Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christ's Admissions)
    Mostly jaunty angles. (We've never had Darth Vader in the background, which I believe has occurred at other colleges...)

Last year, the average was 3.6. I anticipate that this will go down slightly this year, as fewer schools are able to offer a fourth A-level.
    3.6! Christ.. (no pun intended) is that biological mixed with physical or just biologists? I didn't think 4 A levels was that common for bio
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.russell)
    3.6! Christ.. (no pun intended) is that biological mixed with physical or just biologists? I didn't think 4 A levels was that common for bio
    That was just biologists, and just 2016 entry.

I think 4 A-levels is getting less common, before you panic too hard!

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to know if there was any view on my feedback? Especially the ECAA, given that seemed quite a common concern... not that the paper was hard (sort of expected that ), but the disparity between the actual paper and practice paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That was just biologists, and just 2016 entry.

I think 4 A-levels is getting less common, before you panic too hard!
    I've already got a pretty easy offer actually as I've done most of my subjects already so only need an A in further maths to get in - just a bit worried about being rubbish when/if I get in.
    P.s. having reviewed my SAQ pic the only jaunty angle is my glasses, it's a pretty serious list tbh pretty regretful...
    As for feedback on application process I thought everything was pretty good and liked the NSAA - I thought it was an interesting exam, if difficult to complete in the allocated time, I would agree knowing AA scores would be useful (and immensely satisfying) to current and potential future applicants.
    I also think it's a shame some people are still waiting for decisions, I understand the pool must be a very difficult process to execute and it may well be near impossible to avoid people waiting 'til around now but I still think that must be awful

ReputationRep:
    Mostly jaunty angles. (We've never had Darth Vader in the background, which I believe has occurred at other colleges...)

Last year, the average was 3.6. I anticipate that this will go down slightly this year, as fewer schools are able to offer a fourth A-level.
    1) Is this 3.6 coming from post a level applicants or what offers holders usually achieve?
    2) Are bio and phys natscis competing for the same spots or are there different amount of rough seats allocated?
    3) how many people applied for natsci (mention how many physical as well please if you can specify) post a level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student1256)
    1) Is this 3.6 coming from post a level applicants or what offers holders usually achieve?
    2) Are bio and phys natscis competing for the same spots or are there different amount of rough seats allocated?
    3) how many people applied for natsci (mention how many physical as well please if you can specify) post a level?
    The 3.6 was the number of A*s ultimately achieved by successful applicants for Biological Natural Sciences at Christ's.

Christ's, like most colleges, has different allocations for the two pathways, so applicants are not competing for the same spots.

We had 16 post- A-level applicants for NatSci at Christ's, across both pathways.

ReputationRep:
    Hope it is ok to repeat a question posted in the reject thread here. If not apologies and won't do it again.

There is a comment circulating in some schools that for those doing Pre-Us and considering reapplying post results, D1s in all 3 or 4 subjects are essential even though a D2 is equivalent to an A* and a D1 is higher still, and don't bother if they are just all D2s especially if the candidate is from what is considered a good school. Is there any degree of truth in that?

ReputationRep:
    The 3.6 was the number of A*s ultimately achieved by successful applicants for Biological Natural Sciences at Christ's.

Christ's, like most colleges, has different allocations for the two pathways, so applicants are not competing for the same spots.

We had 16 post- A-level applicants for NatSci at Christ's, across both pathways.

Out of how many were those 16? How many were accepted and what was their average grade? Sorry if this is too much to ask for; I know you're a very busy person, anyone who works at Cambridge is!

ReputationRep:
    Out of how many were those 16? How many were accepted and what was their average grade? Sorry if this is too much to ask for; I know you're a very busy person, anyone who works at Cambridge is!
    I think that information would be more useful to you, at University level than College level (Christ's alone is a very small sample!) - I will try to get it, but it may take a little time.

ReputationRep:
    I think that information would be more useful to you, at University level than College level (Christ's alone is a very small sample!) - I will try to get it, but it may take a little time.
    You're right! How would I get that information at university level? Is it appropriate to email admissions departments of colleges during the summers or a month or two before October 15?(I know now would not be a good time considering how much work and stress you guys are dealing with!) I plan on asking a few questions from a couple colleges before next the cycle begins to be sure of which college to pick!

ReputationRep:
    May I ask what a good mark for the NSAA would have been? And also to what extent was it used in making offers, did it have for example a 15% contribution?

ReputationRep:
    Is that higher than usual or around average? Anecdotally, there seems to be rather a lot of successful reapplicants this year (I was one of the 16 post A-level applicants at Christ's!) and I was wondering if there's been an increase.

ReputationRep:
    This is maybe not very UG-admission specific, but important nevertheless I think:
    There are so many stereotypes of women-only colleges and I think giving more information (not only on their websites, but also on the university's - because many people won't even look at those colleges' websites) about why they exist and why they are important could help to challenge the often negative view, especially because there are so few women-only institutions that it might easily be the first time to stumble upon one for applicants.
    I think it would be great if this could include that despite there being three female-only colleges, there are still more male students at the university as a whole - many applicants seem to think that men stand less of a chance of getting in when being pooled. I think (or hope) that could be an eye-opener for many.

ReputationRep:
    I felt the admissions process was fairly smooth on the whole. I too would like to see the results of pre-interview assessments; I understand the second part is hard to standardise across the university as each college does it separately; however would it not be possible for the section one marks, which are multiple choice, to be released?

I'm not sure if all applicants were emailed early but I myself got the email quite early which I liked - this was good because it meant I was not waiting too long to find out the result, and especially because my post arrived two days late!

I liked the communication with the admissions team - the responses were prompt and helpful while also quite nice

However, I do have to ask; were there any Christ offers that were not A*A*A or above this year? Even for subjects that have standard offers of A*AA Christ's seem to have given double A*

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Would you be able to provide this data for university level for applicants for music specifically? I understand you are busy at the moment but I would be very humbled. Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    You're right! How would I get that information at university level? Is it appropriate to email admissions departments of colleges during the summers or a month or two before October 15?(I know now would not be a good time considering how much work and stress you guys are dealing with!) I plan on asking a few questions from a couple colleges before next the cycle begins to be sure of which college to pick!
    You could try asking the (central) Cambridge Admissions Office, if the information you want is subject-based rather than college-based. They should have it to hand relatively soon, if they don't already. But I wouldn't recommend that you make a decision about which college to apply to solely on the basis of these kinds of stats - the numbers at college level are very small, and can vary a lot from year to year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auburnstar)
    Would you be able to provide this data for university level for applicants for music specifically? I understand you are busy at the moment but I would be very humbled. Many thanks
    Again, this is something that the Central Admissions Office might be better able to help with. But I'll certainly recommend that Cambridge generally puts more information in the public domain about post-A-level success rates!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhiteScythe)
    May I ask what a good mark for the NSAA would have been? And also to what extent was it used in making offers, did it have for example a 15% contribution?
    Scores for Section 1 were distributed in such a way that the average applicant scored 4. So anything above that is good.

I don't think there is any straightforward way to quantify the role it played in decision-making, and we didn't use it at all in determining who received an offer at Christ's, only in determining who to interview (see earlier posts).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanchit117)
    I felt the admissions process was fairly smooth on the whole. I too would like to see the results of pre-interview assessments; I understand the second part is hard to standardise across the university as each college does it separately; however would it not be possible for the section one marks, which are multiple choice, to be released?

I'm not sure if all applicants were emailed early but I myself got the email quite early which I liked - this was good because it meant I was not waiting too long to find out the result, and especially because my post arrived two days late!

I liked the communication with the admissions team - the responses were prompt and helpful while also quite nice

However, I do have to ask; were there any Christ offers that were not A*A*A or above this year? Even for subjects that have standard offers of A*AA Christ's seem to have given double A*

Thank you
    It's fair to say that Christ's has made stretching offers, across the board, this year, simply because we want to ensure that every student we admit comes to Cambridge with the best possible grounding for his or her course. But we have tailored those offers quite carefully to individual applicants, so some will have been asked for higher overall attainment, some for attainment in a specific subject, and some for attainment across a particular mix of qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    Again, this is something that the Central Admissions Office might be better able to help with. But I'll certainly recommend that Cambridge generally puts more information in the public domain about post-A-level success rates!
    How do I contact the CAO? Do they have a particular email or should I submit an FOI?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.