Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi - I've just recieved my ELAT result for Cambridge admissions.

I got 30 yet still got an offer?! Can this be correct (or are they giving marks out of 30 not 60 for Cambridge)

Have people received over 30?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studentinschool)
    Hi - I've just recieved my ELAT result for Cambridge admissions.

I got 30 yet still got an offer?! Can this be correct (or are they giving marks out of 30 not 60 for Cambridge)

Have people received over 30?
    I think Cambridge care less about the ELAT than Oxford. Especially since they've just started using it. Cambridge consistently place emphasis on UMS though, I saw some data a few years ago which showed that applicants with 95% UMS or above had almost a 70% chance of getting an offer ( must have changed now because of A Level reform.

Oxford seem to have placed a larger emphasis on the ELAT. It is weighted at 40% when dividing candidates into bands before interview. For a lot of colleges, over the last few years fhe average of successful applicants is between 48-50. That said, I have seen that for some colleges the average has jumped from 50 to 31 back to 50., whereas the average GCSE of successful applicants is 8.3-8.4 for the majority of colleges and yesrs. I that that while everything is looked at individually, for Oxford GCSEs seem really important and for Cambridge UMS! They can save you from a lower ELAT for sure ! Congratulations on your offer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by User3939)
    I think Cambridge care less about the ELAT than Oxford. Especially since they've just started using it. Cambridge consistently place emphasis on UMS though, I saw some data a few years ago which showed that applicants with 95% UMS or above had almost a 70% chance of getting an offer ( must have changed now because of A Level reform.

Oxford seem to have placed a larger emphasis on the ELAT. It is weighted at 40% when dividing candidates into bands before interview. For a lot of colleges, over the last few years fhe average of successful applicants is between 48-50. That said, I have seen that for some colleges the average has jumped from 50 to 31 back to 50., whereas the average GCSE of successful applicants is 8.3-8.4 for the majority of colleges and yesrs. I that that while everything is looked at individually, for Oxford GCSEs seem really important and for Cambridge UMS! They can save you from a lower ELAT for sure ! Congratulations on your offer!
    Thanks for your reply! I'm even more confused now as, having checked my statement of results, it says "a grade of 0 could b attributable to student not being a University of Oxford applicant" and on the faqs it suggests the results are only for Oxford applicants?! Perhaps it is just out of date formatting and I'm being paranoid.

What have other people received in the ELAT?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen anyone receive over thirty yet. I lost my pin so am waiting to get my results. Not that it matters anymore!

ReputationRep:
    Your mark is given out of 60- so they obviously really valued all the other parts of your application! Well done on your offer!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.