Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saharan_skies)
    What do you mean you didn't become a doctor??????
    pfft, I 'thankfully' picked a respectable(??) field that they approve of. Astrophysics is it for me What about you?
    lolol im actually in year 11 oops. my a level plan was fine art, art history and film studies and i was thinking of a career in film though

Astrophysics is amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faloodeh)
    lolol im actually in year 11 oops. my a level plan was fine art, art history and film studies and i was thinking of a career in film though

Astrophysics is amazing.
    o, no, i haven't actually gotten into a uni yet, that's just what I want to do for my field hehe. and that sounds briLLIANT. Your A-level plan sounds really creative and interesting in my opinion. In another life, I would have loved to delve into all of that. I'm picking a more Sciency path as is obvious. (Physics, Maths, Chemistry and EPQ as my AS) My boyfriend also wants to do something similar to you, except he's picked English lit and Maths like me haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saharan_skies)
    o, no, i haven't actually gotten into a uni yet, that's just what I want to do for my field hehe. and that sounds briLLIANT. Your A-level plan sounds really creative and interesting in my opinion. In another life, I would have loved to delve into all of that. I'm picking a more Sciency path as is obvious. (Physics, Maths, Chemistry and EPQ as my AS) My boyfriend also wants to do something similar to you, except he's picked English lit and Maths like me haha.
    Sounds like a lot of work, chemistry makes my head hurt lol. Goodluck to the both of you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faloodeh)
    Sounds like a lot of work, chemistry makes my head hurt lol. Goodluck to the both of you
    haha, that's me with english!! good luck to you too

ReputationRep:
    People generally don't like maths because they're bad at it. The 'one correct answer' (which IS the case at school) goes both ways, it's nice to know you got it 'properly' right but fi you get it wrong then there's no room for grey, it's just wrong - whereas in English it's more of a sliding scale.

It's also taught really badly for the most part - no real world application, no creativity, just pages and pages of boring exercises. Often maths teachers don't even have the best grasp of the subject themselves, many haven't actually got a degree in Maths and while you don't need to know really advanced mathematics to teach GCSE maths at a basic level - I definitely think a deeper understand helps you teach better and engage the kids more.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    One of the reason could be that mathematics is teached badly at school.

(Original post by Pikachū)
    Because you need logic and the ability to think to do maths which most people don't have.
    That is right. Moreover the problem is the lessons in mathematics don't hardly give students a chance to get better in thinking logically.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.