Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am extremely skinny and tall and I am not sure what to do. I am 18 years old now...I became skinny before I started to work out. I did not eat as much as I was meant to, I skipped meals and I turned out to be extremely skinny. I am around 55 kg and 5"11. I tried to go gym to improve my body but I haven't seen any massive changes. My friend who was pretty skinny (not as skinny as me when he started), now has a good body and that has caused me to feel extremely stressed. Can you please recommend me what to do? I am planning on buying protein shakes and drinking them as I believe I am not eating enough before/after workouts.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly imo protein shakes are not as necessary as people think. Honestly I use one every like 2 months or so and I've been working out over 2 years.

Anyway, what I'd recommend is to devise a schedule, one of the best and simplest is to workout 3 times a week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. This is a good routine since you're giving your body sufficient rest. In terms of diet, try to eat lots of good proteins and carb heavy foods, chicken sandwiches, pasta, rice etc. Diet is crucial and honestly it's not a bad idea to calorie track as a lot of people may think they eat loads but in reality may be eating under the appropriate, I guess threshold for them to gain mass. In the 'noob gains' days try to eat disgusting amounts of foods, don't worry about getting fat, if you eat proper and healthy meals you will put on good amounts of muscle; any fat you put on can be dealt with later. Finally for working out, don't stress yourself out trying to push huge weights; start low and increase over time, no one will judge and look at you if your lifting low weights, trust me. But to simplify this eat plenty and healthily, proper meals, scrap the junk food and 'empty calorie' foods; workout regularly and you will put on muscle.

I hope I haven't rambled too much and made this too long; hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeeennn)
    I am extremely skinny and tall and I am not sure what to do. I am 18 years old now...I became skinny before I started to work out. I did not eat as much as I was meant to, I skipped meals and I turned out to be extremely skinny. I am around 55 kg and 5"11. I tried to go gym to improve my body but I haven't seen any massive changes. My friend who was pretty skinny (not as skinny as me when he started), now has a good body and that has caused me to feel extremely stressed. Can you please recommend me what to do? I am planning on buying protein shakes and drinking them as I believe I am not eating enough before/after workouts.
    Short answer, eat more food. Read the FAQ it will point you in the right direction.

ReputationRep:
    If you are not gaining weight then you are by definition not eating enough but you need more calories, protein shakes are fairly low calorie so probably not going to make much difference if that's all you do

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you get this app called myfitnesspal which is basically a calorie tracker and tells you how many calories to eat a day for your weight goal, I have been using it for a month now and I have gained a kilo which is amazing for me since I want to reach around 65 kg at 5'6.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.