Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been using my canon 100d with its 18-55mm kit lens for a while now, and have been looking at wide angle lenses to get into landscape photography proper. I sometimes find my kit lens isn't quite wide enough for some shots.

There's this Canon 10-22mm one, and a Sigma 10-20mm one that I've been looking at.

Both of these are within my budget. The Canon one is £400 and the Sigma is £330 roughly. There's also this Tokina 11-20mm one which is a bit more expensive but probably still affordable at a stretch if I decide it's better than the others (I haven't looked into that one much yet, someone on reddit just pointed it out to me yesterday).

Has anyone used any of these lenses? Would you recommend them, or one of them? Are there any problems with them that I should be aware of? etc.

It's a big chunk of my money I'll be spending so I want other peoples' opinions before I buy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    I've been using my canon 100d with its 18-55mm kit lens for a while now, and have been looking at wide angle lenses to get into landscape photography proper. I sometimes find my kit lens isn't quite wide enough for some shots.

There's this Canon 10-22mm one, and a Sigma 10-20mm one that I've been looking at.

Both of these are within my budget. The Canon one is £400 and the Sigma is £330 roughly. There's also this Tokina 11-20mm one which is a bit more expensive but probably still affordable at a stretch if I decide it's better than the others (I haven't looked into that one much yet, someone on reddit just pointed it out to me yesterday).

Has anyone used any of these lenses? Would you recommend them, or one of them? Are there any problems with them that I should be aware of? etc.

It's a big chunk of my money I'll be spending so I want other peoples' opinions before I buy.
    I have the Sigma 10-20mm (f4-5.6) and it's pretty much the best purchase I have ever made. I picked it up on eBay in Oct 2013 for around £220. Build quality is far superior to the kit lens, there's a nice weight to it and the zoom and focus rings are somewhat weighted but smooth. It's much heavier than the kit lens but it's not really noticeable when it's on the body.

I'd defo recommend it, it is a brilliant choice for landscape photography
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RF_PineMarten)

Get the Canon 10-18mm IS STM, seriously. The thing is ridiculous value, it's insanely sharp for the money (noticeably sharper than the Canon 10-22 and similarly sharp to the best Sigma/Tamron UWAs in your price range), has image stabilisation, and focusses quickly and quietly. For under £200 there's very little not to like. It's got a slower aperture than the 10-22mm, but this is largely compensated with is and odds are you'll be stopping the lens down for landscapes anyway. If a wide maximum aperture is a big deal to you, then stretch for the Tokina 11-20mm (there's also the older 11-16mm that's great but with a more restrictive range).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.