Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a re-interviewee candidate and haven't been given a firm date of when I should hear by. Perhaps something should be done to help this in the future despite the fact that we are only a small number of candidates.

P.S in other people's experience how long does it normally take between re-interview and offer/rejection?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aussiebou99999)
    I am a re-interviewee candidate and haven't been given a firm date of when I should hear by. Perhaps something should be done to help this in the future despite the fact that we are only a small number of candidates.

P.S in other people's experience how long does it normally take between re-interview and offer/rejection?
    Yes, I absolutely agree that we should do something about it in the future, and will make a recommendation to my colleagues to that effect. There have been some delays this time due to the introduction of a new "open offer" scheme, but you really should hear within a week.

ReputationRep:
    It may have been mentioned already, but what is this 'open offer' scheme if I may ask?

ReputationRep:
    I hear a lot about what Cambridge (and indeed Oxford) are 'looking for' but this generally tends to be expressed in vague and subjective terms eg 'enthusiasm for chosen subject, academic potential and aptitude for the course'.

Is there any resource that would give more concrete detail as to what exactly is wanted eg being able to see multiple arguments in an interview, a particular score in an entrance exam, a certain quality in x written work etc? How much are GCSEs/AS/A2 scores weighted? How does an interviewer arrive at a score of 7 rather than say 8 or 6?

I understand that a good portion of the assessment of candidates is subjective (esp when it's a choice between two very similar candidates with similar backgrounds and knowledge) but I think further transparency in the admissions process would help demystify it and ultimately encourage in particular marginalised groups to apply.

Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions)
    There's so much for everyone to think about during the round and no one makes mistakes deliberately. I've made plenty of mine. In the end, as the situation at Hertford College Oxford shows, it's very much there but for the grace of God go I. All we can do each year is try collectively to make as few mistakes as possible.
    The biggest error that I know of was in January 2009, when one of the Cambridge colleges sent rejection letters to all of their applicants. One of my daughter's friends was affected, with all of his classmates saying "why would they reject him?". He subsequently was one of the British team in the International Chemistry Olympiad.

ReputationRep:
    Im struggling to phrase my feedback any better than this: watching from outside the system as an adult not an applicant it seemed to be a bit of a jumble, with luck playing an equal part to ability. I imagine this is why so many reapply and get in at a later date because the system is personal to each college, you can impress in one where you failed to previously! Having said that this is how the university has clearly operated for 100s of years and I love tradition!

Can I ask a quick question as a parent of a son who is adamant about reapplying to medicine if he gets multiple A* results. Do you know whether Cambridge will open up more places next year in light of the government announcement relating to extra training places for medicine? I'm wondering if there's been a decision about where these places will go and if Cambridge get more, will they be shared proportionately between colleges or used to increase provision at colleges which currently have fewer places?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nicecuppat)
    with luck playing an equal part to ability. I imagine this is why so many reapply and get in at a later date because the system is personal to each college, you can impress in one where you failed to previously!

Can I ask a quick question as a parent of a son who is adamant about reapplying to medicine if he gets multiple A* results.
    'With luck playing an equal part to ability' may very well be the case for some very competitive courses where almost all applicants have very good qualifications, BMAT and good/excellent interviews (medicine being one of those). I think for other courses there is an element of luck which can be pretty significant (field of other applicants, what the general standard is, small details on interview days etc) but maybe it is not equal to ability.

Each college is personal but the admissions is standardised in a sense; if someone is good enough to get into the university but Christ Church has loads of say music applicants, the person will end up at another college. Individual tutors differ for sure and probably have different experiences but there is a bit of standardisation going on.

Reapplicants if they are successful it is because of a) having exceeded standard offer and having that as certain (ie no question mark over academic ability) b) having experience of admissions process and c) having determination/grit as a personality trait.

Good luck to your son. I'm sure he's aware of how competitive medicine is (anywhere, not just Cambridge) and that he should have a good plan if he does do a gap year. But of course he got an interview from Cambridge for medicine, so I don't doubt he already knows this

ReputationRep:
    We should get our admissions assessment/test results without having to go through a whole process to request them.

Honestly, it's mentally stressful not know how well you did (and never finding out). You'd think that, having gone to all that effort to sit those exams, we'd get to see how well we did? Only seems fair to me.

ReputationRep:
    We should also be able to receive our interview scores upon request as it's useful for a candidate in terms of whether reapplying is sensible or in future, for other interviewing opportunities, it would be nice to know how that went. Instead of receiving a generic paragraph after requesting feedback, more transparency in the actual scores the applicant achieved would more useful, such as the admissions test results, interview score, their average UMS compared to the average successful applicant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inister)
    We should get our admissions assessment/test results without having to go through a whole process to request them.

Honestly, it's mentally stressful not know how well you did (and never finding out). You'd think that, having gone to all that effort to sit those exams, we'd get to see how well we did? Only seems fair to me.
    (Original post by potassiumnitrate)
    We should also be able to receive our interview scores upon request as it's useful for a candidate in terms of whether reapplying is sensible or in future, for other interviewing opportunities, it would be nice to know how that went. Instead of receiving a generic paragraph after requesting feedback, more transparency in the actual scores the applicant achieved would more useful, such as the admissions test results, interview score, their average UMS compared to the average successful applicant.
    Seconding these

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h3rmit)
    Seconding these
    Same thoughts here.

Also I would hope there could be some kind of standardisation of the time it takes to receive feedback.

ReputationRep:
    It may have been mentioned already, but what is this 'open offer' scheme if I may ask?
    Cambridge has always made a small number of "open offers" to pooled applicants for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine in the past, and this year the scheme has been extended to include applicants for other courses, from under-represented backgrounds. These applicants are chosen by a cross-collegiate panel of Admissions Tutors and Directors of Studies, after the Winter Pool is over, and receive an offer from the University, rather than a specific College. Their college will be decided in August.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auburnstar)
    I hear a lot about what Cambridge (and indeed Oxford) are 'looking for' but this generally tends to be expressed in vague and subjective terms eg 'enthusiasm for chosen subject, academic potential and aptitude for the course'.

Is there any resource that would give more concrete detail as to what exactly is wanted eg being able to see multiple arguments in an interview, a particular score in an entrance exam, a certain quality in x written work etc? How much are GCSEs/AS/A2 scores weighted? How does an interviewer arrive at a score of 7 rather than say 8 or 6?

I understand that a good portion of the assessment of candidates is subjective (esp when it's a choice between two very similar candidates with similar backgrounds and knowledge) but I think further transparency in the admissions process would help demystify it and ultimately encourage in particular marginalised groups to apply.

Many thanks.
    We do recognize that the criteria for admission can seem a little opaque and all subjects have been asked to consider the specific qualities they seek in potential applicants (following the example of Medicine here - http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...admissions.pdf).

However, I can't stress enough that Cambridge admissions processes are *holistic*, and that there is no straightforward "formula" for success which weights different scores or attributes in a mechanistic way. You may feel that this deters some groups of applicants; taking the opposite approach (and adopting a hard system of "cut-off" points and "threshold scores") might well deter others, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nicecuppat)
    Im struggling to phrase my feedback any better than this: watching from outside the system as an adult not an applicant it seemed to be a bit of a jumble, with luck playing an equal part to ability. I imagine this is why so many reapply and get in at a later date because the system is personal to each college, you can impress in one where you failed to previously! Having said that this is how the university has clearly operated for 100s of years and I love tradition!

Can I ask a quick question as a parent of a son who is adamant about reapplying to medicine if he gets multiple A* results. Do you know whether Cambridge will open up more places next year in light of the government announcement relating to extra training places for medicine? I'm wondering if there's been a decision about where these places will go and if Cambridge get more, will they be shared proportionately between colleges or used to increase provision at colleges which currently have fewer places?

Thank you!
    My understanding is that Cambridge may well open up a few extra places, but that these are likely to be used to extend the Graduate Course in Medicine, rather than the Standard (post A-level) course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inister)

I'm afraid there won't be any automatic release of results (except for the BMAT and ELAT) while the admissions assessments are still in the pilot phase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by potassiumnitrate)
    We have, collectively, discussed the protocol for giving feedback and I hope that most colleges will now be offering something more specific and more helpful than a generic paragraph.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Percypig17)
    Same thoughts here.

Also I would hope there could be some kind of standardisation of the time it takes to receive feedback.
    I do take your point, but I think there is a trade-off between the kind of detail you and others say that you would like to see in feedback, and the promptness with which we can deliver it (which will also vary by college, depending on staffing levels).

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. I figured it might only be one or two more places in each college anyway. Do you think most universities will use this extra allocation to bolster graduate numbers then? It hasn't occurred to me that it might work like that but I suppose it means they can get new doctors sooner.

(Original post by Christ's Admissions)
    My understanding is that Cambridge may well open up a few extra places, but that these are likely to be used to extend the Graduate Course in Medicine, rather than the Standard (post A-level) course.

ReputationRep:
    He's determined to reapply. He didn't get an interview this year and whilst he was very pragmatic about it I think he feels he deserves to have his chance to show what he can do. It's a difficult call though as he felt really positive about another interview and if he received an offer he'd be crazy to turn it down to try again at Cambridge. It'll all be down to grades...and luck!
    (Original post by auburnstar)
    'With luck playing an equal part to ability' may very well be the case for some very competitive courses where almost all applicants have very good qualifications, BMAT and good/excellent interviews (medicine being one of those). I think for other courses there is an element of luck which can be pretty significant (field of other applicants, what the general standard is, small details on interview days etc) but maybe it is not equal to ability.

Each college is personal but the admissions is standardised in a sense; if someone is good enough to get into the university but Christ Church has loads of say music applicants, the person will end up at another college. Individual tutors differ for sure and probably have different experiences but there is a bit of standardisation going on.

Reapplicants if they are successful it is because of a) having exceeded standard offer and having that as certain (ie no question mark over academic ability) b) having experience of admissions process and c) having determination/grit as a personality trait.

Good luck to your son. I'm sure he's aware of how competitive medicine is (anywhere, not just Cambridge) and that he should have a good plan if he does do a gap year. But of course he got an interview from Cambridge for medicine, so I don't doubt he already knows this

ReputationRep:

Not just me then! I don't have a firm date either but my college said the university cut off date is next Friday so definitely before then
    Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.