Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm an international student (born 1998) currently studying in year 13 at a boarding school in Wales, and my visa for my studies will end around August this year. I have been rejected from Trinity College, Cambridge for medicine. They gave me an interview but I was not pooled. I am thinking about reapplying for the same course to the same college in the upcoming application round. What are some of the things that I should be aware of? Is it a good idea to do so? Should it be a different college this time? What's the best preparation if I were to make this decision?

These are my examination results so far:
    BMAT: 5.6, 7.5, 3.5A

AS:
    Biology (200/200 ums), Chemistry (200/200 ums), Mathematics (300/300 ums) - WJEC modular
    Physics - OCR linear, grade A (123/140 raw mark) Currently taking same A2 subjects (all 4 subjects)

Other achievements:
    Bronze British Biology Olympiad
    Gold Cambridge Chemistry Challenge
    Silver British Physics Olympiad (AS Challenge)
    Gold UKMT senior

I have no GCSE/IGCSEs, only a transcript from my previous school.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PCBMM)
    I'm an international student (born 1998) currently studying in year 13 at a boarding school in Wales, and my visa for my studies will end around August this year. I have been rejected from Trinity College, Cambridge for medicine. They gave me an interview but I was not pooled. I am thinking about reapplying for the same course to the same college the upcoming application round. What are some of the things that I should be aware of? Is it a good idea to do so? Should it be a different college this time? What's the best preparation if I were to make this decision?

AS:
    Biology (200/200 ums), Chemistry (200/200 ums), Mathematics (300/300 ums) - WJEC modular
    Physics - OCR linear, grade A (123/140 raw mark) Currently taking same A2 subjects (all 4 subjects)

Other achievements:
    Gold UKMT senior

Do you have or are you waiting for Medicine offers from any other university? If so, accept one of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Do you have or are you waiting for Medicine offers from any other university? If so, accept one of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not holding any offer right now, but I have been invited to an interview at a different university. If I remember correctly, by accepting one of the other university's offer and starting to enter year one of that university, you're no longer eligible to reapplying to Cambridge that year. You seem to be suggesting against reapplying, can you explain why?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PCBMM)
    I'm not holding any offer right now, but I have been invited to an interview at a different university. If I remember correctly, by accepting one of the other university's offer and starting to enter year one of that university, you're no longer eligible to reapplying to Cambridge that year. You seem to be suggesting against reapplying, can you explain why?
    Correct.

And because getting a Medicine offer needs to be your primary goal, not holding out purely for a Cambridge place. Many aspiring medics get no offers at all, and there's no guarantee you will be more successful next year.

If you receive an offer elsewhere take it.

If you don't, and you exceed Cambridge's typical requirements, then consider re-applying. But the advice is to choose a different college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just accept what ever you get, it's hard enough to get in already

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PCBMM)
    I'm an international student (born 1998) currently studying in year 13 at a boarding school in Wales, and my visa for my studies will end around August this year. I have been rejected from Trinity College, Cambridge for medicine. They gave me an interview but I was not pooled. I am thinking about reapplying for the same course to the same college in the upcoming application round. What are some of the things that I should be aware of? Is it a good idea to do so? Should it be a different college this time? What's the best preparation if I were to make this decision?

AS:

Other achievements:
    Gold UKMT senior

I tend to agree with what a previous poster said.
    All uk universities have a strict quota set by the government for how many international students they can accept fir their medical course (only for Medicine). So it makes already competitive medicine course at any uni even more competitive for international applicants.
    If you're thinking of becoming a practicing medical doctor in uk, which medical school you went to does not really affect your future job prospect. And there're many other good universities/medical schools and, tbh, teaching of some of them are actually better in/more geared towards training a future practicing medical doctors.
    If the only reason for trying another year is to try to get in Cambridge, I think you're playing a rather dangerous game.
    Not even sure if you can extend your visa if you're graduating from the current school. It'll be extremely difficult to get another student visa if you're not enrolled to a proper school. Are you thinking of going back to your country and re-apply from there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    I tend to agree with what a previous poster said.
    All uk universities have a strict quota set by the government for how many international students they can accept fir their medical course (only for Medicine). So it makes already competitive medicine course at any uni even more competitive for international applicants.
    If you're thinking of becoming a practicing medical doctor in uk, which medical school you went to does not really affect your future job prospect. And there're many other good universities/medical schools and, tbh, teaching of some of them are actually better in/more geared towards training a future practicing medical doctors.
    If the only reason for trying another year is to try to get in Cambridge, I think you're playing a rather dangerous game.
    Not even sure if you can extend your visa if you're graduating from the current school. It'll be extremely difficult to get another student visa if you're not enrolled to a proper school. Are you thinking of going back to your country and re-apply from there?
    Thank you very much for your reply. If I am going to reapply, I will have to do it back in my country. I understand that the application process and requirements will be different. The reason why I am considering this decision is because I feel that Cambridge would be able to offer me a combination of things that other universities won't within their courses. These include being within a highly academic environment, learning through their traditional teaching style (including the tutorial system), meeting many people with extreme interests in their fields, the MB/PhD programme, and also a little bit to do with the living conditions. Of course, I could be wrong, and Cambridge could be the worst decision in my life, but eventually everyone is facing risks when they make their university decisions, and this is one of those risks that I may be willing to take. The competition is fierce every year, and I understand that many candidates like myself may never be worth a place in Cambridge at all. Right now, I just need as much information as I can gather, then I could make an informed decision about my future.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.