The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hdheimdnbf
Partners scheme has a lower cut off

what is the ukcat cut off if you're on the partners scheme? I'm eligible for it but have a ukcat average of 640, do you reckon that's too low even with the Partners scheme?
Original post by medic564
what is the ukcat cut off if you're on the partners scheme? I'm eligible for it but have a ukcat average of 640, do you reckon that's too low even with the Partners scheme?

Yes it’s still too low as you know how Newcastle are haha. Last years cut off was 650
Hiya, I'm thinking of applying to Manchester, just sat UKCAT and looking for some opinions on if my application sounds okay.

I have achieved A-levels A*AA and A in AS physics
Not so good GCSEs as hom-ed 2A*2A B but manc says if you have achieved a levels they're not as bothered about GCSEs
UKCAT average 685 band 2
Year and a half care home work and shadowing,

Does this sound like a reasonable application?
Im thinking of applying with AAA prediction, 3A*, 6A, 1B GCSE's with a 707.5 UKCAT SJT Band 2... Is this good enough???
Manchester is my first choice uni so really hoping to get in.
A level predicted: A*AA
Gcse: 7A*s 2As and 1B
Ukcat: 708
Is this good enough?
Hi, applying to Manchester, so here are my stats. I am an EU student but the UK equivalencies would be:

GCSE: 7A* 3A
A level (predicted):A*A*A*
UKCAT: 732'5

Am I likely to get an interview?
Original post by Shahi12
Manchester is my first choice uni so really hoping to get in.
A level predicted: A*AA
Gcse: 7A*s 2As and 1B
Ukcat: 708
Is this good enough?

With a good NAI form... Yes! :smile:
Original post by Schwann cell
Hi, applying to Manchester, so here are my stats. I am an EU student but the UK equivalencies would be:
GCSE: 7A* 3A
A level (predicted):A*A*A*
UKCAT: 732'5

Am I likely to get an interview?

Original post by molly.butcherx
Im thinking of applying with AAA prediction, 3A*, 6A, 1B GCSE's with a 707.5 UKCAT SJT Band 2... Is this good enough???

Original post by melodylucia
Hiya, I'm thinking of applying to Manchester, just sat UKCAT and looking for some opinions on if my application sounds okay.

I have achieved A-levels A*AA and A in AS physics
Not so good GCSEs as hom-ed 2A*2A B but manc says if you have achieved a levels they're not as bothered about GCSEs
UKCAT average 685 band 2
Year and a half care home work and shadowing,

Does this sound like a reasonable application?

I'd call Manchester before applying because it says on their website that the minimum requirement for GCSEs is 5 A or A*
(edited 6 years ago)
GCSE: 5A* 4A 1B
Predicted A Levels: A*A*A
UKCAT: 622.5, Band 2

Is applying to Manchester a risk? Or should I go for Exeter instead?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by birdcaller2000
GCSE: 5A* 4A 1B
Predicted A Levels: A*A*A
UKCAT: 622.5, Band 2

Is applying to Manchester a risk? Or should I go for Exeter instead?

Bit risky, you should be at least sixth decile or higher to be safe. Exeter is mainly focused on predicted grades so you have a good chance there.
Original post by The Sikh Surgeon

I'd call Manchester before applying because it says on their website that the minimum requirement for GCSEs is 5 A or A*

Thanks for the reply. Their website says
"If you are applying with known A-level grades that meet the above requirements, you may be considered even if your GCSE grades do not reach the required standard. However, you must have a minimum of grade B in GCSE English Language and Mathematics. Dual Award Science must be offered at minimum BB or the sciences at minimum grade C at GCSE or AS."

So I figured the GCSEs wouldn't be an issue. Do you still think it is necessary to ring?
Original post by melodylucia
Thanks for the reply. Their website says
"If you are applying with known A-level grades that meet the above requirements, you may be considered even if your GCSE grades do not reach the required standard. However, you must have a minimum of grade B in GCSE English Language and Mathematics. Dual Award Science must be offered at minimum BB or the sciences at minimum grade C at GCSE or AS."

So I figured the GCSEs wouldn't be an issue. Do you still think it is necessary to ring?

Ah sorry I never read that! :colondollar:

If you meet the minimum requirements as you've stated above then there's no need to ring :smile:
How important is the non-academic form? Will it form the basis of the interview? Will other factors (high ukcat) make up for a bad form?
Original post by ArcaneMists
How important is the non-academic form? Will it form the basis of the interview? Will other factors (high ukcat) make up for a bad form?

It is quite important... one of the 7 stations at interview will be all about your NAI form

What I was told last year was that they pick around the top 1000 applicants in terms of UKCAT and then eliminate about 50 applicants by looking at the NAI form so I'm not so sure if a high UKCAT score will help there or not
Applied to manchester
GCSE 5A* 5A
A level predicted A*AA (biology, chemistry, psychology)
UKCAT 3120 (780 avg) SJT band 1
Only AS was maths.... and I got a C, but I have 2 instruments (piano and cornet) at grade 8 so I hope that will cover for me
Around 300 hours work experience (just over)
What are my chances looking like? Thanks in advance :smile:
Hello! :smile: I've decided I'm applying to Manchester University

Statistics:
GCSE:8A*'s,3A's
A Level predicted: A*A*A
AS: AABB/AAAB
UKCAT: 662.5 Band 1
Got 9 years of volunteering in a community centre
6 months so far at a hospice
3 months MAU
1 week at Gynaecology department
DofE award too.
I'm hoping the UKCAT averages drop slightly so that I end up in the top 33%. Otherwise I hope I fare well in the holistic assessment and get an interview.
Do I have a good chance?
It is quite important... one of the 7 stations at interview will be all about your NAI form

What I was told last year was that they pick around the top 1000 applicants in terms of UKCAT and then eliminate about 50 applicants by looking at the NAI form so I'm not so sure if a high UKCAT score will help there or not

What would your top tips be for writing a good NAI?
Hey guys,

I know it's super duper early but i thought i'd set this up so that anyone who is hoping to apply for medicine at manchester this year can discuss any issues or get advice from fellow TSRians!

Now remember Manchester is PBL and supports your learning through lectures, early clinical placements, simulation sessions, anatomy dissection etc...

Also Manchester is a UKCAT heavy university. They have a UKCAT cut off for interview usually around the 60th - 70th percentile so you need to do well in your UKCAT!

So we can start by posting some stats...
Gcse: 7A* 2A 1B 1C

If anyone has any questions about manchester please post them... i might be able to answer some as i have already done some research into this university :smile:

Hi, I am an international student. I was studying CIE AS courses and I got A(94) in AS Biology, A(92) in AS Chemistry, and A(87) in AS math. I got my UKCAT result of 2870 with band 2 STJ. Do you think Manchester is a good choice for me ?
Hey , my grades at GCSEs are :
Maths A*
Urdu Language A*
Economics A
Physics A
Commercial Studies A
Chemistry B
Environmental management B
English Language B
Pakistan Studies B
Commerce B

Can i apply for uni of manchester with these grades ? Kindly suggest me 4 other universities which fit me according to my grades ?
I've to apply for Undergraduate in computer science.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Husnain Ali Abid
Hey , my grades at GCSEs are :
Maths A*
Urdu Language A*
Economics A
Physics A
Commercial Studies A
Chemistry B
Environmental management B
English Language B
Pakistan Studies B
Commerce B

Can i apply for uni of manchester with these grades ? Kindly suggest me 4 other universities which fit me according to my grades ?
I've to apply for Undergraduate in computer science.

LOL this is medicine
Original post by ArcaneMists
LOL this is medicine

my bad .
apologies . ( mistake :P )

Latest

Trending

Trending