Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My daughter is going to do History and has an offer to start Autumn 2017.
    I am interested to know what in particular led others to choose this over others.
    The environment/location? Recommendations? Obviously some others are ranked higher but does that matter?
    Any thoughts gratefully received, thanks

ReputationRep:
    The most important thing is that the course is what she wants to study every day for the next 3 years - even if the Uni/city is amazing, if the course does not interest/engage her, she'll have a very long/boring 3 years. 'Ranking' is just marketing nonsense - it doesnt tell you anything useful like 'is the course for me' or 'will I enjoy it', and despite what school-leavers often believe, the vast majority of mainstream employers do not use rankings or even 'which Uni' to sift job applications.

Lots more advice about how to choose a Firm/Insurance here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con...urance-choices

ReputationRep:
    The university has such a modern and recently updated campus that it would be hard to say no to. The facilities with a 24/7 library is amazing and the accommodations proving to be just as great! I too study history at de montfort and I don't regret my decision. Definitely encourage her to join a society, uni wouldn't be the same without being apart of one.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    studentdad

Hi Student dad,

There are many factors which go in to deciding which university to go to, ranking can play a part in the decision but there are many other factors to ensure the university your daughter choose is the best fit for her; for example facilities, teaching quality, living arrangements etc.

In the National Student Survey 2016 our History course was ranked the highest possible rating of 100% satisfaction by our students. It was also ranked the UK's top 10 for teaching quality and student experience in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017. Also, more recently Leicester was voted in the top 5 of most affordable cities for students in the UK.

We hope to see your daughter in September
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentdad)
    My daughter is going to do History and has an offer to start Autumn 2017.
    I am interested to know what in particular led others to choose this over others.
    The environment/location? Recommendations? Obviously some others are ranked higher but does that matter?
    Any thoughts gratefully received, thanks
    Hi studentdad

Just to let you know you have received some responses

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Might you have preferred her to study elsewhere?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.