The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Is Glasgow a terrible a horrible city?

Hey, I am a high school senior in San Francisco, CA. My top choice Uni is Glasgow and it seems to be an incredible city/school. My dad, however, tells me that Glasgow is the worst city in the UK (High smoking rate, high level of alcoholism, death rate, no jobs, etc). We have had huge fights on this topic. We both agreed that this thread would determine who is right. PLEASE give me unbiased truth on your perception of the city and school. This is VERY much appreciated!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by lizzylonergan
Hey, I am a high school senior in San Francisco, CA. My top choice Uni is Glasgow and it seems to be an incredible city/school. My dad, however, tells me that Glasgow is the worst city in the UK (High smoking rate, high level of alcoholism, death rate, no jobs, etc). We have had huge fights on this topic. We both agreed that this thread would determine who is right. PLEASE give me unbiased truth on your perception of the city and school. This is VERY much appreciated!!!

Mhm.. I've never been to Glasgow and I don't know much about it. I live in England, but I can't imagine it's that bad there.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
It's a lively place and the people are by and large very friendly. You obviously get your share of idiots like anywhere but it's far from the worst city in the UK.

A lot of people there are unhealthy as ****(they deep fry everything, and I mean everything) but it's up to you if you eat that **** or not. There's plenty of normal food available as well. :smile:

If you like the outdoors the Highlands are close as well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JamesN88
It's a lively place and the people are by and large very friendly. You obviously get your share of idiots like anywhere but it's far from the worst city in the UK.

A lot of people there are unhealthy as ****(they deep fry everything, and I mean everything) but it's up to you if you eat that **** or not. There's plenty of normal food available as well. :smile:

If you like the outdoors the Highlands are close as well.

Glasgow is the largest city in Scotland so as a result it does have its impoverished areas. It also has very affluent areas, some stunning architecture, gorgeous parks, lots of history, plenty of culture, a lively music scene, an evolving foodie scene, and lots to do.

The days of a smog filled industrial city are gone. Yes there is still deep fried food but far far less than a couple of decades ago. You are more likely to stumble into a noodle bar or craft beer hall these days.

Yes you are close to the Highlands, but you are also on the doorstep of the national parks in the central belt, the Campsie Fells, The Borders region and a 20 min train to Edinburgh.

Glasgow is like any large city. Be sensible, don't go into rough areas alone, watch yourself when out at night, realistically I think you are more likely to get into trouble in San Francisco.

Is your dad from Glasgow or had he only seen it in movies? (we Scots seem to like portraying Glasgow in film as grey, dank, poor and rough) And if he is from here, when was the last time he was over, because a lot has changed over the years. I have travelled around Scotland and England and trust me, there are much, much worse places. I am looking to move to Glasgow when I finish my degree.
glasgow uni.jpg don't forget how pretty the uni is.
It's also worth noting that smoking is banned in all fully or partially enclosed public places in the UK so I wouldn't bother letting the smoking rate of anywhere factor into your decision.
Reply 6

Hi there, I live in Glasgow and I am an ethnic minority in the city. I have rarely ever faced any issues in the city at all

Most people in Glasgow are incredibly welcoming and friendly
Obviously as with every city there will be areas which are less safe than others but everything is safe

I've been to many cities across the US and I can say that Glasgow is much much safer than most US Cities

We have good race relations, great relationships with the police

I feel people still view Glasgow like how it was 20-30 years ago where there was a lot of poverty, gangs etc

But the city has been reborn and is completely different

There is a lot of drinking in the city but that's just Scottish/British Culture

Death rate in Glasgow is very low compared to nearly every US city id imagine

But yeah Glasgow is a very nice place to be
I can vouch for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not even close to being the worst city in the UK.
the median height of Glaswegian males is about 5"3', so you will probably tower over them if you are a normal height Californian.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Not even close to being the worst city in the UK.

They should put this on the signs.
Reply 10
I grew up in downtown Chicago and currently live in Denver. I also studied abroad at the University of Glasgow. Glasgow is, hands down, the best city I have ever lived in. It is a little gritty, but it is also really really historic and, I love that stuff. Glasgow is also like Boston in that it has a HUGE student population relative to its overall population. The clubs in that town are completely dope and CHEAP (don't tell that to your dad).
Really? This discussion again?

Your dad is ill informed at best, completely ignorant at worst.
Original post by the bear
the median height of Glaswegian males is about 5"3', so you will probably tower over them if you are a normal height Californian.

More utter nonsense. Show us the figures that suggest 5'3 is the average height of males in Glasgow... You're talking complete rubbish.
Good university. I've been to the city a few times. While I don't like it's architecture as much as I do some other cities, I know a lot of people do. It's a great place to be in terms of access to the Highlands and the rest of Scotland. People really overhype things like crime and the rest. People are just terrified by poor people/people of different class backgrounds. The reality is pretty much never as bad as they make out. I know a lot of people who have studied there or now work in the Uni and they all love it.
Original post by pmc:producer
More utter nonsense. Show us the figures that suggest 5'3 is the average height of males in Glasgow... You're talking complete rubbish.

Away an bile yer heid
Reply 15

The people are friendly but they are uncivilised.
Never been but certainly not the worst city in UK, that I can promise!
No. Its a beautiful city. There's grim parts like Sighthill, Bridgeton and Easterhouse from what I've heard from family near/from those places over the years, but the bad things I think are overrated. "Murder capital of Europe." Far worse places in Scotland...

Far worse. Inverclyde, and Dumbiedykes in Edinburgh for starters. Not hating on them either. Same thing: there's good and bad. I could list all day actually. Theres junkie ports in probably an area someone says is nice as well. That's life.

Glasgow is like any other major city: Stunning amazing parts. Scummy parts. Don't forget why people originally lived in cities: jobs and convenient housing. Particularly low skilled jobs and poor housing. So yes there's some bad parts. But don't let that stop you.

Original post by the bear
Away an bile yer heid

Haha you love to say that. Are you Scottish?
Original post by 0to100
No. Its a beautiful city. There's grim parts like Sighthill, Bridgeton and Easterhouse from what I've heard from family near/from those places over the years, but the bad things I think are overrated. "Murder capital of Europe." Far worse places in Scotland...

Far worse. Inverclyde, and Dumbiedykes in Edinburgh for starters. Not hating on them either. Same thing: there's good and bad. I could list all day actually. Theres junkie ports in probably an area someone says is nice as well. That's life.

Glasgow is like any other major city: Stunning amazing parts. Scummy parts. Don't forget why people originally lived in cities: jobs and convenient housing. Particularly low skilled jobs and poor housing. So yes there's some bad parts. But don't let that stop you.

Haha you love to say that. Are you Scottish?

Sighthill doesn't even exist anymore...

And aye he must be. Edinburgh way no doubt...
Original post by pmc:producer
Sighthill doesn't even exist anymore...

And aye he must be. Edinburgh way no doubt...

I'm just naming places that I've heard are bad in Glasgow, over the years, that have given Glasgow such a bad name, like I said. And the renovation for sighthill is quite recent.

And dunno @the beaɾ is a cheeky fella. We had a Scottish slang face off some time ago. :viking: (he lost though cos I just repeated wat I heard my dad saying growing up :wink:)