Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    A loss in revenue of £40 billion? Christ.

We have proposed a tax like this in the past (in a fashion that wasn't so damaging to the national finances). It did not go down well.
    For all the criticisms of this bill, how is revenue neutrality damaging to the national finances?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladstone1885)
    I can see you've done your research so I will consider this before the second reading. I won't keep debating when you clearly know your facts on this one

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To help you with editing the bill, read the Alternative Tax Act 2015, the Alternative Tax Act (Repeal) Bill 2015, and the Alternative Tax Act (Repeal) Bill 2016 for detailed arguments with sources included about a land tax.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladstone1885)
    For all the criticisms of this bill, how is revenue neutrality damaging to the national finances?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I apologise, I misread and assumed the first figure given was net loss.

An idea I would support but the bill needs to be fleshed out more.

ReputationRep:
      100% in favour, an aye from me.

ReputationRep:
      Nay. Very important to maintain inheritance tax at least.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by RayApparently)
      A loss in revenue of £40 billion? Christ.

We have proposed a tax like this in the past (in a fashion that wasn't so damaging to the national finances). It did not go down well.
      It isn't a revenuie loss of £40bn, it's bad research. The revenue lost from the tax cuts proposed isn't even £40bn (bad research) and taking the old ATA calculations and changing the rate gives a minimum revenue for the new tax of about £80bn for England alone and has high as about a quarter of a trillion (more bad research).

Actually this is less damaging given the tax hike is slightly lower.
      • Very Important Poster
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      Where the tax is applied to the property minus improvements, does that mean improvements made in that tax year, By the current owner or ever?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Aph)
      Where the tax is applied to the property minus improvements, does that mean improvements made in that tax year, By the current owner or ever?
      It isn't property minus improvements, but value of land as assessed by HMRC. I can see why you would think property - improvements, though, as I wrote that in the bill. Changes to come
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      Nay.
      • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
      Nay
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      I'm all for taxing wealth over other things ect.. but the manner in which you wish to implement it and the taxes you have given priority to mean that i can not as the Shadow Chancellor i cannot recommend that the opposition support this bill.

Also the idea that cutting corporation tax leads to lower prices is just lol worthy.
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
      Nay. Very important to maintain inheritance tax at least.
      (Original post by Rakas21)
      I'm all for taxing wealth over other things ect.. but the manner in which you wish to implement it and the taxes you have given priority to mean that i can not as the Shadow Chancellor i cannot recommend that the opposition support this bill.

Also the idea that cutting corporation tax leads to lower prices is just lol worthy.
      It's beautiful.

#bipartisanagreement (though for markedly different reasons)

ReputationRep:
      Abstain. For obvious reasons, corporation tax (for large international corporations) should not be lowered. I actually do like the idea of abolishing inheritance tax, and introducing some form of land tax, but I don't see how this can all be achieved on one bill.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Emily Porter)
      Abstain. For obvious reasons, corporation tax (for large international corporations) should not be lowered. I actually do like the idea of abolishing inheritance tax, and introducing some form of land tax, but I don't see how this can all be achieved on one bill.
      Lolwut, you support the bits that help the 1% (pretty much literally) and the bit that harms everybody (except perhaps the 1% in some cases) and oppose the bit that aids the economy at large (ergo pretty much everybody)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      Land value tax = brilliant.

Not using the revenue to reduce the most regressive taxes = awful.

Change what you're cutting and we're there. Council tax needs to be first up otherwise you're double taxing property & then I would go with VAT personally.

http://kaalvtn.blogspot.co.uk/p/valu...-receipts.html - this is pretty cool as a methodology for estimating potential returns to LVT also.

ReputationRep:
      Ima withdraw this and come back with something better
      • Community Assistant
      • Political Ambassador
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      Nay
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      This bill has been withdrawn.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.