Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I will try to sum this up. My dillemma is simply the fact that I was offered a place to study Business Management at BPP University Business School starting now in January but I am now worried because I've done quite a lot of research and it seems BPP is not well known at all, only for Law it seems to have a good reputation. I always wanted to study in top universities but unfortunately my A-levels grades were poor (when I made the decision to make the transition from portuguese education to the A-levels it was at year 11 already so it was overwhelming for me at the beginning, I believe at the time my english was not very mature and I had to work more than anyone else to catch up. Nonetheless I managed to get a C in Business Studies and English Language) and I chose to do the BPP foundation degree in Business because it seemed the best alternative route considering it was only 12 weeks long and they have several intakes throughout the year for their courses. I am constantly thinking I could be in something much better but I am now stuck in my poor A-level past. I have been searching a lot of universities that would accept me as a transfer student. Because thestudentroom seems to be full of knowledgeable people in these kind of things I came here to chase some great advice that I could never even think of. Does anyone know anything about BPP University in their business courses quality? I purely don't want to spend 3 years or 2 years (you can accelerate your degree there) and spend thousands of pounds and in the end come to the conclusion it was all a waste and I could have used my energy, motivation and money pursuing a degree in a better institution that could proportionate a much better career. Does anyone know of universities that would consider and what I could do on my own to improve my chances to be accepted by a great university? All I have is a foundation degree done and I got Merit as final grade.
    I know it could be always just me overthinking to much and after but I dream big and I dont know if BPP would give me that edge on my career. Besides, if it matters, I am 21 (I feel old to keep wasting time) and Portuguese.

ReputationRep:
    The StudentRoom does not have great advice about university reputation. Rather it has a great number of 18 year olds that do not know anything about the world of work stressing about how relevant university prestige is. In reality, unless you are pursuing particular careers within particular companies, where you studied does not matter to employers at all. I do not believe that a business management role falls into the category of an employer being swayed by university prestige.

Now that you have a university place it is more important for you to improve upon your ALevel performance. Demonstrate that now you have tackled the language your effort and ability can shine through with consistently great results from here onwards.

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate your response however if the university name didnt matter following your logic everyone would be satisficed studying in low rank unis... I just think it cannot be denied that the better university you get your degree from the greater the chances of a more prosperous career. Regardless, I will do my best and see how it goes, I was just asking if for some reason I had to transfer what universities would accept me considering my A-levels are weak. perhaps transferring credits or try to use my foundation degree as qualification?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claudiorafael)
    I appreciate your response however if the university name didnt matter following your logic everyone would be satisficed studying in low rank unis... I just think it cannot be denied that the better university you get your degree from the greater the chances of a more prosperous career.
    You've got a point there, however, I don't think university ranking really matters that much. I mean sure, It's gonna be easier to get a job job once you're out of Oxbridge than, let's say, Essex, but in a few years of working for a company, your experience, motivation and the company you work for will be the major factor in advancing in your chosen career path, rather than the degree you got when you were in your early 20's. Better yet, I wouldn't be surprised if a person, who got 1st class hons from Essex were just as desirable as the one who got lower 2nd class hons in one of the top 10 unis.
    I'd say just go with the flow, do your best in any uni and an adequate career will follow if you have the drive to pursue it ^.^

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate your response however if the university name didnt matter following your logic everyone would be satisficed studying in low rank unis... I just think it cannot be denied that the better university you get your degree from the greater the chances of a more prosperous career. Regardless, I will do my best and see how it goes, I was just asking if for some reason I had to transfer what universities would accept me considering my A-levels are weak. perhaps transferring credits or try to use my foundation degree as qualification?
    Having worked in roles which included graduate recruitment before I started my new career, perhaps I can reassure you. For most subjects - certainly business-based courses - the vast majority of employers will have no knowledge of, or interest in, the "prestige" of your university. You might make an impact it you're at one of the top three for your subject, but not beyond that. What your degree will prove is that you are competent, reliable and can deliver results.

You could look at a transfer, but don't get your hopes up unless your Foundation results were stellar. Universities aren't stupid and they can spot someone who wasn't "good enough" first time round, trying to circumvent their A Level entry path. Also, I'd say that unless you are transferring to a top uni in your subject, the process is probably just a pointless distraction from the work you should be doing right now.

With my exprience of graduate recruitment, my advice would be to completely ace the course you're currently on. If you think you're capable of doing well at a "better" uni, you could really stand out from your cohort where you are. Take every opportunity you get for industry placements, work experience etc. Build a CV which is professional as well as academic. Stop distracting yourself with daydreams of an illusory prestige factor and get on with your current job. There are no shortcuts to a successful career. Work hard now and you'll have exactly the background you need.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I will do my best!

ReputationRep:
    No one will Care. In 2016 its all about you. There's no such thing as a reputation by assosciation to a body that has already established. How would the world keep improving If we lived In The last century! You're smore likely to be hailed as having a better reputation by getting good work no Matter where You go. People accumulate at well known places but everyone could easily go else where corcumstances changing. There's no where to hide for any organisation or person its all fair these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CCC75)
    The StudentRoom does not have great advice about university reputation. Rather it has a great number of 18 year olds that do not know anything about the world of work stressing about how relevant university prestige is. In reality, unless you are pursuing particular careers within particular companies, where you studied does not matter to employers at all. I do not believe that a business management role falls into the category of an employer being swayed by university prestige.

Now that you have a university place it is more important for you to improve upon your ALevel performance. Demonstrate that now you have tackled the language your effort and ability can shine through with consistently great results from here onwards.
    In fact TSR has a great number of people experienced in University courses and admissions, and representatives from all main universities on hand to answer questions.

Hello everyone, I will try to sum this up. My dillemma is simply the fact that I was offered a place to study Business Management at BPP University Business School starting now in January but I am now worried because I've done quite a lot of research and it seems BPP is not well known at all, only for Law it seems to have a good reputation. I always wanted to study in top universities but unfortunately my A-levels grades were poor (when I made the decision to make the transition from portuguese education to the A-levels it was at year 11 already so it was overwhelming for me at the beginning, I believe at the time my english was not very mature and I had to work more than anyone else to catch up. Nonetheless I managed to get a C in Business Studies and English Language) and I chose to do the BPP foundation degree in Business because it seemed the best alternative route considering it was only 12 weeks long and they have several intakes throughout the year for their courses. I am constantly thinking I could be in something much better but I am now stuck in my poor A-level past. I have been searching a lot of universities that would accept me as a transfer student. Because thestudentroom seems to be full of knowledgeable people in these kind of things I came here to chase some great advice that I could never even think of. Does anyone know anything about BPP University in their business courses quality? I purely don't want to spend 3 years or 2 years (you can accelerate your degree there) and spend thousands of pounds and in the end come to the conclusion it was all a waste and I could have used my energy, motivation and money pursuing a degree in a better institution that could proportionate a much better career. Does anyone know of universities that would consider and what I could do on my own to improve my chances to be accepted by a great university? All I have is a foundation degree done and I got Merit as final grade. I know it could be always just me overthinking to much and after but I dream big and I dont know if BPP would give me that edge on my career. Besides, if it matters, I am 21 (I feel old to keep wasting time) and Portuguese.
    Rather than fretting about tables and so forth, how does this university fit with your aspirations, needs and expectations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    In fact TSR has a great number of people experienced in University courses and admissions, and representatives from all main universities on hand to answer questions.
    To be fair, the speed of response to such queries from the great number of people experienced in university courses compared to that of the inexperienced youngsters is crucial in this perception.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.