Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Kermit)
    Hey I've applied.
    My stats are:
    GCSEs- 2A*, 8A, 1B
    Alevels (achieved)- AAA and an A in EPQ
    Ukcat: 667.5 Band 2
    I know the UKCAT is pretty low but Manchester is the one I really want to go to, do you think they'll give more leeway to those who've already done their A-levels?
    Thank you for the info on this thread by the way- really helpful for clueless folks like me lol.
    No sorry, the UKCAT cut off will be the same for those with achieved and predicted A levels

Last year the cut off was 653 and your score is well above that so applying to Manchester was a good choice You just have to hope for an interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hdheimdnbf)
    Partners scheme has a lower cut off
    what is the ukcat cut off if you're on the partners scheme? I'm eligible for it but have a ukcat average of 640, do you reckon that's too low even with the Partners scheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medic564)
    what is the ukcat cut off if you're on the partners scheme? I'm eligible for it but have a ukcat average of 640, do you reckon that's too low even with the Partners scheme?
    Yes it’s still too low as you know how Newcastle are haha. Last years cut off was 650
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I'm thinking of applying to Manchester, just sat UKCAT and looking for some opinions on if my application sounds okay.

I have achieved A-levels A*AA and A in AS physics
    Not so good GCSEs as hom-ed 2A*2A B but manc says if you have achieved a levels they're not as bothered about GCSEs
    UKCAT average 685 band 2
    Year and a half care home work and shadowing,

Does this sound like a reasonable application?

ReputationRep:
    Im thinking of applying with AAA prediction, 3A*, 6A, 1B GCSE's with a 707.5 UKCAT SJT Band 2... Is this good enough???

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is my first choice uni so really hoping to get in.
    A level predicted: A*AA
    Gcse: 7A*s 2As and 1B
    Ukcat: 708
    Is this good enough?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, applying to Manchester, so here are my stats. I am an EU student but the UK equivalencies would be:

GCSE: 7A* 3A
    A level (predicted):A*A*A*
    UKCAT: 732'5

Am I likely to get an interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shahi12)
    Manchester is my first choice uni so really hoping to get in.
    A level predicted: A*AA
    Gcse: 7A*s 2As and 1B
    Ukcat: 708
    Is this good enough?
    With a good NAI form... Yes!
    (Original post by Schwann cell)
    Hi, applying to Manchester, so here are my stats. I am an EU student but the UK equivalencies would be:
    GCSE: 7A* 3A
    A level (predicted):A*A*A*
    UKCAT: 732'5

Am I likely to get an interview?
    (Original post by molly.butcherx)
    Im thinking of applying with AAA prediction, 3A*, 6A, 1B GCSE's with a 707.5 UKCAT SJT Band 2... Is this good enough???
    (Original post by melodylucia)
    Hiya, I'm thinking of applying to Manchester, just sat UKCAT and looking for some opinions on if my application sounds okay.

I have achieved A-levels A*AA and A in AS physics
    Not so good GCSEs as hom-ed 2A*2A B but manc says if you have achieved a levels they're not as bothered about GCSEs
    UKCAT average 685 band 2
    Year and a half care home work and shadowing,

Does this sound like a reasonable application?
    I'd call Manchester before applying because it says on their website that the minimum requirement for GCSEs is 5 A or A*

ReputationRep:
    GCSE: 5A* 4A 1B
    Predicted A Levels: A*A*A
    UKCAT: 622.5, Band 2

Is applying to Manchester a risk? Or should I go for Exeter instead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by birdcaller2000)
    GCSE: 5A* 4A 1B
    Predicted A Levels: A*A*A
    UKCAT: 622.5, Band 2

Is applying to Manchester a risk? Or should I go for Exeter instead?
    Bit risky, you should be at least sixth decile or higher to be safe. Exeter is mainly focused on predicted grades so you have a good chance there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Sikh Surgeon)

I'd call Manchester before applying because it says on their website that the minimum requirement for GCSEs is 5 A or A*
    Thanks for the reply. Their website says
    "If you are applying with known A-level grades that meet the above requirements, you may be considered even if your GCSE grades do not reach the required standard. However, you must have a minimum of grade B in GCSE English Language and Mathematics. Dual Award Science must be offered at minimum BB or the sciences at minimum grade C at GCSE or AS."

So I figured the GCSEs wouldn't be an issue. Do you still think it is necessary to ring?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melodylucia)
    Thanks for the reply. Their website says
    "If you are applying with known A-level grades that meet the above requirements, you may be considered even if your GCSE grades do not reach the required standard. However, you must have a minimum of grade B in GCSE English Language and Mathematics. Dual Award Science must be offered at minimum BB or the sciences at minimum grade C at GCSE or AS."

So I figured the GCSEs wouldn't be an issue. Do you still think it is necessary to ring?
    Ah sorry I never read that!

If you meet the minimum requirements as you've stated above then there's no need to ring

ReputationRep:
    How important is the non-academic form? Will it form the basis of the interview? Will other factors (high ukcat) make up for a bad form?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcaneMists)
    How important is the non-academic form? Will it form the basis of the interview? Will other factors (high ukcat) make up for a bad form?
    It is quite important... one of the 7 stations at interview will be all about your NAI form

What I was told last year was that they pick around the top 1000 applicants in terms of UKCAT and then eliminate about 50 applicants by looking at the NAI form so I'm not so sure if a high UKCAT score will help there or not

ReputationRep:
    Applied to manchester
    GCSE 5A* 5A
    A level predicted A*AA (biology, chemistry, psychology)
    UKCAT 3120 (780 avg) SJT band 1
    Only AS was maths.... and I got a C, but I have 2 instruments (piano and cornet) at grade 8 so I hope that will cover for me
    Around 300 hours work experience (just over)
    What are my chances looking like? Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I've decided I'm applying to Manchester University

Statistics:
    GCSE:8A*'s,3A's
    A Level predicted: A*A*A
    AS: AABB/AAAB
    UKCAT: 662.5 Band 1
    Got 9 years of volunteering in a community centre
    6 months so far at a hospice
    3 months MAU
    1 week at Gynaecology department
    DofE award too.
    I'm hoping the UKCAT averages drop slightly so that I end up in the top 33%. Otherwise I hope I fare well in the holistic assessment and get an interview.
    Do I have a good chance?

ReputationRep:
    It is quite important... one of the 7 stations at interview will be all about your NAI form

What I was told last year was that they pick around the top 1000 applicants in terms of UKCAT and then eliminate about 50 applicants by looking at the NAI form so I'm not so sure if a high UKCAT score will help there or not
    What would your top tips be for writing a good NAI?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I know it's super duper early but i thought i'd set this up so that anyone who is hoping to apply for medicine at manchester this year can discuss any issues or get advice from fellow TSRians!

Now remember Manchester is PBL and supports your learning through lectures, early clinical placements, simulation sessions, anatomy dissection etc...

Also Manchester is a UKCAT heavy university. They have a UKCAT cut off for interview usually around the 60th - 70th percentile so you need to do well in your UKCAT!

So we can start by posting some stats...
    Gcse: 7A* 2A 1B 1C

If anyone has any questions about manchester please post them... i might be able to answer some as i have already done some research into this university
    Hi, I am an international student. I was studying CIE AS courses and I got A(94) in AS Biology, A(92) in AS Chemistry, and A(87) in AS math. I got my UKCAT result of 2870 with band 2 STJ. Do you think Manchester is a good choice for me ?

ReputationRep:
    Hey , my grades at GCSEs are :
    Maths A*
    Urdu Language A*
    Economics A
    Physics A
    Commercial Studies A
    Chemistry B
    Environmental management B
    English Language B
    Pakistan Studies B
    Commerce B

Can i apply for uni of manchester with these grades ? Kindly suggest me 4 other universities which fit me according to my grades ?
    I've to apply for Undergraduate in computer science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Husnain Ali Abid)
    Hey , my grades at GCSEs are :
    Maths A*
    Urdu Language A*
    Economics A
    Physics A
    Commercial Studies A
    Chemistry B
    Environmental management B
    English Language B
    Pakistan Studies B
    Commerce B

Can i apply for uni of manchester with these grades ? Kindly suggest me 4 other universities which fit me according to my grades ?
    I've to apply for Undergraduate in computer science.
    LOL this is medicine

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.