Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does teamwork/leadership experience have to be obtained while doing a team sport? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As the title says, the only experience that I'm worried about is teamwork experience. I have done a couple of team-based activites in my life, however none of them have been sports (as I enjoy doing solo sports such as swimming/running/table tennis instead.) My question is, if I get asked about leadership experience, can I talk about how I was a leader during my medical work experience? Because I lead a group young kids regularly as part of my experience. However, I'm not sure this is enough.

ReputationRep:
    Leading in the sense you're describing I feel they are looking for would be the ability to lead a team of individuals the same age and ability as yourself, and although leading a group of kids as part of your work experience is impressive! I don't feel you'd be answering the question to it's full capacity. Have you ever done any group work at school? Any DofE? Are you a prefect, head boy? Relays?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattJacks)
    Leading in the sense you're describing I feel they are looking for would be the ability to lead a team of individuals the same age and ability as yourself, and although leading a group of kids as part of your work experience is impressive! I don't feel you'd be answering the question to it's full capacity. Have you ever done any group work at school? Any DofE? Are you a prefect, head boy? Relays?
    I haven't done DofE as the expedition clashed with my visiting my family abroad. I have done group work at school, but not for extended periods, but I can talk about that. In my school, getting head prefect/boy is extremely hard because everyone wants to become a prefect, but I will have to try.

ReputationRep:
    Ah so you're in year 12? Even working in the prefect team is hugely beneficial and good experience of working in a team. I would also recommend trying a residential, you can get them subsidised by the rotary club, that's a great experience of working in a team with people you don't really know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattJacks)
    Ah so you're in year 12? Even working in the prefect team is hugely beneficial and good experience of working in a team. I would also recommend trying a residential, you can get them subsidised by the rotary club, that's a great experience of working in a team with people you don't really know
    Thanks for your replies so far, as they have been quite helpful. What do you mean by residential though?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bloxman28)
    As the title says, the only experience that I'm worried about is teamwork experience. I have done a couple of team-based activites in my life, however none of them have been sports (as I enjoy doing solo sports such as swimming/running/table tennis instead.) My question is, if I get asked about leadership experience, can I talk about how I was a leader during my medical work experience? Because I lead a group young kids regularly as part of my experience. However, I'm not sure this is enough.
    Absolutely not, there are loads of other ways you can demonstrate teamwork skills, e.g.:
    - Taking part in group projects (e.g. at science club or something)
    - Through a part-time job
    - Any kind of volunteering that has required you to work with other people
    - Attending any kind of school club that requires working with other people, e.g. orchestra etc. (doesn't have to be sports)

Ideally it's good to try and think of teamwork experience you have had outside of class, since just doing group projects in school doesn't make you stand out from everyone else and looks like you don't seek out team building opportunities, just doing the compulsory ones you are required to do by your school.

And in terms of leadership:
    - Being a prefect (even if not head prefect, it shows the school thinks you are responsible etc.)
    - Being on the student council
    - Being class rep/ class president/ the guy who represents your class in school meetings about stuff
    - Organising a fundraising event
    - Tutoring/ volunteering as a class assistant
    - Running an after school homework/ subject extension club (or any kind of society, it could even be a film club - but ideally something more relevant to medicine)

I'd guess you weren't being a leader during your medical work experience since you would have been shadowing a doctor or at least following their instructions? Being a leader is about taking responsibility, delegating work amongst a group of people, listening to everyone in your team and making firm final decisions, representing the opinions of your team, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies so far, as they have been quite helpful. What do you mean by residential though?
    They're commonly used for Gold DofE but if you google residential trip they're offered and run by charities and groups

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    Absolutely not, there are loads of other ways you can demonstrate teamwork skills, e.g.:
    - Taking part in group projects (e.g. at science club or something)
    - Through a part-time job
    - Any kind of volunteering that has required you to work with other people
    - Attending any kind of school club that requires working with other people, e.g. orchestra etc. (doesn't have to be sports)

Ideally it's good to try and think of teamwork experience you have had outside of class, since just doing group projects in school doesn't make you stand out from everyone else and looks like you don't seek out team building opportunities, just doing the compulsory ones you are required to do by your school.

- Being a prefect (even if not head prefect, it shows the school thinks you are responsible etc.)
    - Being on the student council
    - Being class rep/ class president/ the guy who represents your class in school meetings about stuff
    - Organising a fundraising event
    - Running an after school homework/ subject extension club (or any kind of society, it could even be a film club - but ideally something more relevant to medicine)

I'd guess you weren't being a leader during your medical work experience since you would have been shadowing a doctor or at least following their instructions? Being a leader is about taking responsibility, delegating work amongst a group of people, listening to everyone in your team and making firm final decisions, representing the opinions of your team, etc.
    Thanks for your reply. Looking at what you've suggested, I think I've mostly got teamwork covered. However leadership is the issue here. I will try and apply to be a tutor once I'm in year 13 to help year 12 students with Maths/Science etc. I will also look into fundraising, although it may take a bit of time management to get organised.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply. Looking at what you've suggested, I think I've mostly got teamwork covered. However leadership is the issue here. I will try and apply to be a tutor once I'm in year 13 to help year 12 students with Maths/Science etc. I will also look into fundraising, although it may take a bit of time management to get organised.
    You're welcome

Being a tutor for year 12 students sounds like a great option - I did this back at sixth form and it was really good fun as well as helping me revise AS Chemistry Shows good leadership skills too since you have to be responsible, answer students questions, sometimes temporarily take control of the class if the teacher is busy helping another student, etc.

Fundraising events can be quite complex to organise - but even something as simple as getting a group of friends together and organising bake sales in aid of a charity counts! You could set up a school club specifically for supporting a particular cause, promoting their messages, organising small fundraising events etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)

I know I'm not OP, but can you really talk about this one? I don't see how you can delegate roles like you can in a group task.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherub012)
    I know I'm not OP, but can you really talk about this one? I don't see how you can delegate roles like you can in a group task.
    Depends how much responsibility you are given - if you end up teaching a group of students independently (e.g. I used to run lunchtime workshops too, just myself) then acting as a teacher is also a leadership role. My school also encouraged us when volunteering in a class to help with the actual teaching side too - e.g. giving a small presentation to the students about a topic/ revision tips etc. and even when just helping out in class we were expected to act just like a "real" assistant teacher would. However, I guess if in your particular school classroom assistants just stand around and hand out worksheets then perhaps not.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.