The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Maybe, OP , if you DO eventually go to Glasgow, you ought to invite your father over for a week; it will not only change his perception but put his mind at ease as well.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by 0to100
I'm just naming places that I've heard are bad in Glasgow, over the years, that have given Glasgow such a bad name, like I said. And the renovation for sighthill is quite recent.

And dunno @the beaɾ is a cheeky fella. We had a Scottish slang face off some time ago. :viking: (he lost though cos I just repeated wat I heard my dad saying growing up :wink:)

:lol: There's no competition for the auld patter.
Original post by pmc:producer
:lol: There's no competition for the auld patter.

It's the Gaelic blood. You can take our lives but you can never take our freedom lol
It's been voted the friendliest city in the UK before.
The city of Glasgow is big and so has some dodgy areas however places such as the west end where you'll likely be staying are the posh areas with low crime rates.
I for one feel safer in Glasgow than in ANY American city, even the "rough" areas in Glasgow aren't "that" bad. There's no gun violence etc. The police are good here. You really don't have much reason to worry, except understanding the accent! :tongue:
Original post by 0to100
No. Its a beautiful city. There's grim parts like Sighthill, Bridgeton and Easterhouse from what I've heard from family near/from those places over the years, but the bad things I think are overrated. "Murder capital of Europe." Far worse places in Scotland...

Far worse. Inverclyde, and Dumbiedykes in Edinburgh for starters. Not hating on them either. Same thing: there's good and bad. I could list all day actually. Theres junkie ports in probably an area someone says is nice as well. That's life.

Glasgow is like any other major city: Stunning amazing parts. Scummy parts. Don't forget why people originally lived in cities: jobs and convenient housing. Particularly low skilled jobs and poor housing. So yes there's some bad parts. But don't let that stop you.

Haha you love to say that. Are you Scottish?

Yer maw's git balls n yer da' loves it
Original post by JamesN88
It's also worth noting that smoking is banned in all fully or partially enclosed public places in the UK so I wouldn't bother letting the smoking rate of anywhere factor into your decision.

Off point, but another reason to love the UK. :smile:
I live in Glasgow therefore it's amazing
There are worse cities in the UK than Glasgow

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's ****ing great. The West End is lovely, the uni is amazing, they have a nice concert hall and lots of clubs to go to. It's a nice city if you live in the right area.
There are definitely worse places.
Original post by lizzylonergan
Hey, I am a high school senior in San Francisco, CA. My top choice Uni is Glasgow and it seems to be an incredible city/school. My dad, however, tells me that Glasgow is the worst city in the UK (High smoking rate, high level of alcoholism, death rate, no jobs, etc). We have had huge fights on this topic. We both agreed that this thread would determine who is right. PLEASE give me unbiased truth on your perception of the city and school. This is VERY much appreciated!!!

Your dad clearly hasn't visited. Has he been out of the US at all - I often find American people haven't got passports?

Glasgow has its problems, but probably no more than any other city of comparable size nowadays. It's incredibly vibrant and exciting, and much more interesting that Edinburgh IMHO.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RedManc
The people are friendly but they are uncivilised.

Thats true, we spend most of our time bashing each other over the head with clubs and dragging women back to our caves.

Stop talking pish.
Reply 32
Original post by lyra1987
Thats true, we spend most of our time bashing each other over the head with clubs and dragging women back to our caves.

Stop talking pish.

that's what frankie boyle said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IIHRA6TNsk at 7:09
Original post by RedManc
that's what frankie boyle said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IIHRA6TNsk at 7:09

Ah yes, and everything the man has ever said is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Scots have a habit of hyping up the old stereotypes in the media. Scots film tend to be dark and set in rough areas, where life is hard, everyone is on drugs and abuse is rife. (Though I am looking forward to seeing the new Trainspotting). We do the same in books (big market in crime fiction) and our comedians do like to play on the rough and ready archetypes.

But on the whole....Pish.

Frankie himself is heavily political, well read, well educated (hardly uncivilised and he is from Glasgow too).
Original post by lyra1987
Is your dad from Glasgow or had he only seen it in movies? (we Scots seem to like portraying Glasgow in film as grey, dank, poor and rough)

I'm going to admit almost all of my film and written work portrays Glasgow in this light. :tongue:

Glasgow is honestly my favourite place in Scotland. It's a fantastic city to live in (the first one I moved to alone at 18 - and I lived adjacent to some so-called "rough areas" in the south side) and I really wish I could afford to move back there. :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by lizzylonergan
Hey, I am a high school senior in San Francisco, CA. My top choice Uni is Glasgow and it seems to be an incredible city/school. My dad, however, tells me that Glasgow is the worst city in the UK (High smoking rate, high level of alcoholism, death rate, no jobs, etc). We have had huge fights on this topic. We both agreed that this thread would determine who is right. PLEASE give me unbiased truth on your perception of the city and school. This is VERY much appreciated!!!

I was born in Glasgow. The city itself is beautiful and we are some of the friendliest people you will ever meet. You would not be unwelcome here. Of course, as with everywhere there are places in the suburbs sometimes that are not as nice as the city centre. This should not put you off. Most places you will go in the world you will probably not experience the more deprived areas but they are there.
Of course Glasgow has deprived areas in some places but the good outweigh the bad and it is a beautiful, warming city I am happy to be a part of. (I think we were voted friendliest city last year)

Ps I love to holiday but I am so glad to get home and I can't imagine myself ever leaving this wonderful city.

L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Went to Glasgow a few weeks ago to do a bit of photography. Beautiful place, people are so welcoming. Such a nice place to be. I stayed in the west end by the uni. Now I want to move there hehe :-) hope that helps.
Hi - hope you don't mind me butting in here. I must confess I am slightly biased as I am a former student of Glasgow University and I had an amazing time here, moving from far away was a big culture shock but one that was an amazing opportunity. Of course Glasgow is a big city like any other that requires you to be savvy and streetwise but you'd be hard pushed to find a friendlier city in Scotland.

If safety at university is a worry, as it naturally is for some students, a small student accommodation building can be a good way to combat this. I work at Bridge House, a 128 bed student accommodation site managed by Fresh Student Living. A mixture of studios and 6 bed flats, we are only 10 minutes walk away from campus and with staff on-site and staff available 24/7 it's a great home away from home if any of you are worried about living on your own in a strange city for the first time. At Fresh and at Bridge House we really go out of our way to get to know our residents and make them feel welcome and part of a community, helping them get to know and love Glasgow.

If this sounds like something that appeals, why not look at our website: http://freshstudentliving.co.uk/property/bridge-house/

Lilith
Bridge House Senior Customer Service Assistant
I was born in and have lived in Glasgow for 22 years. I've been here for my entire University life. I would wholeheartedly recommend it. This is an amazing city which - if you're sensible, responsible and mature enough - can lend itself towards an incredible University experience.

The honest truth is that there are some issues within the city, but those aren't typically confined to the area in which the University of Glasgow is situated. The west end is vibrant, easy going and really quite safe. Personally I think this place get's an unfair amount of criticism on the basis of sectarianism, drugs, alcohol etc. These are all things which were much more closely related to the 1990s. The city's changed a lot since then, for the better. Plus, anywhere you go there's going to be bad people. Glasgow is no different. You very quickly learn how to avoid them.

My only word of warning would be don't be an idiot. It'll apply equally to wherever you go but there are just certain things you shouldn't let yourself do here. For instance - don't walk home late at night if you're on your own, especially if you've had a few beers.

The best way to see for yourself is to visit Glasgow, if you haven't already. The university is lovely and the surrounding area is very student friendly.
Glasgow is a beautiful city which owes a lot to its wealthy heritage. It did have a period of being deprived post war till around the 80s when significant investment was poured into it. Death rates/smoking/drinking etc are largely the same as any other large city in the UK.

There are still pockets of 'deprivation' around the city but all in all it's largely gentrified. Glasgow is known for it's cultural and political impact in the arts and its population reflects this.

:innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: things happen in Glasgow, but given that it's the largest city in Scotland that is par for the course. Definitely not representative.

Come for a visit. Bring your Dad :tongue:

Latest