided to wait a bit longer for another bus to come.

Even when I explained that I needed to stop off somewhere, he mentions another branch which would be out of my way. It all worked out in the end and I didn't make a fuss about a thing - my boyfriend on the other hand still continued ....In the end I decided to just be quiet because no matter what I said didn't matter.

Excuse my bad grammar I'm so tired and venting.
    I would finish him, he sounds like an absolute control freak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    The first sentence was pretty much my response, and how I would always respond to her.

If you said the second sentence to her, she would explode and escalate it in to a massive argument.
    sounds like spoiled behaviour tbh but good thing you figured it out and moved on with life XD

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.