Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by max0matosis)
    Were you allocated in this application cycle or a past one, and if the latter I'm curious as to why you didn't end up going? But if you it's this one, ignore that question. I would agree, it being the oldest struck a chord with me as I prefer older architecture and all of that.
    Current cycle I must say I share a lot of your thoughts. I too started looking at all the other mature colleges and also thought that maybe St Edmund's would be nice. All the people online insisting Wolfson was the best mature college (on this forum, Quora etc.) made me feel very doubtful about my own college too, and I took a look at pictures of the college and found I wasn't very attracted to it (on the basis of aesthetics alone).

If I end up going to Hughes in October, one of the first things I really want to do is try and write a comprehensive and balanced account of my experience there. =p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infested)
    Current cycle I must say I share a lot of your thoughts. I too started looking at all the other mature colleges and also thought that maybe St Edmund's would be nice. All the people online insisting Wolfson was the best mature college (on this forum, Quora etc.) made me feel very doubtful about my own college too, and I took a look at pictures of the college and found I wasn't very attracted to it (on the basis of aesthetics alone).

If I end up going to Hughes in October, one of the first things I really want to do is try and write a comprehensive and balanced account of my experience there. =p
    Would you mind my asking which college you originally applied to? And hey, if we both end up at Hughes then that would be slightly comforting. I think it's only reasonable to have doubts/concerns. From my research, Hughes and Edmunds are pretty similar in terms of aesthetic and reputation. I think Edmunds has a little more of a religious/traditional vibe from what I can see, and they seem a little more strict with entrance requirements than Hughes in terms of browsing their sites (they require a lot of additional material to be submitted). I've decided to just leave my application as it is, and fate will decide since there's a pool for mature applications too.

It's funny because yes, as much as people keep saying Wolfson is best (I suspect these are people who went there), it really doesn't appeal aesthetically like you said and their video put me off. Haha. But anyway, I guess we'll see. What course have you applied for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infested)

Oh whoops you said you did an open application... nevermind! are you also a mature student or did they randomly allocate you to Hughes?

ReputationRep:
    Oh whoops you said you did an open application... nevermind! are you also a mature student or did they randomly allocate you to Hughes?
    They couldn't have allocated me to Hughes if I weren't 'mature' Funny thing is, I had no idea I was considered mature as I was (am) 20 when I applied and they consider applicants mature based on their age upon matriculation. I only knew when I was informed of my college allocation. I also read that all mature applicants who put in an open application will get put into one of the mature colleges. I applied for Economics. The lack of information about Hughes online can be quite frustrating sometimes :dry: but I found a blog post by someone who's studying the same course, at the same college, from the same country as me, and only 1 year ago which is as recent and relevant as it gets!

ReputationRep:
    Would you mind my asking which college you originally applied to? And hey, if we both end up at Hughes then that would be slightly comforting. I think it's only reasonable to have doubts/concerns. From my research, Hughes and Edmunds are pretty similar in terms of aesthetic and reputation. I think Edmunds has a little more of a religious/traditional vibe from what I can see, and they seem a little more strict with entrance requirements than Hughes in terms of browsing their sites (they require a lot of additional material to be submitted). I've decided to just leave my application as it is, and fate will decide since there's a pool for mature applications too.

It's funny because yes, as much as people keep saying Wolfson is best (I suspect these are people who went there), it really doesn't appeal aesthetically like you said and their video put me off. Haha. But anyway, I guess we'll see. What course have you applied for?
    The thing Cambridge colleges is, there's no way anyone can have objective, balanced view/opinion on their own/other colleges because you can't be at more than one college at same time and compare the experiences. (Some go to a different college for postgraduate course than their undergraduate college, but life of UG and PG are very different even you're at a same college)

And as you realise now, 'opinions' you read on internet, including this forum, often just represent a handful of active posters' very limited personal experience.
    I've been with this forum for 6/7 yrs now, including the first few years of lurking, and noticed every year there's one or two very 'fashionable/popular' colleges usually because there happen to be a few extremely patoriatic posters persistently plug their collleges.

I've known many Cambridge students over many years, including several in the family and many more among friends/colleagues and their kids, etc. And I can assure you every one of them thinks their college is the best.....including the ones who went to colleges with ugly buildings! And including the ones who were pooled by a college they 'fall in love' as a result of careful research on colleges to another college they hadn't even consider when trying to choose.
    And that's the magic of Cambridge colleges. So please don't worry, you'll be happy whichever you end up.

Edit:
    There's someone else a few days ago who was unsure about Hughes. You might find it useful to read the thread if you haven't yet.
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...2#post69546966
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    It's also worth remembering the cohort changes significantly every year at every college. Freshers arrive, "old" students leave. Most postgrads are only there for a year, and across a 3 year or so cycle the undergrad cohort will be completely different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    It's also worth remembering the cohort changes significantly every year at every college. Freshers arrive, "old" students leave. Most postgrads are only there for a year, and across a 3 year or so cycle the undergrad cohort will be completely different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If it's MPhil, yes.
    But if it's for PhD, it is usually 2 yrs, or even longer In many cases. If I remember correctly, I think Hughes has quite high proportion of PhD students among their PG.

someone can correct me if it's wrong.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.