Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hilter was Austrian not German Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm Austrian and I have to say Hitler was not Austrian. He has Austrian blood but he changed his Nationality to German because he lived in Germany for long. If he was Austrian he could not have been Chancellor for Germany. Also, he fought for the German Army not for the Austrian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    There is almost no difference between Austrians and Bavarians (Bavaria is a part of Germany).

If it weren't for Prussia's actions, Austria might well have been unified into the German state. As it is, up until after WWII (when it became convenient for Austria to be seen as the victim of German aggression, rather than a fellow aggressor), Austrians thought of themselves as Germans.

So it really doesn't matter.
    What the hell are you talking about? The culture is so different the only thing common is the dialect but Austria still has a few different words than South Bavarian. In fact Austrian don't like to be called German and Austrians actually make fun of Germans and mock them.

(Original post by adin.23)
      What the hell are you talking about? The culture is so different the only thing common is the dialect but Austria still has a few different words than South Bavarian. In fact Austrian don't like to be called German and Austrians actually make fun of Germans and mock them.
      Yes, and people from one town in England will mock people from their neighbouring town, even though they are almost indistinguishable to outsiders. Similarly, of course a Bavarian would notice differences between himself and an Austrian, but those differences are so minute that they are not noticeable to outsiders. Certainly Bavaria is much more similar to Austria than to the northern states.

Austrians don't like to be called German only since WWII, it is an easy way to transfer the guilt over Hitler, e.g. pretending the Austrians didn't welcome Anschluss.

Edit: lmao, you just did it yourself

I'm Austrian and I have to say Hitler was not Austrian. He has Austrian blood but he changed his Nationality to German because he lived in Germany for long. If he was Austrian he could not have been Chancellor for Germany. Also, he fought for the German Army not for the Austrian.

ReputationRep:
      Yes, and people from one town in England will mock people from their neighbouring town, even though they are almost indistinguishable to outsiders. Similarly, of course a Bavarian would notice differences between himself and an Austrian, but those differences are so minute that they are not noticeable to outsiders. Certainly Bavaria is much more similar to Austria than to the northern states.

Austrians don't like to be called German only since WWII, it is an easy way to transfer the guilt over Hitler, e.g. pretending the Austrians didn't welcome Anschluss.

Edit: lmao, you just did it yourself
      "Indistinguishable" lol what? Austria is a different Country and Bavaria is part of Germany. "Transfer guilt over Hitler" that's not true many Austrians laugh at Hitler and don't care about what Hitler did.

ReputationRep:
      Are you 12?

"Indistinguishable" lol what? Austria is a different Country and Bavaria is part of Germany.
        Okay, perhaps there is a distinction, because I thought Germans were smart.

"Transfer guilt over Hitler" that's not true many Austrians laugh at Hitler and don't care about what Hitler did.
        While the non-Austrian Germans whip themselves relentlessly. Perhaps you would also be whipping yourself, if you hadn't cast the blame onto the non-Austrian Germans.

ReputationRep:
        Okay, perhaps there is a distinction, because I thought Germans were smart.

While the non-Austrian Germans whip themselves relentlessly. Perhaps you would also be whipping yourself, if you hadn't cast the blame onto the non-Austrian Germans.
        I didn't blame "non-Austrian Germans"

ReputationRep:
        He was still a crazy, evil *******.
        • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
        He was Austrian by ethnicity and German by nationality.

/thread

(Original post by Onde)
          Austria was forbidden by the Soviet Union from becoming part of projects such as NATO and the EU that involved Germany, and from ever uniting with Germany again. Austria has its own identity, but perhaps at the same time also having a German identity.
          Austria is like the Bavaria that got away.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by NickLCFC)
          cool I never actually new Hitler was Australian
          Haha. U get a rep for that. Brilliant!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.