Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Calling violin players! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I used to play violin when I was about 10/11/12 and got to grade 3 (not that I'm saying I sounded that good!), but I know how to read music and I know the notes on the violin and scales etc.
    And now I want to start it up again and try and get good, so has anyone got any advice on some good songs to learn as a beginner/intermediate? Don't want something super complicated but not the really basic beginner stuff.

I'm up for classical, modern, instrumental soundtracks - any suggestions will do!

ReputationRep:
    ask CheeseIsVeg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzbeebee)
    I used to play violin when I was about 10/11/12 and got to grade 3 (not that I'm saying I sounded that good!), but I know how to read music and I know the notes on the violin and scales etc.
    And now I want to start it up again and try and get good, so has anyone got any advice on some good songs to learn as a beginner/intermediate? Don't want something super complicated but not the really basic beginner stuff.

I'm up for classical, modern, instrumental soundtracks - any suggestions will do!

Hey

A couple of years ago I took a break from the violin after I hit grade 7 (first year of GCSEs - it was getting a tad stressful lol) until I had to start practising again for GCSE music performances in y11. There was around a year gap which meant once I got back to it, it definitely felt weird. So I bet it's gonna feel really weird to you too haha.

What I found easiest to do to get back into it was to try and find music that I'd done before I'd taken the break that were perhaps slightly easier than my level (so I looked around at some old g6/7 stuff) and pick up the pieces from there. So maybe you could start finding some grade 3 level stuff in a grade 3 book or whatever? (I can't find any of my grade 3 stuff right now but here's the current ABRSM g3 violin syllabus: http://us.abrsm.org/en/our-exams/bow...iolin-grade-3/ ).

Another thing that will be super useful to you is to spend a majority of the time at the beginning by practising scales. This will get your fingers used to the positions on the violin again and make sureee that you listen to each note at a time to get them exactly in tune rather than rushing through them and thinking "yay, I'm done!!" To make it more enjoyable, see if you can find any scale drills on youtube or something.

I don't know whether you know anything about key signatures and the equivalent scales? For example, C maj has no sharps or flats, G maj has 1 sharp etc. Anyway, if not, you can google 'what key has [insert key signature here]. What you can do when learning a piece of music is look at the key, practice the scale and then try to learn the piece. That way, you've already practised where the fingers are going if that makes sense?

I hope this helps even though it's just kinda splurged out into a reply lol

-Anna

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigwidgeon_)
    Hey

A couple of years ago I took a break from the violin after I hit grade 7 (first year of GCSEs - it was getting a tad stressful lol) until I had to start practising again for GCSE music performances in y11. There was around a year gap which meant once I got back to it, it definitely felt weird. So I bet it's gonna feel really weird to you too haha.

What I found easiest to do to get back into it was to try and find music that I'd done before I'd taken the break that were perhaps slightly easier than my level (so I looked around at some old g6/7 stuff) and pick up the pieces from there. So maybe you could start finding some grade 3 level stuff in a grade 3 book or whatever? (I can't find any of my grade 3 stuff right now but here's the current ABRSM g3 violin syllabus: http://us.abrsm.org/en/our-exams/bow...iolin-grade-3/ ).

Another thing that will be super useful to you is to spend a majority of the time at the beginning by practising scales. This will get your fingers used to the positions on the violin again and make sureee that you listen to each note at a time to get them exactly in tune rather than rushing through them and thinking "yay, I'm done!!" To make it more enjoyable, see if you can find any scale drills on youtube or something.

I don't know whether you know anything about key signatures and the equivalent scales? For example, C maj has no sharps or flats, G maj has 1 sharp etc. Anyway, if not, you can google 'what key has [insert key signature here]. What you can do when learning a piece of music is look at the key, practice the scale and then try to learn the piece. That way, you've already practised where the fingers are going if that makes sense?

I hope this helps even though it's just kinda splurged out into a reply lol

-Anna
    Oo thank you for all this

Yeah I got it out and played it today for the first time in a few years and boy is it harder than I remember it was! Think it's going to take a while to get back into the swing of it...

I think a grade 3 book sounds good, I'll have a little browse on amazon and see what I can find. I need to get used to just handling it again, it's just so frustrating that all the grade 3 songs are still basic and sound like crap haha, but I guess I've got to start somewhere!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.