Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Scared about studying abroad Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying abroad next semester but as it gets closer, I feel quite anxious and upset about going. I miss my family and boyfriend so much when I'm away, it's making me nervous about leaving. I don't know what to do..Advice?

I'm in tears at the thought of leaving my boyfriend.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like moving too much but I might be moving away in september And I can just Tell you that I'm finding The thought of It quite scary.

ReputationRep:
    I left for my study abroad Feb 2015 and although I knew I was gonna miss my family and friends I didn't let it take away from the experiences that I knew I would gain.

The best way to deal with the emotions is to keep reminding yourself that its temporary you are not going forever, have your bf/family visit you if possible, come home for a few days during Easter, have a schedule set up so you can facetime/skype loved ones.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting all upset and bottling it up. I hate pretending I'm excited to go when I'm not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottsstudent96)
    I'm getting all upset and bottling it up. I hate pretending I'm excited to go when I'm not.
    If you really don't wanna go then don't go, but I would strongly advise against it. It's definitely last minute anxiety, everything will be fine and you need to remember the reasons why you applied to study abroad in the first place it's truly an amazing experience that so few get!

ReputationRep:
    I do languages so studying abroad is compulsory for my degree. I just keep worrying and upsetting myself about going. Last semester, I went to Canada to study, didn't make many friends and missed home. This semester, I'm only going to Spain but I'm so anxious.
    I can't help but not feel upset about leaving my boyfriend behind to go.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how to change this mindset. Im scared of crying and telling people I'm upset about leaving

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how to change this mindset. Im scared of crying and telling people I'm upset about leaving
    You need to let them know how you really feel and sort it out. No point spending one more day feeling like utter crap.

ReputationRep:
    The English community in Spain (esp Malaga) is very tight knit. It looks out for each other.

ReputationRep:
    Tell them you're upset, be open about your feelings. They're legitimate.

That being said, living abroad is an adventure and a privilege. It is also a responsibility. You will discover a lot of things, so long as you get out and seek them instead of staying back. Esp. when you are learning a language, there are all sorts of people to meet and interact with.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.