The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by t10r
UKCAT:670 (2680 total - 7th decile) SJT band 2
GCSEs: 4A*s, 4As and 2Bs (eng lang and rs)
Predicted: AAA

Is Manchester a good option?

Yes definitely! You should get an interview :smile:
Original post by The Sikh Surgeon
Yes definitely! You should get an interview :smile:

Hey man, do you happen to know if the ukcat cutoffs for graduates and school leavers are the same?
Original post by singhaman
Hey man, do you happen to know if the ukcat cutoffs for graduates and school leavers are the same?

Hey! From what I know I'm pretty sure there's only two cut offs... one for those with WP flags and one for everyone else
Original post by singhaman

I asked the Admissions Office that question and they said that the same cut off applies to everyone, unless you have a WP flag. So yes, grads and non-grads who do not have a WP flag have the same cut off.
Hey! From what I know I'm pretty sure there's only two cut offs... one for those with WP flags and one for everyone else

Hi Sikh Surgeon, so basically I'm confused between applying to Cardiff and Manchester. Though Manchester was my preferred choice at first, after reading the 'not-so-appealing' reviews of the PBL structure, I went into doubt.
Many students say that PBL is too student-centred and there is a gap in knowledge and lack of adequate expert guidance. It also requires too much of self motivation. I've also read most students not satisfied with PBL and liking integrated course more.

Can you please please elaborate on your experiences with PBL and is it really better than integrated learning? Please be honest and unbiased with your experiences and views because it's a crucial decision for me! Thanks a ton mate!
Original post by Jasir Alam
Hi Sikh Surgeon, so basically I'm confused between applying to Cardiff and Manchester. Though Manchester was my preferred choice at first, after reading the 'not-so-appealing' reviews of the PBL structure, I went into doubt.
Many students say that PBL is too student-centred and there is a gap in knowledge and lack of adequate expert guidance. It also requires too much of self motivation. I've also read most students not satisfied with PBL and liking integrated course more.

Can you please please elaborate on your experiences with PBL and is it really better than integrated learning? Please be honest and unbiased with your experiences and views because it's a crucial decision for me! Thanks a ton mate!

Hey!

Basically the way I see it is... it would be mega hard to learn all the stuff we have to learn if it was just lectures. With PBL we get a case every week and everything we learn relates to the case meaning everything is in context... this makes revision easier as well

Also I was speaking to a FY2 who went to Liverpool and he said PBL is a much better method to learn medicine because it involves researching things for yourself and thats what ya gunna have to do as a doctor when you're trying to keep up with the latest research. It's good to start learning how to do it early on!

If you don't have self-motivation I guess medicine will be extremely hard cuz ya gunna need it to learn all the content no matter which university you go

It's impossible to have gaps in your knowledge... at Manchester we get set ILOs (intended learning outcomes) for each week and if you cover them all then you should be good. Also if in the PBL session we miss some of the key concepts when writing up our learning agenda the tutor hints to us other things we could research into

Now I can't really say whats best, PBL or integrated, because everyone learns in different ways but honestly man forget Cardiff, come to Manchester It's bare fun :biggrin: (I'm jk.. its your choice :wink:)
Hey!

Basically the way I see it is... it would be mega hard to learn all the stuff we have to learn if it was just lectures. With PBL we get a case every week and everything we learn relates to the case meaning everything is in context... this makes revision easier as well

Also I was speaking to a FY2 who went to Liverpool and he said PBL is a much better method to learn medicine because it involves researching things for yourself and thats what ya gunna have to do as a doctor when you're trying to keep up with the latest research. It's good to start learning how to do it early on!

If you don't have self-motivation I guess medicine will be extremely hard cuz ya gunna need it to learn all the content no matter which university you go

It's impossible to have gaps in your knowledge... at Manchester we get set ILOs (intended learning outcomes) for each week and if you cover them all then you should be good. Also if in the PBL session we miss some of the key concepts when writing up our learning agenda the tutor hints to us other things we could research into

Now I can't really say whats best, PBL or integrated, because everyone learns in different ways but honestly man forget Cardiff, come to Manchester It's bare fun :biggrin: (I'm jk.. its your choice :wink:)

Hehe, well that was a very convincing reply. Based on your reply, I am confirming Manchester as one of my choices! Hoping to get an interview offer, only worry for me is my UKCAT was 663. Let's hope I pass the cut-off. Thanks mate! By the way, mind elaborating more on your personal PBL experience?
Hi, i'm considering applying to manchester but can't choose between manchester and plymouth :s-smilie: , i think i am quite likely to get into either due to a decent ukcat score just wondering if you guys had any opinions on it, i'm guessing perspective might be a bit skewed because of the thread its in, but any suggestions would be great!
Original post by bhjt777888
Hi, i'm considering applying to manchester but can't choose between manchester and plymouth :s-smilie: , i think i am quite likely to get into either due to a decent ukcat score just wondering if you guys had any opinions on it, i'm guessing perspective might be a bit skewed because of the thread its in, but any suggestions would be great!

What's your UKCAT Score?
Original post by 12345John12345
What's your UKCAT Score?

um i got 725 average, when i spoke to the guys at manchester they said top third ukcat get and interview
Ukcat average was 652.5 band 3 and my gcse grades were 5A*, 6A and 2B, My AS levels were AAABB can i apply
Hey!

And also, when are the cut-offs released? Is my UKCAT score of 663 likely to pass the cut-off or should I not take a risk and apply to Cardiff rather?
Original post by bhjt777888
um i got 725 average, when i spoke to the guys at manchester they said top third ukcat get and interview

Congrats! And I guess apply to whichever one you'd prefer, as you'd defo get into Manchester - providing your NAI is decent :smile:
Reply 253

Just submitted my UCAS application. For Manchester, do they contact you with the NAI form and tell you when to submit it etc. or do you have to fill it yourself and submit it? If it's the latter, where do you submit it?

I wanted to ask you as you have been through the Manchester application process before.
My GCSE’s will let me down as I probably don’t have the requirements. They were 2As 4Bs 1 C and 2DsA level results: A* A*A in biology chemistry and psychology.Ukcat score avg 820 with a band 1 in SJT.May aswell apply for Newcastle.
Original post by t10r
Just submitted my UCAS application. For Manchester, do they contact you with the NAI form and tell you when to submit it etc. or do you have to fill it yourself and submit it? If it's the latter, where do you submit it?

I wanted to ask you as you have been through the Manchester application process before.

It's submitted online and the link is on their website. I've also posted it below:
https://eforms.mhs.man.ac.uk/s/f/GOKxvgQ0rAC3zZk75GvyHxVrLOk
Good luck everyone, called Manchester today to see if my highschool grades would affect me. Even with a 2.1 in Genetics from Glasgow and a ukcat just outside the 8th decile, I can't get away from my highschool mistakes. Absolutely gutted, Manchester was going to be my strongest application, all I had to do was meet the minimum grade requirements. I needed another A instead of a B
I'm thinking of applying to Manchester Medical School. I have a 2:1 in Biomedical Sciences from SGUL with a UKCAT score of 710. My A-Levels are A*AB and GCSE grades are 6A* 3A and 1B.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Jasir Alam
Hehe, well that was a very convincing reply. Based on your reply, I am confirming Manchester as one of my choices! Hoping to get an interview offer, only worry for me is my UKCAT was 663. Let's hope I pass the cut-off. Thanks mate! By the way, mind elaborating more on your personal PBL experience?

Nice!

There's nothing more to elaborate really... you just get a case on Monday and then research the things that need to be learnt and then meet back up on a Friday to discuss what you've learnt

You won't know the cut off until the end of the application process. I think you can risk Manchester but if your other choices are also risky then don't risk it. What someone told me was apply to 2 places you like (these can be risky) and 2 places where you are sure to get an interview/offer
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by t10r

Hey!

Manchester will send you an email on 15 October which will have a link to the NAI form. You can also fill it in and submit it now, here's the link to the NAI form...

https://eforms.mhs.man.ac.uk/s/f/GOKxvgQ0rAC3zZk75GvyHxVrLOk

Latest

Trending

Trending