Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • #1
    • Thread Starter

    Hi all,

    I am currently an FY1 and am looking into options to do a research fellowship in America. Does anyone have any previous experience in applying/doing it?

    Are there any popular funding sources for these kind of programmes?

    Thanks a lot in advance!

    The main ones that come up are Kennedy Scholarships, Frank Knox Fellowships, and Fulbright Scholarships. There are some specific Fulbright Scholarships (e.g. co-funded by the Royal College of Surgeons, the British Heart Foundation, etc) that are more generous in that they will maintain your clinical salary as well as providing a separate maintenance grant. They tend to have quite strict eligibility requirements (e.g. MRCS for the RCSEng Fulbright Scholarship). Kennedy and Knox will also cover tuition fees for one year courses at Harvard or MIT.

    A lot of people say that the Harvard MPH (and similar courses) can be run alongside a reasonably successful research programme and so you could potentially piggy back this onto a research year.

    Individual institutions will also have their own competitive scholarships and successful Principal Investigators in your field will have money that they can spend on staff (e.g. research associates, post-doctoral fellows). They're quite used to employing international doctors for one year research fellowships because many use this as a way into US residency programmes. Medically qualified people usually fall into the category of "post-docs", presumably because US medics hold an MD after 8 years study and this is (despite clearly exercising a different skill set) considered something akin to the status of a UK PhD.

    You need to start planning very early!
Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.