Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Choosing a driving instructor your parents don't like... Watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I hope you're all doing well!

I chose a driving instructor online, and I didn't know my parents had others in mind. I mean, there were good reviews, all 5 stars. I initially did not want to start learning to drive and was completely put off by the idea until later in life.

My parents and relatives always pressurise me to do it. So I decided to chose someone myself and do it. I chose them and booked one lesson. My parents now says they had others in mind. Also, this person I chose does 2 hours but it is around £27.

I mean it is quite expensive, isn't it?

I don't know what to do, it really is making me doubt my choices, they are mocking me for choosing someone that charges that much. I was very excited and confident before but now I am very nervous and upset.

My parents always chose what tuition I took, but I always (I mean always) thought it was a waste that's why I decided to step up and chose someone myself.

It is tomorrow...they said to tell whoever it is that I will think about block bookings later.

What do you all think, do you have any experience like this or any experience of chosing a driving instructor like this?
    What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheerupgrrl5:))

I chose a driving instructor online, and I didn't know my parents had others in mind. I mean, there were good reviews, all 5 stars. I initially did not want to start learning to drive and was completely put off by the idea until later in life.

My parents and relatives always pressurise me to do it. So I decided to chose someone myself and do it. I chose them and booked one lesson. My parents now says they had others in mind. Also, this person I chose does 2 hours but it is around £27.

I don't know what to do, it really is making me doubt my choices, they are mocking me for choosing someone that charges that much. I was very excited and confident before but now I am very nervous and upset.

My parents always chose what tuition I took, but I always (I mean always) thought it was a waste that's why I decided to step up and chose someone myself.

It is tomorrow...they said to tell whoever it is that I will think about block bookings.

What do you all think, do you have any experience like this or any experience of chosing a driving instructor like this?
    What should I do?
    £27 is expensive, but that may be because they're really good.

See whether you get along with the instructor in your lesson before you pay for block bookings

ReputationRep:
    If you're paying, why should what they say matter?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    £27 is expensive, but that may be because they're really good.

See whether you get along with the instructor in your lesson before you pay for block bookings
    True but how can I tell from the first lesson if they're good or not?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarysJSLewis)
    If you're paying, why should what they say matter?
    I know, but it really lowers my confidence. I guess you are right but I am afraid and scared that they may be right about my choice, I don't want to waste it

ReputationRep:
    I know, but it really lowers my confidence. I guess you are right but I am afraid and scared that they may be right about my choice, I don't want to waste it
    You won't know until you've given it a go. Who cares if they were right, you're being independent, and that's a good thing
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    You won't know until you've given it a go. Who cares if they were right, you're being independent, and that's a good thing
    Thanks so much for the positivity,I feel so bad right now. Like I am doing something wrong I shouldn't be doing in the first place.

How will I know after just one lesson they are worth that amount? Do u agree as the other replied that it is expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for the positivity,I feel so bad right now. Like I am doing something wrong I shouldn't be doing in the first place.

How will I know after just one lesson they are worth that amount? Do u agree as the other replied that it is expensive.
    I wouldn't judge the price before you have a lesson. It could turn out to be worth every penny
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't judge the price before you have a lesson. It could turn out to be worth every penny
    Yes of course,but I have nothing to compare too or wat to look for in a first lesson to driving. Do u know?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't advice block bookings at all really especially not for the first few lessons.
    On your first lesson, she/he will be very great but it can change in next few lessons.
    Generally speaking, people find driving instructors through word of mouth (at least where I'm from) The approx charge for one hour is £23.
    On your first lesson, your driving instructor will ask you to read a number plate from a distance. Then will explain somethings to you and then let you drive a bit... you may just concentrate on steering or moving on and stopping.

ReputationRep:
    True but how can I tell from the first lesson if they're good or not?
    Well you'll be able to tell if you get along well enough for you to continue with them. Whether they're late to pick you up aswell as whether they spend the whole hour talking or not letting you sit In the drivers seat

ReputationRep:
    Yes of course,but I have nothing to compare too or wat to look for in a first lesson to driving. Do u know?
    Your first lesson will consist of showing your instructor your provisional first. Then he/she will drive you to a quiet road and will explain the basic controls of the car. once you've understood that, he will usually show you how to move off and stop safely. He may do this by verbally explaining it or showing you a visual. Then you'll switch seats and you'll try and practice it. You'll do it a few times. If you pick it up fast, he may start teaching you left turns. Hour is usually almost up by then so you'll switch seats and he will drive you back home. Once youre there, he'll probably ask what you want to do in terms of future lessons. If you like him/her, you could go for block lessons. If you're still unsure, ask for a 1 or 2 hour lesson the following week

ReputationRep:
    Not that expensive really if you factor in that you get 2 hours when most people only do 1 hour. So £27 for 2 hours meaning it's £13.50 per hour. Not too bad considering where I come from, driving lessons are at least £17 per HOUR.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Your first lesson will consist of showing your instructor your provisional first. Then he/she will drive you to a quiet road and will explain the basic controls of the car. once you've understood that, he will usually show you how to move off and stop safely. He may do this by verbally explaining it or showing you a visual. Then you'll switch seats and you'll try and practice it. You'll do it a few times. If you pick it up fast, he may start teaching you left turns. Hour is usually almost up by then so you'll switch seats and he will drive you back home. Once youre there, he'll probably ask what you want to do in terms of future lessons. If you like him/her, you could go for block lessons. If you're still unsure, ask for a 1 or 2 hour lesson the following week
    Thank you! But I still have to tell them that I have to come back to them and discuss with my parents first even if I like them;/
    I have completely lost interest in driving now, I just wanted to chose someone I liked but I guess that didn't work out.
    I was actually quite excited before hahahaha

I think I'm just going to give in and do the one they like, I cant live with the mocking every time I go driving because both my parents drive as well so they will always say they know whats best.
    Feel a bit stupid for even choosing someone, my decision seems so stupid now.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    are you getting charged £27 for 2 hours?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure I paid about £250 per 10 hours (and that had a little lump booking discount I think), so the price sounds about right to me...

In terms of the instructor, I don't get about choosing someone you 'liked' - the most important thing is to have an instructor which yes you get on with, but also teaches you in a way that you understand... the nicest person who you have fun with, will just be a waste of money if they can't teach you very well...

And in terms of the instructor your parents like - do a lesson with them, but if you don't get on with them and you don't feel you'll learn as effectively because of that, tell your parents... you're the one learning to drive, and it'll just be a waste of money.
    And yeh, when everyone learns to drive and goes out with their parents, you're always going to get them saying things about your driving... to not learn because of that, is imo, pathetic... you're going to have to learn, and unless you spend a fortune on lessons and not practicing, you're going to have to go out and practice with someone other than your instructor, especially if you want to do it in a reasonable time. And I don't know how old you are, but don't put it off for ages, because the more you do, the less likely you'll want to do it...

ReputationRep:

It really depends where you're from! In my area I paid £26 I think! This was several years ago too so has probably increased!

ReputationRep:
    Have a trial lesson or two to see how it works out. If you're learning, stick with them
    My instructor recommended doing two hour lessons because any more is too tiring and any less doesn't let you get into it properly (especially if you're not driving much between lessons, which you probably shouldn't be as a beginner).

Also, I was paying £30 an hour, which I know is above the normal rate but is still a lot more expensive than yours, so it's probably not too much money for a good lesson

ReputationRep:

It is tomorrow...they said to tell whoever it is that I will think about block bookings later.

What should I do?
    £27 for 2 hours is really cheap i pay £25 for 1 hour
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for replying.
    I came back at 1pm.

It was good, I drove around some areas and then I told my parents that they have a high rate of first passes and they seem pretty structured and well knowledged in the practical.

My parents said it was a waste of money and I don't know what to do now.
    If I don't do what they like, this is what they are like.
    I felt very comfortable with this teacher and I think its the cost which is the issue.

I just cant deal with all this rubbish about the teacher every single time I go. I seriously am just gonna give in
    Maybe if they were cheaper it would've been different:/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.