Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A levels for Medicine: Biology, Chemistry and English Literature/Geography/Maths? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, this is quite a long post (I hope I've posted this in the right place aha I literally have NO IDEA how to use this site)

Next year I'll be starting GCSEs but I'm looking towards medicine as a potential career. (I KNOW it's seriously early aha a lot of people have told me, but just hear me out please :P)
    My school only allows us to take three a levels (with the exception of further maths) and of course, one of my choices must be Chemistry for medicine.
    I'm pretty intent on doing Biology as my second choice, that's already sorted as well.

My only problem is what to do for my third subject...
    I LOVE English Lit, maybe not as much as Biology or Chemistry, but I've always loved reading and Shakespeare and the idea of analysing texts has always appealed to me for some reason...

However, I've been told that Maths is a much better option to take for medicine as it's part of the sciences and it's looked upon favourably by universities? My parents also took it at A level as well so I guess they could help me if I get stuck with work... But I SERIOUSLY DESPISE maths - like no kidding. I have no idea what it is about it but, honestly, I DON'T want to take it. It's just the idea that Maths is more sciencey and therefore more useful for medicine that makes me unsure...

I'm also looking at Geography potentially, quite a lot of people from my school who go on to Medicine take it with Biology and Chemistry... I don't enjoy it half as much as I enjoy English, but it's far better than Maths for me....

And does anyone know the sort of compatibility work-wise of English literature with Biology and Chemistry, there's meant to be a lot of reading with English so I have no idea what to do.

(In terms of unis, I'm not really bothered about Oxbridge and the prestige but I WOULD like, in an ideal world, to go to a London uni like maybe Imperial or UCL?)

So basically, what do you recommend I take? Should I go with what I enjoy, or should I put up with Maths for another two years so as to maximise my chances?
    Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aesthetix)
    Hi, this is quite a long post (I hope I've posted this in the right place aha I literally have NO IDEA how to use this site)

Next year I'll be starting GCSEs but I'm looking towards medicine as a potential career. (I KNOW it's seriously early aha a lot of people have told me, but just hear me out please :P)
    My school only allows us to take three a levels (with the exception of further maths) and of course, one of my choices must be Chemistry for medicine.
    I'm pretty intent on doing Biology as my second choice, that's already sorted as well.

My only problem is what to do for my third subject...
    I LOVE English Lit, maybe not as much as Biology or Chemistry, but I've always loved reading and Shakespeare and the idea of analysing texts has always appealed to me for some reason...

However, I've been told that Maths is a much better option to take for medicine as it's part of the sciences and it's looked upon favourably by universities? My parents also took it at A level as well so I guess they could help me if I get stuck with work... But I SERIOUSLY DESPISE maths - like no kidding. I have no idea what it is about it but, honestly, I DON'T want to take it. It's just the idea that Maths is more sciencey and therefore more useful for medicine that makes me unsure...

I'm also looking at Geography potentially, quite a lot of people from my school who go on to Medicine take it with Biology and Chemistry... I don't enjoy it half as much as I enjoy English, but it's far better than Maths for me....

And does anyone know the sort of compatibility work-wise of English literature with Biology and Chemistry, there's meant to be a lot of reading with English so I have no idea what to do.

(In terms of unis, I'm not really bothered about Oxbridge and the prestige but I WOULD like, in an ideal world, to go to a London uni like maybe Imperial or UCL?)

So basically, what do you recommend I take? Should I go with what I enjoy, or should I put up with Maths for another two years so as to maximise my chances?
    Thanks
    Go with what you enjoy and what you're most likely to get an A in. The thing about universities favouring maths is a myth.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need Maths for anywhere other than Cambridge. For now focus on achieving the highest GCSE grades you possibly can, but when the time comes for you to choose your A Levels go with what you think you can get an A grade in.

I remember being in your position after someone told me that I had to have Maths A Level and it panicked me although my three A Levels were Biology, Chemistry and English Language. I'm currently at medical school now and I'm so glad I did English as my third and not Maths as otherwise I don't think I would have got that third A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emem2011)
    You don't need Maths for anywhere other than Cambridge. For now focus on achieving the highest GCSE grades you possibly can, but when the time comes for you to choose your A Levels go with what you think you can get an A grade in.

I remember being in your position after someone told me that I had to have Maths A Level and it panicked me although my three A Levels were Biology, Chemistry and English Language. I'm currently at medical school now and I'm so glad I did English as my third and not Maths as otherwise I don't think I would have got that third A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much!
    Yeah you're right - think my main focus right now should be my GCSEs so I'll wait until I've done them to REALLY decide!
    Can I ask how the workload was with English language? I know I'm more likely to be going for Literature and the two are quite different, but Language isn't completely out of the question...

ReputationRep:
    I'm exactly the same as you, I am terrible at Physics and Mathematics so I would like to study English Language as the third option to get into Medicine because I enjoy that subject a lot more. I hope this is ok because the majority of people that studied medicine did Physics/Maths and most Universities require this.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akif2001)
    I'm exactly the same as you, I am terrible at Physics and Mathematics so I would like to study English Language as the third option to get into Medicine because I enjoy that subject a lot more. I hope this is ok because the majority of people that studied medicine did Physics/Maths and most Universities require this.
    Only Cambridge requires 3 sciences. No other requires, or even "prefers" you to have maths. Taking chem, bio and english will be absolutely fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emem2011)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    did you do a fourth subject along with bio,chem and lang during year 12, as in
    during "AS year" ??

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.