Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    My name is Katie. I am 22 years old and I'm at college studying National 5s in Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths.

My secondary schooling was majorly interrupted through ill-health and bullying. I made the decision to go back to college to gain qualifications. My ultimate aim is to study medicine at university, however if that isn't
    possible I am also interested in studying either psychology or pharmacy.

To be allowed to take 5 Highers next year, I need to get good grades this year. I have missed a lot of classes due to my mental health, so I'm really going to have to put the work in. I hope that by starting Grow Your Grades and having to be accountable, this will help motivate me.

My goal grades are:
    Chemistry - A
    Physics - A
    Biology - A
    Maths - B

So far I have been getting 80% and above in each NAB I have sat - even managed 100% in two chemistry NABs!

I am struggling with maths however, hence why I said I am aiming for a B grade.

Excited to begin my accountable journey....

ReputationRep:
    Hope college is a fresh start for you Katie! It sounds like you are making good progress.

If I remember correctly, NABs for science and maths are set at "C-level", which means the questions are designed to be less complex and test the minimum standards of competence. Just want to warn you that the jump from Nat 5 to Higher is pretty big, (and the jump from Higher to Advanced Higher is even bigger), so try to attend classes next year. I've known many peers who've achieved 8 A's at Nat 5 but scraped passes or failed their Highers. I've also known many people who have achieved 5 A's at Higher, and have failed AH. Nat 5 is mostly memory of rudimentary knowledge. It's easy to "coast" through this level- most people do.

Also for medicine, universities require applicants to have some work experience (in a healthcare setting) and volunteering. I'm sure you already know this, but medicine is one of the most competitive courses. Many excellent candidates get rejected each year. You'll need solid academics and relevant extra-curriculars. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    As above - don't forget the work experience/voluntary work. Its essentially compulsory for medicine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.