Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why was Romanticism popular?

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, we must look at the question itself. You have made the presumption that it was popular, rather than just a literary movement limited to a few individual artists in the nineteenth century. If we accept the premise of the question for the sake of it though, the main reasons seem to be: the industrial revolution which was leading to distance between man and nature as urban areas began to grow, the destruction to the environment, the yearning for the past reflected in ruralism and pastoralism, a tradition of longevity especially in classical tradition, it has great precedent (Cato, On Agriculture).

Romanticism was as much about politics and individuality in society as it was in art, a rebellion of social norms, a renewed interest in the medieval and ethnicity, which lead to the concept of national identities and national historians. Bold figures such as Napoleon promoting individual rights and self determination (at least in theory). Idealism, boldness, the wanderer (the famous painting of the man on the rocks. It reflected both the peculiar yearning to be a member of society, while at the same time preserving autonomy and individuality.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much. I honestly that the French Revolution had a big part to play. Can I also ask, what about the Gothic genre? Did that benefit the romantic movement in becoming greater?

In addition, can I use your answer for my blog?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melissadh)
    Thank you so much. I honestly that the French Revolution had a big part to play. Can I also ask, what about the Gothic genre? Did that benefit the romantic movement in becoming greater?

In addition, can I use your answer for my blog?
    The French Revolution and the Gothic genre certainly had an enormous impact, the former in particular completely attacked the foundations of European monarchy and put the continent into a shock it did not recover from until the Congress of Vienna around twenty years later. Romanticism is such a complex subject that it's not easy to condense into a few characters, there really is too many things to speak of.

You may use my answer in your blog, but as it provides no primary sources or textual evidence I would discourage from academic usage, i'm very confident the information is correct (or at least the idea behind it is logical) but yes the sources themselves should be looked at.

The Gothic genre had quite an influence due to its association with some of the main writers of the Romantic movement, Shelly (Frankenstein), Percy Shelly and Byron tapped into the dark and mystical together while on holiday one time, they used themes common to their other writing which generally defied the conventional and favoured a reevaluation of societal norms (Frankenstein demonstrates the destruction of playing God, as the factory was)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    I am studying Frankenstein right now and see the link.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melissadh)
    Thanks
    I am studying Frankenstein right now and see the link.
    No worries,message me anything literature related. I'm a massive book nerd.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.