Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Teacher training with a third Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hiya all,

i am studying with the open university and hope to graduate in 2019 with a 2:2, but i may graduate with a third. I am finding it hard with a job, volunteering at a school and have children. I am 37 years old and want to change careers and become a primary school teacher, just wondered if anyone knows of any route that accept a third.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know a third is not really accepted anywhere for anything, I would work very hard on that 2.2
    • Very Important Poster

If you arent graduating till 2019, then why would you get a Third? If your marks are weak then take your time but get help in where you are going wrong. You need to kae that extra effort to save yourself a whole lot of hassle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    If you arent graduating till 2019, then why would you get a Third? If your marks are weak then take your time but get help in where you are going wrong. You need to kae that extra effort to save yourself a whole lot of hassle.
    Yes i see what u mean. My marks have been just under the 2:2 threshold. I think im panicking in case i get a third. I kniw i do struggle with the actual writing of a essay, i think i describe things more than actually raise an argument. I think i will speak to student support, see how they can help me. Thank you
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Catherine705990)
    Yes i see what u mean. My marks have been just under the 2:2 threshold. I think im panicking in case i get a third. I kniw i do struggle with the actual writing of a essay, i think i describe things more than actually raise an argument. I think i will speak to student support, see how they can help me. Thank you
    Then you simply need to engage and learn how to write essays, then practic practice practice. Its a skill and for the level you need, then it should eb straightforward. A third shouldnt be in your thinking, doing yourself justice should.

There are many books on writing essays, but maybe you cna get access to a tutor or even hire a private one or someone to mark essays. You make it sound as though you arent sure what to do, when all it requires is to have an opinion and to arrange your thoughts.

Its imperative you have some self belief and that you fight for it just like you would your child. Its is 100% solveable, but you have to want it enough, so that you make the effort.

What subject are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    Then you simply need to engage and learn how to write essays, then practic practice practice. Its a skill and for the level you need, then it should eb straightforward. A third shouldnt be in your thinking, doing yourself justice should.

There are many books on writing essays, but maybe you cna get access to a tutor or even hire a private one or someone to mark essays. You make it sound as though you arent sure what to do, when all it requires is to have an opinion and to arrange your thoughts.

Its imperative you have some self belief and that you fight for it just like you would your child. Its is 100% solveable, but you have to want it enough, so that you make the effort.

What subject are you studying?

Yes you are right, i think im just thinking too negatively. I know what to do, i gain plenty of notes but when it comes down to the actual writing i struggle with making it more critical. I will speak to my titor and perhaps look for a good book to buy. I am studying English literature at the moment with the Open University.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Catherine705990)
    Yes you are right, i think im just thinking too negatively. I know what to do, i gain plenty of notes but when it comes down to the actual writing i struggle with making it more critical. I will speak to my titor and perhaps look for a good book to buy. I am studying English literature at the moment with the Open University.
    You sound as though you have a vaue idea of what might be wrong, but imo you need more impetus and a timetable of setting things right. It has to be sooner rather than later. You need the skills now and not later, hence you are going to have to organise and make time. If you cannot then syspend your studies whilst you can.

Read book- do extra essays, get them marked, learn.

This book gets good reviews, but there are plenty of others.

I wouldnt understimate the value in paying for a private tutor to mark essays for you and they cna teach you the skill or perhaps you can get access from student services. You might be a bit rusty or never learned, but please dont get into the mindset about it being OU, busy mum, mature student. it is simply learning a skill. Completely within your reach.

Good luck

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Writi...M2MSQTCGXWP7RJ

ReputationRep:
    You sound as though you have a vaue idea of what might be wrong, but imo you need more impetus and a timetable of setting things right. It has to be sooner rather than later. You need the skills now and not later, hence you are going to have to organise and make time. If you cannot then syspend your studies whilst you can.

Read book- do extra essays, get them marked, learn.

This book gets good reviews, but there are plenty of others.

I wouldnt understimate the value in paying for a private tutor to mark essays for you and they cna teach you the skill or perhaps you can get access from student services. You might be a bit rusty or never learned, but please dont get into the mindset about it being OU, busy mum, mature student. it is simply learning a skill. Completely within your reach.

Good luck

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Writi...M2MSQTCGXWP7RJ
    You are definately right, i am in that mindset and probably just making excuses, i need to sort it out now. Tomorrow i am going to look for a book, And speak to student support and maybe find a private tutor. Thank you for your advise.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.