Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to like yourself? (I keep having really bad mood swings) Watch

One minute I can be sat feeling content with myself, appreciating myself, motivated for A-levels etc.
    Then suddenly, I just feel so crappy and start despising myself for no apparent reason. Why do people even like me? They probably all hate me. What do I have to offer anyone? I deserve to be hurt.
    But you see, nothing has even happened to make me feel like this. I just started feeling like this. It's been happening for a while now. At night it gets much, much worse.

I'm trying to think more positively about myself but it's hard when I have these moods.
    Do you have any tips or ideas of things I could do when I'm in these moods? A part of my mind is saying that I should do bad things, but I really don't want to do those things.
    I just want to be at peace with myself, you know?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    One minute I can be sat feeling content with myself, appreciating myself, motivated for A-levels etc.
    Then suddenly, I just feel so crappy and start despising myself for no apparent reason. Why do people even like me? They probably all hate me. What do I have to offer anyone? I deserve to be hurt.
    But you see, nothing has even happened to make me feel like this. I just started feeling like this. It's been happening for a while now. At night it gets much, much worse.

I'm trying to think more positively about myself but it's hard when I have these moods.
    Do you have any tips or ideas of things I could do when I'm in these moods? A part of my mind is saying that I should do bad things, but I really don't want to do those things.
    I just want to be at peace with myself, you know?
    Have you seen your GP at all about this or talked to anyone? It sounds like you could really use the help tbh. I've felt similar in the past, and still do to an extent, but I promise no-one deserves to be hurt and you are included in that.

In terms of things to do, what sort of stuff do you enjoy? Distractions etc cover up the problem rather than solving it but that's what you need a lot of the time. Find some good books to read, music to listen to, anything really. Look into mindfulness too, and things like online jigsaws and colouring can be amazing. You can always talk to or email the samaritans too- you don't have to be suicidal. But yeah, I'd really recommend seeing your GP when you can. You don't deserve this, and it sounds like it could really do with sorting before things get any worse for you. Hope that helps a bit!

ReputationRep:
    Agreed with furryface12
    Just so you know, you are not alone in feeling like that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.