Why do so many people hate maths? Watch

Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JustSomeRandomer)
Slow it down I am only on GCSE level
Things can always change. Would you not like to begin Physics at A levels?
JustSomeoneAlone
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Not there yet still got to sit my second physics paper before I start considering it.
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chloewright11)
I hate maths because i see it as pointless. the only bit i do agree with is learning percentages and decimals basically what we need in our everyday life. so why make us find the area of a triangle using trignometry or something, or vectors when its not relatable. the fact that it is a subject that requires application rather than memorisation makes it a lot harder to do and understand
But this doesn't make sense..

You learn that stuff because it gives you the background and basis of logical thinking or visualisation skills.

That's like saying history is useless because we don't "need" to know about history in our day to day lives. Similarly, this can be extended to virtually every. single. academic. discipline. Especially all of the non-vocational ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not there yet still got to sit my second physics paper before I start considering it.
Take the time and think about it carefully. Physics at this level is so hard to manage or it may hard for students who don't adhere to.
BTAnonymous
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Physics is gooood. If you like it, take it. Even if you think you're not so good at maths, you'll have the drive to get better and become a better physicist.

Best subject ever. Without it, maths is boring.
JustSomeoneAlone
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BTAnonymous)
Physics is gooood. If you like it, take it. Even if you think you're not so good at maths, you'll have the drive to get better and become a better physicist.

Best subject ever. Without it, maths is boring.
I do enjoy it but my favourite subject has to be history by miles.
BTAnonymous
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do enjoy it but my favourite subject has to be history by miles.
BOOOOO!

No offence
5h5
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
algebra is the only good part the rest is a mf pain especially geometry ughhhhbbbbbbbbbbb
JustSomeoneAlone
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BTAnonymous)
BOOOOO!

No offence
Doesn't mean that I don't enjoy some physics though.
Iahmed512
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm taking physics a level too so I might start during summer holidays although whether I plan to do it and don't actually end up doing it, I'm going to have too for most of my subjects because my current school sixth form set work over summer which is due on first lesson back.
MidnightHaze
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well, many people choose the easy way out of things. Just look at how dependent we are of phones and other appliances. Thinking critically is not something people like to do, because in doing so, they may be able to recognize that they aren't right most of the time, and many people do not like it. Math also requires you to think logically, most of us would have our lives sorted out by now if we used our minds instead of our hearts. Also, some people equate getting answers right with self-worth, so if they get anything wrong, some may have even less confidence in themselves. It's all down to our way of thinking, tbh. Math requires a particular set of skills that will help us later on (not the equations or the formulae if you are choosing a non-mathematical field). But they are not the type of skills people want to have because then, they would lose the so-called "positive" or "easy going" image others perceive them to have.
ThePricklyOne
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Pigster)
There are over 300 proofs of Pythagoras' theorem. There is not "only one right answer".

I am not a mathematician, but I do at least understand that it is an incredibly creative subject. How could it be that people can spend their lives studying the subject? People who are mathematicians don't just sit in rooms adding numbers up to see what they come to.

I was told a story about a question on a paper for one of the hardest maths competitions for secondary school students, in which the people who set the paper had a mark scheme that was a page and a half long. A sixteen year old student noticed something they hadn't and, correctly, answered the question in two lines. How dare you say that maths isn't creative!?">£
Sometimes it's the people who aren't creative who hate maths, because they don't like to work to find the answer. They like English or history where the answer is more obvious or they can get it by reading stuff off the internet.

Also maths is often presented as something very intimidating as in 'you either know it or you don't' or only for really clever people when it's more like a set of tools you use to do a particular job and any one can learn the skills to use it.
kmfordham
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by inactive100)
Whenever I ask a group of people which subject they hate the most or find the hardest, about 80-90% of them will name maths (and then the second highest would be physics)

I was just wondering why people find it so difficult / so hard?

I personally enjoy maths and hate subjects like English because it's so wishy-washy (by that I mean maths is usually just right or wrong and it's very logical).

I get that some people just have their dislikes but the dislike of maths seems to be so much more prevalent than other subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally, for me it’s the fact that there is only one answer and you have to get it right. maths doesn’t stay in my head for long enough and the questions are worded so difficultly too
gcsemusicsucks
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Bad experiences, maths being labelled a 'core subject', uninspirational teaching, many factors tbh
Neverspark7776
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not a massive fan of maths but since I've had difficulty with other subjects, making it look comparatively easy (spanish, cough cough - I'm hopeless at languages, always have and will be) and I have a relatively good head for it I find I can cope while understanding that if you don't get all of the theory first time it can make life hell in some of the course areas
Divine Feminine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
One of the reason could be that mathematics is teached badly at school
The past tense of teach is taught, not teached, my sweet German friend.
Saamady
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There’s a Ted-Ed on this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7snnRaC4t5c
Ridinghigh95
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Iahmed512)
Yeah I agree, people relying on teachers that aren't or even are good at maths usually won't do well in it, I started improving in maths and went from 5s to 8s because I started doing loads at home, and I started finding that the way it was taught at school was just slow, however some people might still might not become good at it and enjoy it revising loads.
May I ask what did u do at home to help you? I’ve had 12 years away from school. Hoping to study biology this year but need to pass my maths. I made a mess of second paper. I’ve come on loads since last year but I’m only just at grace 5. I watch videos but I’m trying to find ways to improve. When I see the paper I get so confused what I’m being asked . any help would be appreciated.
haya.nasser
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
because i copy the numbers wrong on the calculator
biochemmathecon
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by inactive100)
Whenever I ask a group of people which subject they hate the most or find the hardest, about 80-90% of them will name maths (and then the second highest would be physics)

I was just wondering why people find it so difficult / so hard?

I personally enjoy maths and hate subjects like English because it's so wishy-washy (by that I mean maths is usually just right or wrong and it's very logical).

I get that some people just have their dislikes but the dislike of maths seems to be so much more prevalent than other subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personally, I believe math is enjoyable through practice. the hardest thing about this is getting yourself to practice, not math itself.
I think some people aren't motivated to do a bunch of math questions if they get 'freaked' out by a problem at first, the ones who put in the effort to correct their errors and push themselves to do more, enjoy it.
I would consider myself relatively 'bad' at math despite taking it for ALevels but I'm sure most people can relate to that feeling when you finally get a topic and you actually enjoy it because you know it - I just don't think everyone bothers to practice every aspect of it (not a bad thing at all)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9.57%
No I am happy with my course choice (455)
58.86%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.84%

Watched Threads