revisionlad
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I know that eukaryote cells contain double membrane bound organelles...But is the membrane of the eukaryote itself a double membrane?
Hajra Momoniat
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes it is. This is because of the lipid bilayer that is part of the membrane. (Bi is referring to two)
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by revisionlad)
I know that eukaryote cells contain double membrane bound organelles...But is the membrane of the eukaryote itself a double membrane?
Yes, the membrane of the cell is double layered you often hear it referred to as a phospholipid bilayer
AortaStudyMore
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by revisionlad)
Although the answers that have been given are correct, were you perhaps asking whether a cell has a double membrane like that of a mitochondrion for example? Because in that case no, the cell membrane is not a double membrane. The cell membrane is a single phospholipid bilayer, while mitochondria have inner and outer membranes with an intermembrane space (which is very important in mitochondria).
AortaStudyMore
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Because technically the phospholipid bilayer forms just one membrane, it is not a double membrane so to speak
revisionlad
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thanks for the answers everyone
Hajra Momoniat
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Np
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (246)
60.29%
No (84)
20.59%
Not sure (78)
19.12%

Watched Threads