Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Choosing an A-Level you haven't done as a GCSE. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm finding it quite difficult to choose my a-level options and right now I am contemplating on choosing business studies. I feel as if it is very useful for in the future, however I'm not sure if it's a subject worth choosing if I haven't done it already as a GCSE subject. I know that this may be the case for a lot of people, but what do you guys think?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColourfulPens)
    I'm finding it quite difficult to choose my a-level options and right now I am contemplating on choosing business studies. I feel as if it is very useful for in the future, however I'm not sure if it's a subject worth choosing if I haven't done it already as a GCSE subject. I know that this may be the case for a lot of people, but what do you guys think?
    Business studies is one of those that you can study at A-level without doing the GCSE, I believe (along with things like Economics, Psychology etc).

You should be fine, as long as you are studying it for the right reasons and think you will do well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Business studies is one of those that you can study at A-level without doing the GCSE, I believe (along with things like Economics, Psychology etc).

You should be fine, as long as you are studying it for the right reasons and think you will do well.
    This. Not many people in your Alevel class would have studied it at school,

The core subjects like Maths would require it at gcse. But Business you can study without GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Business studies is mostly common sense. The only tough bit for my course was using sources and talking about them (similar to geography).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James385)
    Business studies is mostly common sense. The only tough bit for my course was using sources and talking about them (similar to geography).
    Thanks. By sources, do you mean that I will have to remember specific case studies for the business exams? Because I (think) know that geography requires quite a lot of studies but I've never studied a subject that needs you to remember any case studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)

At my school, business studies was a GCSE option although I didn't choose it. But in hindsight, I think I should have picked it. Thanks anyway.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people choose things that they haven't studied at GCSE. Not all high schools offer courses such as Business Studies, Economics, Psychology, Sociology, Law etc. I know I certainly wasn't, the only subjects I had to choose from were languages, facilitating humanities and the arts. It can be beneficial to take subjects you have never studied before, especially if you're considering doing them at University or they link to the job you want to do. I had never done Politics before, I do it now as an AS student and now I want a degree in it. It may seem like you're going in blind, but the reality is that because of the increase in difficulty from GCSE to A level, the chances of the spec/exam being similar is slim and if it is, you won't be at a disadvantage for not studying it as like I said, the difficulty can often mean that everyone is in the same boat. For example, taking GCSE history doesn't really prepare you for a level history as you basically get untaught everything that you have been trained to do for the GCSE exam. So, you should be fine!

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine did not study GCSE Geography. She then did A Level Geography and studies it at University now - definitely possible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie.mn)
    A lot of people choose things that they haven't studied at GCSE. Not all high schools offer courses such as Business Studies, Economics, Psychology, Sociology, Law etc. I know I certainly wasn't, the only subjects I had to choose from were languages, facilitating humanities and the arts. It can be beneficial to take subjects you have never studied before, especially if you're considering doing them at University or they link to the job you want to do. I had never done Politics before, I do it now as an AS student and now I want a degree in it. It may seem like you're going in blind, but the reality is that because of the increase in difficulty from GCSE to A level, the chances of the spec/exam being similar is slim and if it is, you won't be at a disadvantage for not studying it as like I said, the difficulty can often mean that everyone is in the same boat. For example, taking GCSE history doesn't really prepare you for a level history as you basically get untaught everything that you have been trained to do for the GCSE exam. So, you should be fine!
    Thanks so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legoody)
    A friend of mine did not study GCSE Geography. She then did A Level Geography and studies it at University now - definitely possible!
    Good for your friend! Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I chose psychology a-level and had never done it before and now I am going to do it at uni so it's definitely worth doing it if you're interested in the subject!

ReputationRep:
    There are a few people in our class who haven't done business and they're still finding it okay - so I would say go for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.