Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hdheimdnbf)
    I’m applying to HYMS, Liverpool, St George’s and Newcastle partners I’m not risking it with Manchester lol
    Nice... yh I understand, you might as well apply to places where you have a greater chance of getting an interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Sikh Surgeon)
    Nice... yh I understand, you might as well apply to places where you have a greater chance of getting an interview
    If I get an offer from Newcastle ABB I have to firm it so then any other offers are worthless 😭😭
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomSmith12345)
    All good choices, what does the partners scheme actually do? And I’ve applied to Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield and Newcastle 🙂 good luck in your application!
    We're applying to nearly the same universities! But I'm applying to Edinburgh instead of Liverpool :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khookie)
    We're applying to nearly the same universities! But I'm applying to Edinburgh instead of Liverpool :P
    Do you mind if I ask your stats? Trying to figure out the kind of stats universities expect Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Do you mind if I ask your stats? Trying to figure out the kind of stats universities expect Thank you
    GCSEs: 10 A*, UKCAT 758 band 1, AS: AAAA, predictions: A*A*A*A*

Newcastle, Sheffield and Manchester are all based on UKCAT so I don't think other stats matter too much. Edinburgh's the only one which takes into account everything, but you're not applying there so it's fine :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khookie)
    GCSEs: 10 A*, UKCAT 758 band 1, AS: AAAA, predictions: A*A*A*A*

Newcastle, Sheffield and Manchester are all based on UKCAT so I don't think other stats matter too much. Edinburgh's the only one which takes into account everything, but you're not applying there so it's fine :P
    Blimey! You’re going to walk into an offer, I’ve never seen such strong stats! I feel like congratulating you already... how much work experience have you done (shaping up to be the perfect candidate)

ReputationRep:
    Do you think I could apply here as my ukcat is literally on the 7th decile - 667.5. I also have 8A*, 2As and a B at gcse and am predicted A*AA.

ReputationRep:
    No sorry, the UKCAT cut off will be the same for those with achieved and predicted A levels

Last year the cut off was 653 and your score is well above that so applying to Manchester was a good choice You just have to hope for an interview
    Hey thanks for the help, just saw the final deciles and looks like I'm on the same boat as you were last year lol bang on the 7th decile hopefully it all works out aaaahhhhh and so the dreadful wait begins!

ReputationRep:
    Blimey! You’re going to walk into an offer, I’ve never seen such strong stats! I feel like congratulating you already... how much work experience have you done (shaping up to be the perfect candidate)
    Haha, I can quote plenty that are better I assure you But in all seriousness, it's not all about the stats, it's who you are as a person! I know someone who had better stats than me and had 4 rejections... tbf she did apply to all the top (Oxford, Imperial etc) but that kinda freaked me a bit. I guess it's all about how you come across at interview!

On my personal statement, these are the things I talked about: I did a week hospital and a week GP, been volunteering with St John Ambulance for 4 years, volunteering weekly at a dementia day care centre. For extracurriculars, I attended lectures, won an essay competition on mental illness, read medical literature, medical society, grade 8 piano and working towards diploma, violin in local orchestra, gold dofe. Tbh I'm not really happy with my personal statement because it's a bit too structured and my opening and conclusion are ****. I'm just glad I'm not applying to any personal statement heavy unis lol

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm thinking about applying with
    1A* 9A 1B (English lit)
    Predicted A*AA
    UKCAT 687.5 SJT Band 1
    Do you reckon I have a good chance of interview or would it be a wasted application?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Kermit)
    Hey thanks for the help, just saw the final deciles and looks like I'm on the same boat as you were last year lol bang on the 7th decile hopefully it all works out aaaahhhhh and so the dreadful wait begins!
    That sounds great! You should get an interview

Yh i remember from last year the waiting was so painful... but it was worth it in the end

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm wanting to apply to Manchester this year but I'm a bit worried about my UKCAT score

I got 2602 with SJT band 2

I've got good GCSE grades - 9A*'s 1A 1B Distinction in Add. Maths - predicted A*AAA and good work experience etc

Wanting to apply to Sheffield, Manchester, Nottingham and Cardiff (in order of preference) - worried my UKCAT isn't good enough for Sheffield or Manchester

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I know it's super duper early but i thought i'd set this up so that anyone who is hoping to apply for medicine at manchester this year can discuss any issues or get advice from fellow TSRians!

Now remember Manchester is PBL and supports your learning through lectures, early clinical placements, simulation sessions, anatomy dissection etc...

Also Manchester is a UKCAT heavy university. They have a UKCAT cut off for interview usually around the 60th - 70th percentile so you need to do well in your UKCAT!

So we can start by posting some stats...
    Gcse: 7A* 2A 1B 1C

If anyone has any questions about manchester please post them... i might be able to answer some as i have already done some research into this university
    Hi, I’m applying for dentistry and I want to know if you know how Manchester select applicants for interview for dentistry? Are they ukcat heavy like medicine ?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiger_manpower)
    Hi, I’m applying for dentistry and I want to know if you know how Manchester select applicants for interview for dentistry? Are they ukcat heavy like medicine ?

Thank you
    Hey

Sorry, I know nothing about dentistry... it's probably best to look at the Manchester website and see what you find there

https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/den...raduate/apply/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sianhafbaldry)
    Hi! I'm wanting to apply to Manchester this year but I'm a bit worried about my UKCAT score

I got 2602 with SJT band 2

I've got good GCSE grades - 9A*'s 1A 1B Distinction in Add. Maths - predicted A*AAA and good work experience etc

Wanting to apply to Sheffield, Manchester, Nottingham and Cardiff (in order of preference) - worried my UKCAT isn't good enough for Sheffield or Manchester
    Hey

If I was in your position I probably wouldn't apply to Sheffield as their cut off last year was 670 (I think). I also wanted to apply to Sheffield last year... had a score of 663 so I'm glad I didn't

It does seem quite risky applying to Manchester as the cut off last year was 653. The UKCAT scores have also increased this year which makes it more likely for the cut off to be higher.

If you have WP flags then applying to Manchester will be fine. If you don't then you can still give Manchester a shot as a risky choice and hope that the cut off decreases.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esizzle)
    Hi, I'm thinking about applying with
    1A* 9A 1B (English lit)
    Predicted A*AA
    UKCAT 687.5 SJT Band 1
    Do you reckon I have a good chance of interview or would it be a wasted application?!?!
    Hey

You have a very good chance... as long as you make sure your NAI form is written well you WILL get an interview!

ReputationRep:
    Hey

You have a very good chance... as long as you make sure your NAI form is written well you WILL get an interview!
    UKCAT:670 (2680 total - 7th decile) SJT band 2
    GCSEs: 4A*s, 4As and 2Bs (eng lang and rs)
    Predicted: AAA

Is Manchester a good option?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

QUOTE=The Sikh Surgeon;74052326]Hey

If I was in your position I probably wouldn't apply to Sheffield as their cut off last year was 670 (I think). I also wanted to apply to Sheffield last year... had a score of 663 so I'm glad I didn't

It does seem quite risky applying to Manchester as the cut off last year was 653. The UKCAT scores have also increased this year which makes it more likely for the cut off to be higher.

If you have WP flags then applying to Manchester will be fine. If you don't then you can still give Manchester a shot as a risky choice and hope that the cut off decreases.

Hope this helps [/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Does Manchester use the SJT in their shortlisting process? I have a band 3 and need this to be a semi-safe option as I already have 2 aspirational unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahad27)
    Hi,
    Does Manchester uses the SJT in their shortlisting process? I have a band 3 and need this to be a semi-safe option as I already have 2 aspirational unis.
    When I went to the open day, they told me that they are not using SJT this year as they're still 'experimenting with it'. They said they only use it in extreme circumstances such as borderline cases.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.