Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a senior in high school in California, USA. I am applying to study Journalism and Politics at the London Met next year but I have read a lot of mixed reviews that makes me cautious. Why is the Met so terrible? On the outside it seems great. Would I be better of going to Glasgow or Edinburgh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzylonergan)
    I am a senior in high school in California, USA. I am applying to study Journalism and Politics at the London Met next year but I have read a lot of mixed reviews that makes me cautious. Why is the Met so terrible? On the outside it seems great. Would I be better of going to Glasgow or Edinburgh?
    It's not a reputable university at all. Glasgow/Edinburgh are much better choices
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Lol'd @ title. Has to be a troll

ReputationRep:
    London is a great place to study Journalism as it's the central hub of all things media but London Met isn't a very reputable university and reviews as well as league table rankings aren't the best for a reason. Every uni wants to make themselves look good but you have to look at what the students have to say. If you'd like to stay in London to study you'd be better off looking at Goldsmiths, Westminster, City etc. Birmingham is also good for their media courses. Other than that, Glasgow/Edinburgh would be better options than London Met.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikachū)
    Lol'd @ title. Has to be a troll
    Sorry lol not a troll. Just a confused Californian who is having a hell of a time applying to UK schools

ReputationRep:
    Sorry lol not a troll. Just a confused Californian who is having a hell of a time applying to UK schools
    TSR is known for extreme snobbery when it comes to university prestige, half the site thinks you'll be on welfare for life if you don't go to Oxbridge.

However London Met has come bottom of every league table for years so I'd choose Glasgow or Edinburgh in a heartbeat.

ReputationRep:
    Why is the Met so terrible?
    London Metropolitan University (LMU) illegally allowed students that did not have permission to stay in the country, a "significant proportion" did not have sufficient English and there was no proof that half of those sampled were turning up to lectures. LMU is permanently at the bottom of all of the League Tables because of this and the fact their administration are absolutely horrendous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    TSR is known for extreme snobbery when it comes to university prestige, half the site thinks you'll be on welfare for life if you don't go to Oxbridge.

However London Met has come bottom of every league table for years so I'd choose Glasgow or Edinburgh in a heartbeat.
    What exactly is a league table?

ReputationRep:
    Ha ha you got me. Nice bait.

:hat2:

ReputationRep:
    Every year, all the universities in the UK are ranked. Here you go:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ables/rankings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    London Metropolitan University (LMU) illegally allowed students that did not have permission to stay in the country, a "significant proportion" did not have sufficient English and there was no proof that half of those sampled were turning up to lectures. LMU is permanently at the bottom of all of the League Tables because of this and the fact their administration are absolutely horrendous.
    What is a league table?

ReputationRep:
    What is a league table?

:troll:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Ha ha you got me. Nice bait.

:hat2:
    Wait is it a troll?

ReputationRep:
    Every year, all the universities in the UK are ranked. Here you go:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ables/rankings
    THANK YOU. You honestly have no idea how helpful all of this is. I wish I had found TSR sooner.

ReputationRep:
    THANK YOU. You honestly have no idea how helpful all of this is. I wish I had found TSR sooner.
    You're very welcome

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I guess you weren't trolling.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    TSR is known to be pretty snobby (often by people who have never been or just want to follow what everyone else says). London Met as a uni doesnt have the best rep, although the journalism course has a pretty good one. There have been a number of threads by students who are on the course, enjoyed it, good lecturers and got jobs.

That said if I was choosing then I would ho elsewhere. Take the league tables (there are at least 4 sets) with a pinch of salt, they hardly ever agree, but can be used as a guide and will show the same unis appearing consistently.

I wouldnt be so attached on studying in London.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You're very welcome
    Do you have any first hand experience of the journalism course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Do you have any first hand experience of the journalism course?
    Hahhahaahah no, I study Biology
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Hahhahaahah no, I study Biology
    Nice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    London Metropolitan University resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.