Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not meeting conditions of offer but still getting in? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I received a conditional offer from Manchester(my first reply, awaiting 4 more). I was just wondering if I don't meet the grades, is it still possible that they will "reconsider" and admit me anyway?

For instance, they are requiring me to get the highest grade in maths (I'm Finnish), so simply missing that one grade would mean that I do not meet the requirements even though I could have everything else at the highest grade. (I'm doing 8 subjects so it's different to the UK btw)

In other words, how often do universities take students that get slightly below the grades that are required in the offer?

I do feel that I am capable of getting the grades that they want, just asking.

ReputationRep:
    depends on the competition for the course, the amount of ppl missing the grades etc... it depends on the year. No one can say for sure. dont risk it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomazo)
    I received a conditional offer from Manchester(my first reply, awaiting 4 more). I was just wondering if I don't meet the grades, is it still possible that they will "reconsider" and admit me anyway?

For instance, they are requiring me to get the highest grade in maths (I'm Finnish), so simply missing that one grade would mean that I do not meet the requirements even though I could have everything else at the highest grade. (I'm doing 8 subjects so it's different to the UK btw)

In other words, how often do universities take students that get slightly below the grades that are required in the offer?

All you can do is do the best you can. Universities will look at what ever you get and decide on the day before the results are due whether to let you in. If on the day you are rejected, phone them up and renegotiate with them. All unis have a few left over places at the beginning due to rejections, clearing and adjustment so you might get in that way. I got into my uni (which required AAB) with CDE as I phoned them up on the day and bargained with them about letting me in. Also unis often do let people in who get slightly under but it's not something to rely upon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomazo)

It will depend on the subject (how competitive it is) and the university. When I was looking around universities they did say that if we got one grade below (AAB instead of AAA) they may still consider us- however it wasn't something to rely on. They said they would look through our personal statements and then they would decide, however this was at only two universities I looked at. I'd imagine that for more 'unpopular' courses then it might be more commonplace. If you have just slipped by a couple of marks, I'd imagine for most courses they would still let you in- but that's my assumption.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwaggy)
    All you can do is do the best you can. Universities will look at what ever you get and decide on the day before the results are due whether to let you in. If on the day you are rejected, phone them up and renegotiate with them. All unis have a few left over places at the beginning due to rejections, clearing and adjustment so you might get in that way. I got into my uni (which required AAB) with CDE as I phoned them up on the day and bargained with them about letting me in. Also unis often do let people in who get slightly under but it's not something to rely upon
    It would be more helpful if you were a little more honest about the circumstances, rather than give the OP false hope wouldn't it?

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely happened before, but as voiced by many other don't rely on that insurance. There's not guarantee they will do that and are perfectly within their rights to reject you if you miss the offer. Sometimes you see unis (e.g. York and KCL) saying they want AAA or A*AB - i.e. if you get below what is expected in one subject but higher in another, they'll let you in. I don't know about Manchester, it would best to ring their admissions office - even better the department's office to see if that would be the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    It would be more helpful if you were a little more honest about the circumstances, rather than give the OP false hope wouldn't it?
    You do not know my circumstances, or the OP's so hold your tongue on the judgement.

ReputationRep:
    You do not know my circumstances, or the OP's so hold your tongue on the judgement.
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...php?p=69402682 Post #4. In it, you state that you had serious extenuating circumstances. If that is true, then that is extremely relevant to this thread. If it's not true...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...php?p=69402682 Post #4. In it, you state that you had serious extenuating circumstances. If that is true, then that is extremely relevant to this thread. If it's not true...?
    Okay,

1) Get a life. Stalking my posts is just creepy. Really creepy
    2) I simply told OP what I went through.
    3) I mentioned that getting in with lower grades wasn't something to rely on
    4) Since we are going with 'I can't give advice as I had extenuating circumstances', I know a whole cohort of people (friends, family, friends of friends) who got into reputable unis with lower grades that asked for, minus the ominous extenuating circumstances. So as I said in my posts, and as many others have mentioned - one can get in with lower grades, it simply relies on:

1) How low the grades are
    2) Contextual info (some schools get lower offers, also depends on the qualifications completed)
    3) How many spaces there are left on results day
    4) How quickly you react on results day to contact the uni for a place
    5) Sometimes the uni affirms your place with lower grades anyway

So please don't be so anal and back off.

ReputationRep:
    Okay,

1) Get a life. Stalking my posts is just creepy. Really creepy
    2) I simply told OP what I went through.
    3) I mentioned that getting in with lower grades wasn't something to rely on
    4) Since we are going with 'I can't give advice as I had extenuating circumstances', I know a whole cohort of people (friends, family, friends of friends) who got into reputable unis with lower grades that asked for, minus the ominous extenuating circumstances. So as I said in my posts, and as many others have mentioned - one can get in with lower grades, it simply relies on:

1) How low the grades are
    2) Contextual info (some schools get lower offers, also depends on the qualifications completed)
    3) How many spaces there are left on results day
    4) How quickly you react on results day to contact the uni for a place
    5) Sometimes the uni affirms your place with lower grades anyway

So please don't be so anal and back off.
    I think what they're trying to say is that for most people they aren't going to get into an AAB university with CDE, hence you could be giving false hope to someone who thinks they might be able to get in with those grades as you didn't mention you had extenuating circumstances that allowed you to get in with those grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emduck)
    I think what they're trying to say is that for most people they aren't going to get into an AAB university with CDE, hence you could be giving false hope to someone who thinks they might be able to get in with those grades as you didn't mention you had extenuating circumstances that allowed you to get in with those grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which I understand to an extent. One doesn't have to be so impolite to make the point though. I simply tried to give a positive story; I know plenty of people who have done the same, minus the EC, as stated in my last post. Do not forget that I mentioned it was a feat not to be relied upon!

Edit: Also, I am so used to mentioning my extenuating circumstances to people on TSR for advice, it gets to a point where I simply forget to mention them on a guise that everyone knows. That's obviously not the case; I lose sight of the idea that only a few dozen people out of the thousands on here would have seen anything I published.

Notwithstanding; since I know people who have accomplished the same as I without the ECs, isn't the argument moot? There is no false hope to give as I can verify those who have achieved this. Furthermore, this is an obsolete strand. All here wish to advise and help OP. Nit-picking my post is now pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the replies, looks like it is as I suspected that you can still get in with slightly below grades and renegotiation is possible.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.