Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I just quit uni, wtf have I done... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know I need counselling and I keep making appointments to go but then I have terrible low self-esteem so I cancel the appointments because I think I'm wasting someone's time by talking to them about my problems
    You're not, that's the simple fact. You don't know you're wasting their time until you've been in any circumstance.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. I think it was a combination of being away from my hometown and not being able to make friends in the new place, doing a really hard BSc which I don't think played to my 'strengths', and having really terrible anxiety.
    I've suspended from uni to take the rest of the year off to sort my head out. I've actually just applied to universities nearer my hometown where I have existing friends, etc and it's a BA in a similar subject but I think I will find it easier to achieve on this course. Thank you so much for your kind words, I actually feel a lot better already.
    I understand that completely -- it can be quite daunting for some in such a contrasting environment to what they are used to to feel happy and enjoy university fully. When I left Kent, I was miserable at home and felt the same way. But, a few weeks later I knew what I really wanted and started again, with a positive mind (that you are not a failure, but simply things was not meant to be etc). You have taken all the right steps and you can use this year to not only figure out what you want, but also to try and become more confident/independent, and look forward to going back to uni with a steady mind and friends nearby.

Pleasure! I wish you the best of luck with your new application, hope all goes well for you.

ReputationRep:
    You did what I did, escape to the ends of the earth by selecting unis far from home then thinking WTF. I never went back to uni, started bits of jobs never really happy, then started in finance, loved the job until the crash, we became a rip off company like most financial companies were, I left. 10 years later I am at uni again, due to graduate this year and it has been a great 3 years of my life, sometimes its hard to see what is coming and just believe all is lost. I really feel for you, because I know those exact emotions of hopelessness and lack of belief, you will come good, it hurt me also. Please don't brush this post off, I swear if you go back or pick a job, just for now, you will bounce back as a person. I have no doubt your life will be great and you will see a future once again with hope and opportunity. It took me a long time, but I swear there is a future you can really enjoy, just hang in there. Lots of love and hope, Paul.

ReputationRep:
    I know I need counselling and I keep making appointments to go but then I have terrible low self-esteem so I cancel the appointments because I think I'm wasting someone's time by talking to them about my problems
    Taking the rest of the year out to sort out your mental health is definitely the best thing. The start of the journey is realising that there is a problem, which you have definitely done.

I feel that there is a problem in mental health around feeling 'not sick enough' to see someone. I have GAD, and I didn't think it was particularly bad at all. I went to see a doctor about a medical condition which turned out to be related, and he referred me to a psychologist. I did a few sessions of CBT and it has genuinely turned my life around.

No-one will feel as though you are wasting their time. If you come from a difficult household and are struggling to live your life in a 'normal' manner, it won't hurt going to see a councillor/psychologist/doctor about your problems. If you go to them and find it isn't useful, at worst you have wasted an hour of your own time.

ReputationRep:
    I suspended because i couldn't handle the work and facing abuse in my life. Now i feel like I have nothing to live for.
    Please don't say this; you have everything to live for. If you're struggling with certain issues in your life right now, such as the abuse you mentioned, I suggest getting these sorted out before starting another course so that you lower the chance of being in your current position for a second time.

Once you have worked through these problems and have come out the other side, I recommend starting a new course, an apprenticeship or a job. (You might even want to get a job now, although I wouldn't go back to university or do an apprenticeship at the moment if I were you.)

I wish you all the best for the future. Feel free to PM me if you wish (but please don't feel any pressure to do so).

Banana
    • Very Important Poster

Thank you. I think it was a combination of being away from my hometown and not being able to make friends in the new place, doing a really hard BSc which I don't think played to my 'strengths', and having really terrible anxiety.
    I've suspended from uni to take the rest of the year off to sort my head out. I've actually just applied to universities nearer my hometown where I have existing friends, etc and it's a BA in a similar subject but I think I will find it easier to achieve on this course. Thank you so much for your kind words, I actually feel a lot better already.

Its not till this post you tell us what you have done. All seems very sensible. You shouldnt resume until you get your head sorted out. No point racking up more debt. There is also no point going back until you know you are confident you can cope. Chill out it was an important call and you made it.

Thank you to everyone who posted kind words and advice last night. I think I was over-tired and panicking but I feel a lot better today.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.