The Student Room Group

Starting new job tomorrow. Mixed feelings

Hi,

So after months of being unemployed and living as well a "recent graduate living at parents home and do errands for them" - I finally got a temporary job offer over a month ago. This job was through an agency and was only for a fixed-term assignment schedule. I am happy that it is only for 8 months - as if I am not happy in that time period I can apply elsewhere and after the 8 months work elsewhere.

I have worked before for an large organisation - so I at least have some experience of walking new into a new environment. The thing is when I was unemployed for the last 4-5 months I really wanted to go to work so so badly as a lot of my old university peers were working and well eventually I needed money to live too no. Now that the reality has hit that I have to start working I am starting to feel a little uncomfortable and not as confident as say back in September 2016 - when I was literally ready to work anywhere. Hell I was so confident that I could walk down a rough patch of London with £20000 in my pocket!

All this aside, is it normal to have mixed feelings. What do you advice me on doing over the next couple of weeks?
Reply 1
Definitely normal, I am so thrilled for you! I must be so exciting and fun, try not to be nervous and make sure you do a lot of networking with y our new co-workers, you may need them one day.

Good Luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Locyce
Definitely normal, I am so thrilled for you! I must be so exciting and fun, try not to be nervous and make sure you do a lot of networking with y our new co-workers, you may need them one day.

Good Luck :smile:

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement.

Yeah I am surprised to have even taken up a job offer like this as I never expected myself working at a large group in a business sector. Sure, it may not directly be related to my studies - but I learnt from my previous work experience and hope to make a lot of friends and co-workers. Literally add them on LinkedIn etc
Reply 3
what course did you do at university?
Reply 4
Original post by Shado123
what course did you do at university?

Computing - was very technical to an extent but I took some business modules.
Reply 5
Original post by yunglife
Computing - was very technical to an extent but I took some business modules.

decent course, you not found anything relating to computing yet? would think its a field in demand
Reply 6
decent course, you not found anything relating to computing yet? would think its a field in demand

Yeah you have to apply for suitable graduate roles in this field early. Unfortunately I left it all too late and when it came to September a lot of small start-ups were advertising for graduate development roles. I hate start-ups so bad and never really want to work for one - I have my reasons of course. I wanted to work somewhere big and well I had a good opportunity come my way in November via LinkedIn. Unfortunately that workplace was very far away - would take me just under 2 hours to get there! Would also cost a lot of money to commute and a lot of trains - but also they said that I had to be away from home like every month. My family need me in this moment in time at home and I have younger siblings sitting final exams such as A-Levels - so they need me to help them.

I took this opportunity as it was closer to home and was with a very large company for a fixed term - which I prefer as it gives me a chance to see if they are right for me and if not - well at least it was a fixed term. Prospective employers can't say much either but I am hoping to apply for software engineering grad roles soon
Reply 7
Original post by yunglife
Yeah you have to apply for suitable graduate roles in this field early. Unfortunately I left it all too late and when it came to September a lot of small start-ups were advertising for graduate development roles. I hate start-ups so bad and never really want to work for one - I have my reasons of course. I wanted to work somewhere big and well I had a good opportunity come my way in November via LinkedIn. Unfortunately that workplace was very far away - would take me just under 2 hours to get there! Would also cost a lot of money to commute and a lot of trains - but also they said that I had to be away from home like every month. My family need me in this moment in time at home and I have younger siblings sitting final exams such as A-Levels - so they need me to help them.

I took this opportunity as it was closer to home and was with a very large company for a fixed term - which I prefer as it gives me a chance to see if they are right for me and if not - well at least it was a fixed term. Prospective employers can't say much either but I am hoping to apply for software engineering grad roles soon

Ahh i get you
ayy family always comes first, you thought about doing some driving lessons, passing your driving test would help you widen your job search massively.
Reply 8
Ahh i get you
ayy family always comes first, you thought about doing some driving lessons, passing your driving test would help you widen your job search massively.

??????? I think you are confusing me for someone else mate! I never mentioned anywhere about taking driving lessons and passing the test to widen my job search. In fact mate, I already have my car license, 3 years since I got it 😀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending