The Student Room Group

Mental health badly affecting college?

I'm an AS level student currently doing 4 a levels. the problem is, i've just been released from a mental health hospital (not as bad as it seems trust me) and was diagnosed with BPD that affects me in a lot of ways. I also have pretty bad insomnia, and issues with self harm etc. All this has really been worsened by college. I've been too tired and stressed to function, not getting any sleep and been having panic attacks a lot more and recently relapsed. I know I'll have to drop out, but I'm not really sure what my options are from there. Can I drop out now and go back to college doing different subjects or a BTEC next September?
I suggest you consult your college. Explain the situation and they'll give you the proper guidance. If you need to take some time out of college, they probably will suggest you come back in September and have a fresh start.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm an AS level student currently doing 4 a levels. the problem is, i've just been released from a mental health hospital (not as bad as it seems trust me) and was diagnosed with BPD that affects me in a lot of ways. I also have pretty bad insomnia, and issues with self harm etc. All this has really been worsened by college. I've been too tired and stressed to function, not getting any sleep and been having panic attacks a lot more and recently relapsed. I know I'll have to drop out, but I'm not really sure what my options are from there. Can I drop out now and go back to college doing different subjects or a BTEC next September?

Make an appointment with your college to discuss your options. It might help you to take some time out, work on your mh in that time, and come back in September. They can help you find what course you want to do and also give you support when you come back.

Quick Reply

Latest