Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!!!
    I have 6 A* 2A and 1B at GCSE
    AAAA at AS level with A*A*A* prediction in Chem, bio and psychology.
    I have previously done A Levels with A*AB in Theatre Studies, Maths and History and A in AS further maths.
    My UKCAT average is 745 with Band 1 in SJ
    Would this be good enough for Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    Heyy I'm a 12th grade Indian student and I've just decided to do the UKCAT. Is it too late? My bio and chem are pretty good and maths is fine too. Also what scores do they settle for for the BMAT??
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MollBritton98)
    Hi!!!
    I have 6 A* 2A and 1B at GCSE
    AAAA at AS level with A*A*A* prediction in Chem, bio and psychology.
    I have previously done A Levels with A*AB in Theatre Studies, Maths and History and A in AS further maths.
    My UKCAT average is 745 with Band 1 in SJ
    Would this be good enough for Manchester?
    Stats wise they are but Manchester have their own version of the personal statement which heavily influences who's invited to interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceFantatic)
    Stats wise they are but Manchester have their own version of the personal statement which heavily influences who's invited to interview
    Thank you!! I think I have quite a strong PS and a lot of experience and my teachers have said the same but it's just so subjective

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's : 9A's 2B's
    Alevels (Achieved): AAA, A in EPQ
    UKCAT: doing it soon, hoping for 680-700
    I also have good PS ( lot of work exp. volunteering, work shadowing abroad etc)

Do I even stand a chance to even get an interview?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aal0605)
    Heyy I'm a 12th grade Indian student and I've just decided to do the UKCAT. Is it too late? My bio and chem are pretty good and maths is fine too. Also what scores do they settle for for the BMAT??
    BMAT is not for machester, BMAT is for Imperial, UCL, Oxford, Cambridge etc
    Manchester and many other unis that do med are UKCAT

BMAT of 5.0- 6.0 is considered good, and 3.5A or above in english section

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasir Alam)
    International Student applying for medicine 2018 entry.

IGCSE's - 7A* - 1A - 1B (First Language English)

UKCAT - Total 2650, average 663

VR - 560 (just like most students, it was hell long and complicated)
    DM - 650
    QR - 830
    AR - 610

SJT - Band 3 (This disappointed me the most because I scored Band 2 in all my Medify mocks)

I'm still grateful for all that I got since it could've been worse, who knows. Would love to have suggestions of my chances of making it to medical schools (considering I get good A level grades).

I'm considering these unis to apply to:

1. Queens Mary - Barts
    2. St. George's
    3. University of Birmingham
    4. Kings/Nottingham/Manchester/Sheffield

Advise me guys, esp. those living in the UK since you have more idea than me. Thanks!

Maybe not Birminham as they get applicants that actually get accepted with 9A*s or above at gcse's

I know a friend with 5A*s at alevel that got rejected because he only had 5A*s at gcse

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm considering Manchester!
    My stats are
    GCSE : 6A* 2A 1B
    AS: AAAA
    Predicted : A*A*A*
    I also already have A Levels in the wrong subjects : A*AB (in Theatre Studies, Maths and History, I'm 19 but have gone back to sixthform to do chemistry, bio and psychology)
    UKCAtT average is 745 with Band 1
    Would this be a good application? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Why is the course code A106 rather than A100?

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm thinking about applying to Manchester for a fourth. I understand that it does PBL but I'm unsure what this involves. Is it just when you're given a clinical problem in a small group and you have to try and work together to solve it?

My stats:
    GCSEs 10 A*
    AS: AAAA (bio, chem, maths, english literature)
    UKCAT: 758 Band 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khookie)
    Hey! I'm thinking about applying to Manchester for a fourth. I understand that it does PBL but I'm unsure what this involves. Is it just when you're given a clinical problem in a small group and you have to try and work together to solve it?
    We are given a scenario at the start of the week (e.g. man seeing his GP due to long term breathlessness, coughing -> obviously in a lot more detail) and we form questions related to the scenario which we aim to answer by the end of the week (e.g. Why is the patient breathless? What is COPD?). We use lectures, resources available online and textbooks to answer these questions. There are ILOs, which are like A Level specifications, which list exactly what we need to know by the end of the week (e.g. anatomy of the pleura, physiology of COPD, etc) and can be used to supplement the questions (used as a guidance really).

ReputationRep:
    i have a 685, applying this year, will be a graduate student, currently at University of Glasgow studying Genetics predicted a 2.1. hope this isnt a year like 2013 where cut off will really swing high. applying to glasgow, manchester, aberdeen, and dundee (in order of preference)

ReputationRep:
    I am considering Manchester but I feel like my GCSEs and UKCAT will hold me back
    I got 3A*s 2As and 4Bs (B in english lang and lit ) My school for GCSEs is in the bottom 20% (not sure if that makes any difference at all)
    UKCAT was 675 av Band 2
    AS: AAAA and I could be getting an A*A*A*A predictions in Bio, Maths, Chem, and French.
    I think I'll be able to fill out their form fine, but do you think it's worth me applying with my GCSEs and UKCAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RMARL)
    I am considering Manchester but I feel like my GCSEs and UKCAT will hold me back
    I got 3A*s 2As and 4Bs (B in english lang and lit ) My school for GCSEs is in the bottom 20% (not sure if that makes any difference at all)
    UKCAT was 675 av Band 2
    AS: AAAA and I could be getting an A*A*A*A predictions in Bio, Maths, Chem, and French.
    I think I'll be able to fill out their form fine, but do you think it's worth me applying with my GCSEs and UKCAT?
    Hey

Manchester only require you to have atleast 5 A's or A*s at GCSE... which you of course have

The minimum requirement for english language is a B grade so thats also fine

I am 95% confident that you will meet the UKCAT cut off as your score is well above the average cut off for interview (last year the cut off was 653). Also if you went to an under performing school and you live in a certain area that disadvantages you then your ukcat cut off will be even lower

So basically all you need to do is make sure your Non-academic information form looks good

Can i ask what sort of work experience you've done/are doing so far and how long you've done it/been doing it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Sikh Surgeon)
    Hey

Manchester only require you to have atleast 5 A's or A*s at GCSE... which you of course have

The minimum requirement for english language is a B grade so thats also fine

I am 95% confident that you will meet the UKCAT cut off as your score is well above the average cut off for interview (last year the cut off was 653). Also if you went to an under performing school and you live in a certain area that disadvantages you then your ukcat cut off will be even lower

So basically all you need to do is make sure your Non-academic information form looks good

Can i ask what sort of work experience you've done/are doing so far and how long you've done it/been doing it?
    I meet GCSE requirement but don't have high ukcat (660) and also don't have any WP flags. Shall I apply to Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hdheimdnbf)
    I meet GCSE requirement but don't have high ukcat (660) and also don't have any WP flags. Shall I apply to Manchester?
    I'd say that score is fairly high 😂

I got 663 last year and i didnt apply to manchester at first... i waited for the final UKCAT scores to come out in october so i can see how well i did compared to everyone that took it that year... then i changed one of my options to manchester

So basically if you're worried you wont meet the cut off wait for the preliminary (coming out on 15 sept) or final Ukcat scores to be published... manchesters cut off is usually between the 60th - 70th percentile so if your score is at the 65th percentile or above then you should be fairly confident

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that score is fairly high 😂

I got 663 last year and i didnt apply to manchester at first... i waited for the final UKCAT scores to come out in october so i can see how well i did compared to everyone that took it that year... then i changed one of my options to manchester

So basically if you're worried you wont meet the cut off wait for the preliminary (coming out on 15 sept) or final Ukcat scores to be published... manchesters cut off is usually between the 60th - 70th percentile so if your score is at the 65th percentile or above then you should be fairly confident
    Ok was 663 enough then?

ReputationRep:
    Ok was 663 enough then?
    Yh the cut off last year was 653

ReputationRep:
    Yh the cut off last year was 653
    If you meet cut off is it definite interview? Also where else did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    If you meet cut off is it definite interview? Also where else did you apply?
    No... your Non-academic information form is also looked at but when i went to the open day last year the admissions tutor said that out of the 1000 people that meet the UKCAT cut off only 50 of them are rejected due to a poor NAI form

I applied to Leicester, Liverpool and HYMS

Also you dont have to meet the cut off to get an interview

Name:  IMG_2764.PNG
Views: 239
Size:  138.7 KB

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.