The Student Room Group

How did you overcome a difficult point in your life?

Listening to heroin by Velvet Underground always makes me emotional :cry2:
So how did you get through a really difficult time and do you have any advice for someone going through tough times? :smile:

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Listened to music and surrounded myself around people who I care about and who care for me.
Reply 2
I focused on what gave me most joy and also what needed help more than I did which was my pets. They reminded me that I had a reason to go on, not only because they needed me to feed them and look after them but because there were still great joy in my life and that I wasn't alone , despite the negative things I was going through and that still more joy in life was yet to be discovered :smile:

Helping others such as on here with MH and personal problem and worries and doing voluntary work helped too :h:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I think the most difficult times in my life I just had to keep telling myself there were people I still had to live for and that as we only get so many years to live that there was no point dwelling on the past all the time.
Well my Year 7-10 days and currently sometimes 11 have been hell both at school and home, its really just a thing of you're gonna have to face it theres no turning back time, all you can do is prepare yourself to soften the blow, and don't be afraid to cry, when things get too hard and just do something to make you feel better, watch a funny tv show or movie, listen to YT videos or music or read. It also helps to not think about the present but the future, cause remember the saying "One day you'll look back at this and laugh", the bad times eventually pass but so does the good, time is continuous. Just think about all the times in the past you faced a crappy situation you survived them and this will just be another one of those moments in like 10 years time.
Apart from that one time I almost threw myself off a 1000ft bridge or w/e i've been ok
Music has always helped me get through tough times, and talking about any issues I'm having with people close to me (not necessarily family though). Also mentally preparing myself for the worst (if you've read my blog you may know what I'm referring to), so that if it did happen, it wouldn't be quite such a shock.

One thing I always try to remind myself is that even if you feel totally alone in life, you've always got one person - you. So you need to look after yourself and try not to get overwhelmed by negativity :smile:
Music tbh plus talking to people about my issue.
I think I was 11/12. I lost someone. This song helped at the time although I still cried for years(still do). Idk if i'd say I've fully overcome it though.
[video="youtube;r_8ydghbGSg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_8ydghbGSg[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
You will never get over whatever it is that's happening in your life. It will haunt you until the last of your days. Trust me I speak from experience :cry2:
Original post by jay2013
You will never get over whatever it is that's happening in your life. It will haunt you until the last of your days. Trust me I speak from experience :cry2:

Holy crap you must piss out dust.
Reply 11
I worked every hour i could get at mcdonalds dont know why but working hard made me feel better.
Nearly died from sepsis a few years ago because of chronic eczema, took years to recover and covered my whole body. Docs gave me steroids which made things worse because they made my itch-scratch cycle worse. At some times it was so bad behind my legs that I couldn't walk. Only way to recover was through continuous thought on how I can improve my situation and dedicating myself to fully to recovery, also my family helped a lot. Has completely gone now.
Listening to emo music and spending most of my time studying.
Reply 14
always try to think positively... even though its bloody hard sometimes!
just think of your favorite things...

[video="youtube;0IagRZBvLtw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IagRZBvLtw[/video]
Reply 16
I'm gyming and listening to the music, because otherwise I'd be a crying wreck :h:
Reply 17
Talking to my closest friends for support really helped.
Basically just cried for hours

And then told my parents everything to get it all of my chest

Music helps too
I've found that simply waiting for my problems to disappear while I'm listening to music never really works. So yeah, I'm trying to overcome this stuff by enjoying what life gives me every day and actually trying to change sth.

Quick Reply

Latest