Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eight billionaires 'as rich as world's poorest half' Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    Your naivety to how the world works is insane.
    Aren't you a good human, donating to charities.
    And here we have soemone incapable of quoting anything unless they are condescending

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astutehirstute)
    That is exactly right.

The left, the Oxfam idiots, who should be helping the poor rather than wasting their donors' money on pointless political posturing, don't get that, and the naive, wet behind the ears students and ex students on here don't get that either.

The rich don't cause the poor to be poor.
    It amazes me that people fail to understand this. Although I suppose it isn't a lack of understanding. People just think it is unfair that other people are rich and they are not. They can't handle it and look to blame the rich people rather than deal with their own situation.

Funny how most of the Oxfam examples were tech founders also.

Leaving aside all the money these guys have given back (Gates himself will give it all back to good causes on his death) these billionaires have transformed our entire planet.

Yet because they are rich, this charity's cretins, single them out as evil.

Like I said earlier there is a crisis in the charity sector. Pubic trust in it is at record lows.

Oxfam has just provided a perfect example of why that is. I used to donate to it, back in the past, but I won't any more. There are other good causes that are more responsible and deserving. It is the same with the Red Cross who said that the fact that people are waiting a few minutes longer in A+E was a "humanitarian crisis."

I had a standing order to donate to them. I stopped it the same day.

I won't pay the salaries of the morons who produce these piles of $hit.

This is such a huge issue with charity and I outright don't donate. Charities claim to be not for profit in aid of helping others and yet charities are run entirely as businesses. Oxfam need to make profits at minimum to pay for buildings, staff and so on. Only then can they look to help other people. People like Gates on the other hand are not aiming to be charitable. They aimed to build a business and once that was successful they were in a position to do more than Oxfam ever could.

On top of that the issue is rarely with lack of money. Third world countries tend to have other issues that need solving. While that requires money, the money itself is not the issue. Giving money to third world countries doesn't solve their problems

ReputationRep:
    I always wonder why people need that much money...there's only so much you can buy and what these 8 people have is surely enough to make all their (financial) dreams come true.
    Having said that, its their money and, although its more than anyone needs, you can't just take it away from them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    It amazes me that people fail to understand this. Although I suppose it isn't a lack of understanding. People just think it is unfair that other people are rich and they are not. They can't handle it and look to blame the rich people rather than deal with their own situation.

This is such a huge issue with charity and I outright don't donate. Charities claim to be not for profit in aid of helping others and yet charities are run entirely as businesses. Oxfam need to make profits at minimum to pay for buildings, staff and so on. Only then can they look to help other people. People like Gates on the other hand are not aiming to be charitable. They aimed to build a business and once that was successful they were in a position to do more than Oxfam ever could.

On top of that the issue is rarely with lack of money. Third world countries tend to have other issues that need solving. While that requires money, the money itself is not the issue. Giving money to third world countries doesn't solve their problems
    I totally agree. Nice to read someone sensible rather than the hordes of virtue signallers emoting and banging on about how "unfair" it is that there are rich people and poor people. And to point out tha obvious truth that a lot more people are poor than hyper rich because only a handful of individuals in every generation have the drive and brilliance to found and run companies like Apple and Microsoft.

The public are turning against the left's failing ideology on matters like these as well as everything else. The charity sector is in crisis as we say, and the scandal of the UK's ludicrously high and corrupt foreign aid budget is cutting through big time also.

And we seem to have shut them up at last on this thread even! Everywhere our ideas are triumphant.
    '

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottie)
    I always wonder why people need that much money...there's only so much you can buy and what these 8 people have is surely enough to make all their (financial) dreams come true.
    Having said that, its their money and, although its more than anyone needs, you can't just take it away from them.
    Need is entirely subjctive. Really nobody needs more than enough to pay the bare essentials like housing and food. For a lot of rich people money is a scorecard. It's not a matter of needing it, it might not even be a matter of wanting it. In the same way you could play football and keep track of how many goals you score, or play an instrument and track your skill, money is a way to track how well you are doing with your business, investing and so on. It's not about needing the money for a purpose. It's about doing something that they want to do. Money is a byproduct of that.

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree. Nice to read someone sensible rather than the hordes of virtue signallers emoting and banging on about how "unfair" it is that there are rich people and poor people. And to point out tha obvious truth that a lot more people are poor than hyper rich because only a handful of individuals in every generation have the drive and brilliance to found and run companies like Apple and Microsoft.

The public are turning against the left's failing ideology on matters like these as well as everything else. The charity sector is in crisis as we say, and the scandal of the UK's ludicrously high and corrupt foreign aid budget is cutting through big time also.

And we seem to have shut them up at last on this thread even! Everywhere our ideas are triumphant.
    '
    Likewise. The entire act of trying to teach this stuff is lost on most people, simply because they lack the requirements to ever get rich in the first place.

Society generally doesn't let people get rich. It instills values like working all your life for a wage. When someone tries to break the mold society pushes back. Society can't cope with different. Society isn't willing to learn about what makes the rich different from the poor. And so society continues it's onward trawl while some of the few people willing to try things differently succeed and achieve far more than society can imagine.

Of course the other issue is that the people who aren't going to do anything are the ones with free time to waste on forums. The ones actually succeeding are out there succeeding, making it difficult to actually share anything with society. You end up with this unbalance where most of society ends up thinking they are right because there's nobody to tell them otherwise. No progress is made and we are back to square one. Take this discussion to a proper business forum, or the comments section of an entrepreneurs blog and you'll have completely different responses. I really should get off TSR and stop wasting time with these people. Problem is people are fun.

Side note: If you happen to be working on any interesting projects at the moment (or have before) I'd be interested in discussing them.

ReputationRep:
    Why are people always so pessimistic towards the success of other people?

These people got rich through their own hard work and effort. They made huge sacrifices to get to where they are, and have pretty much shaped the world through their inventions and companies. They deserve to be as rich as they are. Mark Zuckerberg has transformed the world through Facebook, which has billions of users across the world. Plus, most of these billionaire CEOs have created millions of jobs through their own inventions. The market rewards people based on their economic impact on society.

Why should someone who sits on their arse, or does not have the same ambition be paid the same as someone who has higher ambition and drive? It's like in college, the students that work the hardest and those that are the smartest get the best grades.

Sure, poverty is also a big issue. And it's good to see that these billionaires are contributing towards alleviating poverty. But, it's shortsighted to blame poverty on these eight billionaires. Poverty is also influenced by political corruption, bribery, and lack of natural resources as well. I agree that as a society we should do more to help the poorer in society, particularly those that lack the basic resources and infrastructure to move up. But, it is ridiculous to blame wealthy billionaires who have made their money legally, and are using it to improve peoples lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)

Society generally doesn't let people get rich. It instills values like working all your life for a wage. When someone tries to break the mold society pushes back. Society can't cope with different. Society isn't willing to learn about what makes the rich different from the poor. And so society continues it's onward trawl while some of the few people willing to try things differently succeed and achieve far more than society can imagine.
    Agreed. It isn't just the hard left, examples of whom we have on this thread. Most people are just wage slave sheep, too frightened of losing the security of the monthly pay packet to branch out and take the risk of setting up a business. Giving them the freedom that entails, the satisfaction of achieving something tangible, and of course the financial rewards that go with it if it is successful.

(Original post by Acsel)
    Take this discussion to a proper business forum, or the comments section of an entrepreneurs blog and you'll have completely different responses. I really should get off TSR and stop wasting time with these people. Problem is people are fun.
    Agreed too. I find this website diverting, addictively so even, but must move on from it soon. This thread has really demonstrated how childish almost all the posters are. They are not stupid, I am not saying that, but they have haven't got a clue, if we are being brutally honest. They'll grow up eventually, I guess.

(Original post by Acsel)
    Side note: If you happen to be working on any interesting projects at the moment (or have before) I'd be interested in discussing them.
    Funny you should ask, actually. At the moment I have some residential property which I let out and I trade stocks and commodities. But the market is looking very toppy in the Thames Valley, where I am based (it has already slowed in London obviously) and I am thinking of cashing out, and doing something else with the capital.

Not sure how much help I can be, although I have done many different things over the years and lost a lot of money in my time as well as making it. So you are welcome to PM me. I can tell you what not to do, at the very least!

Top of my list would be, don't buy fixer uppers in an historic area of New Orleans, next door to a crime ridden black housing project that was being knocked down, with the bright idea of making money from the gentrification of the neighbourhood that would entail, once the drug gangs leave, a few months before the whole city gets wiped out by a hurricane.

I laugh but that one still hurts.

What are you currently working on, or are you planning?

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. It isn't just the hard left, examples of whom we have on this thread. Most people are just wage slave sheep, too frightened of losing the security of the monthly pay packet to branch out and take the risk of setting up a business. Giving them the freedom that entails, the satisfaction of achieving something tangible, and of course the financial rewards that go with it if it is successful.
    Can't really blame them, change and risk are scary. If someone says they can change your life most people shirk away because change means breaking the daily cycle.

Agreed too. I find this website diverting, addictively so even, but must move on from it soon. This thread has really demonstrated how childish almost all the posters are. They are not stupid, I am not saying that, but they have haven't got a clue, if we are being brutally honest. They'll grow up eventually, I guess.
    Well it is a student forum. There's an expectation that many of the people don't know much about how the world works. Hell I'm only 21, I've got a lot to learn as well. They key difference is that I read and follow success. Most people are happy reading gossip stories and fiction. Nothing wrong with that of course, if they enjoy the lifestyle that's fine. But if I did that I'd feel like I were wasting my life away.

Funny you should ask, actually. At the moment I have some residential property which I let out and I trade stocks and commodities. But the market is looking very toppy in the Thames Valley, where I am based (it has already slowed in London obviously) and I am thinking of cashing out, and doing something else with the capital.

Not sure how much help I can be, although I have done many different things over the years and lost a lot of money in my time as well as making it. So you are welcome to PM me. I can tell you what not to do, at the very least!

Top of my list would be, don't buy fixer uppers in an historic area of New Orleans, next door to a crime ridden black housing project that was being knocked down, with the bright idea of making money from the gentrification of the neighbourhood that would entail, once the drug gangs leave, a few months before the whole city gets wiped out by a hurricane.

I laugh but that one still hurts.

What are you currently working on, or are you planning?
    I shouldn't laugh but that hurricane really was a stroke of bad luck. I will definitely take on board to avoid hurricanes in the future

Sounds like you're doing a lot better than me. I'm a uni student at the moment so I don't really have the expendable income to get invovled with property. I've dabbled with a few different thigns (before I started looking at entreprenurial stuff seriously). I've got an old YouTube channel that I don't maintain and I did some graphic design stuff at college, they make barely anything but it pays for my laundry. I guess making those first few pounds are what really got me interested in the first place.

I started (and restarted) a blog several times, with the intention to writing a book and generally build a merchandise store but lacked the motivation. I really didn't enjoy writing, even about topics I liked. Someone recommended I start tutoring which would bring in a few hundred a month, but I disliked the idea of what was effectively a job. There would have been no room for real expansion and the money is directly related to the time that goes in. I've always been more focused on passive income streams, stuff that doesn't require my attention all the time to make any money.

At the moment I've taken a step back from trying to make money in order to re-evaluate how I'm going about it. I'm lacking in the idea department at the moment and I've been letting stuff get in the way of idea generation. I seem to be doing better than many people (depsite my profits barely hitting triple digits) but there hasn't been anything I've really felt passionate about pursuing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    And here we have soemone incapable of quoting anything unless they are condescending
    Says the guy arguing poor people are poor because they deserve it, because they have no value to humanity.

ReputationRep:
    "too frightened of losing the security of the monthly pay packet to branch out and take the risk of setting up a business. Giving them the freedom that entails, the satisfaction of achieving something tangible, and of course the financial rewards that go with it if it is successful."

So everyone should go out and try, coz one day they will magically succeed and get rich?

Reading your two's love story is too cute.

ReputationRep:
    Says the guy arguing poor people are poor because they deserve it, because they have no value to humanity.
    Once again your inability to read makes you look like a moron. I never said anything of the sort.

"too frightened of losing the security of the monthly pay packet to branch out and take the risk of setting up a business. Giving them the freedom that entails, the satisfaction of achieving something tangible, and of course the financial rewards that go with it if it is successful."

So everyone should go out and try, coz one day they will magically succeed and get rich?

Reading your two's love story is too cute.
    Oh hey, once again you failed to comprehend. Most people are too afraid of losing their security to try. That's because there are legitimate risks. It may well not work out. They won't magically suceed. The people that are afraid are right to be afraid. Not everyone should try because most are not capable.

You just couldn't go without trying to be insulting could you. It's become abundantly clear that you hold a personal grudge against the rich and anyone that disagrees with you. I'm going to guess that's because of your own poor monetary situation. After all you don't hear rich people complaining about being too rich. It's a pity you're so narrow minded and incapable of comprehension. You could learn something if you stopped being such an *******

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Can't really blame them, change and risk are scary. If someone says they can change your life most people shirk away because change means breaking the daily cycle.

Well it is a student forum. There's an expectation that many of the people don't know much about how the world works. Hell I'm only 21, I've got a lot to learn as well. They key difference is that I read and follow success. Most people are happy reading gossip stories and fiction. Nothing wrong with that of course, if they enjoy the lifestyle that's fine. But if I did that I'd feel like I were wasting my life away.

I shouldn't laugh but that hurricane really was a stroke of bad luck. I will definitely take on board to avoid hurricanes in the future

Sounds like you're doing a lot better than me. I'm a uni student at the moment so I don't really have the expendable income to get invovled with property. I've dabbled with a few different thigns (before I started looking at entreprenurial stuff seriously). I've got an old YouTube channel that I don't maintain and I did some graphic design stuff at college, they make barely anything but it pays for my laundry. I guess making those first few pounds are what really got me interested in the first place.

I started (and restarted) a blog several times, with the intention to writing a book and generally build a merchandise store but lacked the motivation. I really didn't enjoy writing, even about topics I liked. Someone recommended I start tutoring which would bring in a few hundred a month, but I disliked the idea of what was effectively a job. There would have been no room for real expansion and the money is directly related to the time that goes in. I've always been more focused on passive income streams, stuff that doesn't require my attention all the time to make any money.

At the moment I've taken a step back from trying to make money in order to re-evaluate how I'm going about it. I'm lacking in the idea department at the moment and I've been letting stuff get in the way of idea generation. I seem to be doing better than many people (depsite my profits barely hitting triple digits) but there hasn't been anything I've really felt passionate about pursuing.
    Stick at it! From the little you have told me you seem to have the mindset of an entrepreneur rather than a corporate drone.

Even if you have to take a salary slave job, (I have done it myself) keep trying the different ideas. You only need one to work and you are off to the races. You can tell then enjoy telling them where to stick their job. And if you have to steal someone else's idea, have no compunction! It is not always he who has the best idea, but he who makes the most of that idea.

My big break wasn't due to a great idea, (although I did a lot of thinking about it) but the willingness to risk every bit of capital I had accumulated till then on something with no better chance of success than from a flip of a coin. It worked, I might have lost it all.

Like I did in New Orleans where it was impossible to get insurance before (because of termite infestation), and after Katrina I didn't qualify for Federal compensation because I was an "alien." The delightful term American bureaucrats call foreigners they have decided to shaft.

Whatever. That was my worst single loss, but there have been others, all painful. But I have never lost anything REALLY important, only money. Easy come, easy go. That is how you have to think about it. If you started getting upset by financial losses you would go crazy. Well you wouldn't be doing this sort of stuff in the first place, you would be working nine to five, taking orders and dealing with all the bull$hit of corporate politics.

For most people that is the best choice for them. Some sort of career working for someone else.

But not for all of us. You have to be able to jump off from the tightrope of the security of a paycheck at the end of every month, which pays the rent, and puts food on your table. It IS daunting to do it. But having done so, you never look back..

The key to working for yourself (IMO) is resilience, (the ability to bounce back from failure) and an abnormally high tolerance of risk. Otherwise it isn't that hard really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Once again your inability to read makes you look like a moron. I never said anything of the sort.

Oh hey, once again you failed to comprehend. Most people are too afraid of losing their security to try. That's because there are legitimate risks. It may well not work out. They won't magically suceed. The people that are afraid are right to be afraid. Not everyone should try because most are not capable.

You just couldn't go without trying to be insulting could you. It's become abundantly clear that you hold a personal grudge against the rich and anyone that disagrees with you. I'm going to guess that's because of your own poor monetary situation. After all you don't hear rich people complaining about being too rich. It's a pity you're so narrow minded and incapable of comprehension. You could learn something if you stopped being such an *******
    Learn something from you? Lol'd.

Lol'd even more at the part in bold. From what you have written, I have vastly more than you But unlike you I don't think "oh goodie, I am such a great person, I worked so hard and took so many risks, others just need to do the same".

ReputationRep:
    Learn something from you? Lol'd.

Lol'd even more at the part in bold. From what you have written, I have vastly more than you But unlike you I don't think "oh goodie, I am such a great person, I worked so hard and took so many risks, others just need to do the same".
    Cool story bro

ReputationRep:
    Stick at it! From the little you have told me you seem to have the mindset of an entrepreneur rather than a corporate drone.

I've ploughed through several dozen books in the last year, good to see some of it sunk in hahaha

My big break wasn't due to a great idea, (although I did a lot of thinking about it) but the willingness to risk every bit of capital I had accumulated till then on something with no better chance of success than from a flip of a coin. It worked, I might have lost it all.
    I'm not sure I'd ever take that sort of risk but then I've not been in that situation so who can say. I prefer calculated risks, or risks where failure isn't a problem.

I'll defintiely get there one day. I'm prepared for failure of course. But if you never try you never succeed. 1 action is better than 100 plans. At the end of the day it's better, more varied and more enjoyable than working. At school people always said I'd be the one making millions because I was smart. Academically it probably doesn't matter but there is some truth in what they said. I don't know anyone the slightest bit like me irl.

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm. Look these billionaires are so rich so they should help out the poor. Like no one needs that much money... How you can force them to help idk. I think its just stupid if you have ridiculous amounts of money like that like think of how many lives you can save. Sure these people have worked hard and it trickles down to people but that just takes too long. Sure these people have worked hard but others e.g. people in Africa didn't have a chance and suffer too much already. You can't label as lazy and not hard working. The rich, middle class and lower however need to exist because people need to wake up and actually work. People actually need to take out the bins. Wouldn't it be nice though if everyone had food, shelter, some comfort and hope.

Billionaires should donate quite a bit imho like they could save millions of lives. A little extra comfort for certain compared to millions of lives is nothing

ReputationRep:
    "It is not that they deserve these fortunes but that all of the alternative systems that have been tried, bring greater evils."

No they have not so please do not pretend they have,

"The point is that it's a story trotted out on a regular basis, in this case just before every world economic forum."

and still the poor starve and you eat on.

"What would you do to close the gap?" asked

1. Danny Dorito

and I've not noticed any answers, so here is my solution:

that rich man's tool, The Stock Market would have to go, along with all the fantasy Exchange Rates System.

All arms sales would cease and true participatory democracies/communes/tribes would be established worldwide.

Education would be improved/'adjusted' and the same to all citizens worldwide, no more Private ( paid for an individual) education.

That would be a bare start.

ReputationRep:
    They've earnt the money so they should keep it. Not their fault that countries have incompetent leaders or have no resources. Most of them donate their money anyway. Want to close the gap? Reach to their level, don't expect them to come down to yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emz99)
    hmmmm. Look these billionaires are so rich so they should help out the poor. Like no one needs that much money... How you can force them to help idk. I think its just stupid if you have ridiculous amounts of money like that like think of how many lives you can save. Sure these people have worked hard and it trickles down to people but that just takes too long. Sure these people have worked hard but others e.g. people in Africa didn't have a chance and suffer too much already. You can't label as lazy and not hard working. The rich, middle class and lower however need to exist because people need to wake up and actually work. People actually need to take out the bins. Wouldn't it be nice though if everyone had food, shelter, some comfort and hope.

Billionaires should donate quite a bit imho like they could save millions of lives. A little extra comfort for certain compared to millions of lives is nothing
    It's already been discussed that some of the people on the list do far more than traditional charities in terms of donating. Bill Gates donations far outclass Oxfam for example.

What actual reason can you give to back that up though? Billionaires should donate? Why? What you are saying is that if you work hard and earn far more than everyone else then you should spend the money not on yourself or your creations but on other people? Apply that to normal people, you now have to go out to work 40 hours a week and 10% of your pay will be taken away for charity. There's no reason anyone should donate to charity, if you want to that is of course your choice. But nobody should be forced to send their money elsewhere. Whatever you work for is yours to do with as you please.

Of course this does highlight another reason many people don't get rich. Anyone rich is morally obligated by society to do far more than their fair share. Earn millions and all of a sudden society expects you to start using it to fix the world. Meanwhile you have no qualms about your coworker who does nothing.

Oxfam reportedly donated £286.5m in 2012. The population of the UK is around 64 million. If you were to take £5 from everyone in the UK, once a year you'd have £320m. If you did that though, plenty of people would complain. Charity does not start and stop with rich people. Rich people are not obligated to be more charitable just because they have more money than you. And that's ignoring the fact that many rich people are already far more charitable than normal people. The problem with charity does not lie with the rich.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.