Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My son is studying a HND in Health and Social Care at college. He finishes in June. He didn't apply to uni along with everyone else at college months ago as he wasn't sure what he wanted to do back then. The HND is only equal to the first year of a degree. The college are teaching a different form of it that doesn't contain enough modules for it to be worth two years of study. He has applied for Direct Entry into Year 2 to Man Met, Liverpool Hope, Liverpool John Moores, London Met and Ulster [we live in Northern Ireland]. Sent off the UCAS form tonight, with an attached email to every uni department where they teach H+SC asking for his application to year two entry to be considered. He HAS to go into the second year, as two years of his funding have already been used up with the HND. Liverpool John Moores said they need details of the transcript, programme specification, modules studied so far and grades, modules yet to study, and Learning Outcomes. One uni he contacted ages ago said he had to send in all of this at least six weeks before he sends in his application. Man Met said he didn't need to send any additional info. But he has emailed and sent all the info to all unis anyway, just in case. I'm worried every uni is going to reject him for leaving it so late in sending them the details of the HND he studied. Do you think he is heading for five rejections, with them all telling him to reapply next year and to send the additional info in plenty of time?
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    My son is studying a HND in Health and Social Care at college. He finishes in June. He didn't apply to uni along with everyone else at college months ago as he wasn't sure what he wanted to do back then. The HND is only equal to the first year of a degree. The college are teaching a different form of it that doesn't contain enough modules for it to be worth two years of study. He has applied for Direct Entry into Year 2 to Man Met, Liverpool Hope, Liverpool John Moores, London Met and Ulster [we live in Northern Ireland]. Sent off the UCAS form tonight, with an attached email to every uni department where they teach H+SC asking for his application to year two entry to be considered. He HAS to go into the second year, as two years of his funding have already been used up with the HND. Liverpool John Moores said they need details of the transcript, programme specification, modules studied so far and grades, modules yet to study, and Learning Outcomes. One uni he contacted ages ago said he had to send in all of this at least six weeks before he sends in his application. Man Met said he didn't need to send any additional info. But he has emailed and sent all the info to all unis anyway, just in case. I'm worried every uni is going to reject him for leaving it so late in sending them the details of the HND he studied. Do you think he is heading for five rejections, with them all telling him to reapply next year and to send the additional info in plenty of time?
    It is impossible to say for sure as I am not privy to their internal discussions, nor am I aware of their particular admissions strategies. However, I find it hard to believe that all five of these universities will be sufficiently oversubscribed for your son's application to be disregarded. They are financially incentivised to facilitate his attendance if it is at all practical. If ManMet were happy with the information they had I think you can take that at face value. You've absolutely done the right thing by proactively sending them module descriptions, transcripts and the like, so no matter the case you've done all you can at this point.

My instincts tell me that - assuming he has not been scraping passes, or has a very flat reference - he will receive at least one offer. Probably several. But I'm afraid it is impossible to say with any certainty. If he does have to take a year out, I would view that as a very good opportunity for him to spend some time working as a support worker or similar. Even if that's not the specific career he wants, it will be valuable experience.

Best of luck!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    As long as he got his UCAS application in before the deadline, they have to give him equal consideration. This means they can't just reject him without looking at the application. So no, he won't get straight rejections just because things were "late". I'd be very surprised if the information about sending details 6 weeks before applying is correct, as that's not something I've ever heard - and without a UCAS appplication they wouldn't be able to do anything with that information anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I know for Ulster he need 2 Distinctions 2 Merits and 4 Passes as his final grades, so it's hardly earth shatteringly difficult. Plus because he's doing BTEC and his last course was, OI think he has written a really strong personal statement, describing working on placement with alcoholics and drug addicts for a few weeks, then working in a Nursery with 3 and 4 year olds, and now has worked over 200 hours on placement inn a primary school. So his work experience is I think pretty strong, considering he isn't even 20 until next month. I'm just scared they are all going to say he should have given all the details of the HND well in advance to be considered.

ReputationRep:
    As long as the information was provided before the 18:00 deadline it can't be considered late so it is technically in 'advance' of the final deadline for late applications which is in June, regardless if they do want more information they can still request it through UCAS or as for an interview.

Good luck, and don't worry too much about something which is now out of your control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    As long as he got his UCAS application in before the deadline, they have to give him equal consideration. This means they can't just reject him without looking at the application. So no, he won't get straight rejections just because things were "late". I'd be very surprised if the information about sending details 6 weeks before applying is correct, as that's not something I've ever heard - and without a UCAS appplication they wouldn't be able to do anything with that information anyway.
    Just looked through the old emails again and it was University College Birmingham who asked for all the info as far in advance as possible; at least six weeks in advance of applying. Then they sent several follow up emails where they continued asking for the details; at which point he replied to the guy saying thank you, but he was no longer interested in applying there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.