Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by totodile)
    Thank you for your help! And oh gosh thats embarrassing, someone who started working there with me told me it was primary care and I just believed it oops Also, with the putting end date as a date in the future, would that be applicable to volunteering as well since I plan to carry that on through the year?
    Np

Yes definitely!

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,
    For the NAI form the motivation for medicine bit, do we have to mention work experience/shadowing, or can it be anything that's given you motivation for medicine? Bit confused as to what to put! Also do you have to mention anything is partiular about studying in Manchester and the particular course itself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PropaneHorcrux)
    Hey everyone,
    For the NAI form the motivation for medicine bit, do we have to mention work experience/shadowing, or can it be anything that's given you motivation for medicine? Bit confused as to what to put! Also do you have to mention anything is partiular about studying in Manchester and the particular course itself?
    You don't have to mention your work experience, but if it has helped shape your decision to study medicine then it may be worth including.

The NAI form asks 'Please tell us why, in particular, you want to come and study medicine at the University of Manchester'. I would therefore suggest that it would be worth mentioning why you would like to study medicine at Manchester and what has drawn you to their course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PropaneHorcrux)
    Hey everyone,
    For the first half, I talked about my initial motivation for medicine and mentioned a bit about work experience (not really anything detailed). For the second half I talked about why I wanted to study in Manchester, mainly what I liked about the course and why.

ReputationRep:
    For hobbies and interests, is it okay to mention things that I have previously done? (Played ice hockey for 5 years and recently gave up)

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I hope you are all having a good day.

For the NAI form, if my volunteering placement is on-going, what do I do for the "date to:" part of the form?
    Sorry if this has been answered previously answered.
    Thank You

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khookie)
    For the first half, I talked about my initial motivation for medicine and mentioned a bit about work experience (not really anything detailed). For the second half I talked about why I wanted to study in Manchester, mainly what I liked about the course and why.
    Where in the actual question does it ask about why Manchester specifically? It says how has your experience informed your choice of medicine. Has this changed? I would have thought the former was an interview question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MezmorisedPotato)
    Hello everyone, I hope you are all having a good day.

For the NAI form, if my volunteering placement is on-going, what do I do for the "date to:" part of the form?
    Sorry if this has been answered previously answered.
    Thank You
    Next year if it is ongoing? No joke. I think in general you need to say you are still doing something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobbyfloater)
    Next year if it is ongoing? No joke. I think in general you need to say you are still doing something.
    Ah I see, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Where in the actual question does it ask about why Manchester specifically? It says how has your experience informed your choice of medicine. Has this changed? I would have thought the former was an interview question.
    OK I see it now. All the stuff on their web including the dummy form does not ask why you want to study at Manchester, but the online form does. Those are two completely different questions. Gosh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RMARL)
    I called them up today and it seems that I just need to get in to the top 3 deciles so lets pray for a low average (though so far everyone is doing so well ).

If anyone is interested, the lady I spoke to told me that they consider everyone who is in the top 3 deciles for an interview providing that they meet all other academic requirements. They then look at the 300-500 people with the highest ukcats below the 7th decile (depending on how many are above) and consider other factors to decide whether to interview you- hence their cut off is below the 7th decile. Also, top 3 deciles doesn't guarantee an interview but below this doesn't mean you won't be considered for an interview!

extra/super curricular I have are:
    work experience at GP- 2 weeks
    shadowing at hospital - 3 days
    volunteering once a week at a primary school (2 months and continuing)
    I work and have done for about 2 years so I'll use this for the 'team work' section
    I've also attended a masterclass at Cambridge and a week summer school at Oxford.
    read a few books too
    I hope this is all okay, just really hoping that my ukcat is in that 7th decile...

Thank you for replying!
    Hi I emailed them and they said that they take into your whole application hollistically -as in you dont have to have the top 300 - 500 ukcat score under the 7th declile...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by want2bstudent99)
    Hi I emailed them and they said that they take into your whole application hollistically -as in you dont have to have the top 300 - 500 ukcat score under the 7th declile...
    Can you attach this email please, I've been trying to chase up Manchester but they don't respond to me !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khookie)
    Hi,
    Do you think it would be ok to keep most of the answer about why medicine and a couple of lines about why the course at Manchester. Ive got way too much to put down for the 1st part D:
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    OK I see it now. All the stuff on their web including the dummy form does not ask why you want to study at Manchester, but the online form does. Those are two completely different questions. Gosh.
    Exactly! Thats why i'm worried about proportion because they seem to put less stress on the Manchester part overall(?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shahi12)
    Hi,
    Do you think it would be ok to keep most of the answer about why medicine and a couple of lines about why the course at Manchester. Ive got way too much to put down for the 1st part D:
    Thank you!
    Hello, in mine I barely talked about motivation for medicine as a whole. Although the section is titled 'Motivation for Medicine', the details of what they are looking for focuses directly on why Manchester specifically. The way I see it is they will find out our motivation for medicine from the interview and at the moment they want us to research the course as a whole and make sure we are aware of what Manchester offers. But that is of course just what I put. I hope this helps. I would copy in a post from earlier in this thread but I don't know how. The creator of this thread basically said a similar thing to what I have just said (i.e focus on why Manchester)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackbrown3098)
    Hello, in mine I barely talked about motivation for medicine as a whole. Although the section is titled 'Motivation for Medicine', the details of what they are looking for focuses directly on why Manchester specifically. The way I see it is they will find out our motivation for medicine from the interview and at the moment they want us to research the course as a whole and make sure we are aware of what Manchester offers. But that is of course just what I put. I hope this helps. I would copy in a post from earlier in this thread but I don't know how. The creator of this thread basically said a similar thing to what I have just said (i.e focus on why Manchester)
    Thank you, this really helped

ReputationRep:
    For the Motivation for Medicine section, I emailed the admissions team to find out what they were looking for. I was told that it is completely up to you how you interpret this section. You can talk about both why medicine at Manchester and your motivation as a whole

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shahi12)
    Hi,
    Thank you!
    What the person in the post above said is useful! As long as you cover both points and give honest and relevant reasons that you could talk about at the interview, you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, 1st year medic at Manchester. PM me if you want me to send my NAI form to you

ReputationRep:
    Defo interested in studying medicine at Manchester but I wanna know if it’ll be worth the move from Wales.
    I attained 1 A* 5 As 3 Bs and 3Cs and a btec qualification in music.
    However I’m not doing Chemistry as an A level so I know that automatically strips me away from the vast majority of med schools, but I realise that there are foundation courses available for ppl with wrong subject combinations. I’m studying AS level Maths, Biology and Psychology atm, am I suited for the Manchester course ???
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.